Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a guage for my 77' 350 trans. I overheated it last weekend and about burnt my truck down. Problem is a guage wont do me any good if i dont know how hot is too hot. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so as long as its under 200 than it shouldnt puke fluid?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Puking fluid is like 300 deg. VERY bad when it get's to that point. Most places will agree that damage starts happening at about 200 degrees. Get a BIG cooler. Pep Girls sells a Stack plate cooler kit by Hayden for GM trucks for about $60. Stack plates are more effeciant that the tube style. THis is simular to the B&M stack plate cooler. With that cooler I rarely see above 160 tranny temp in the pan. Highest I have ever seen was 180. That was towing a car up a real steep long grade on I75 just south of Knoxville. Semis were down to 40mph. That was with 3.08 gears and 32's.
There is lots of debate as to where is best to check the temp. My feeling is the pan is best. It is going to see the temp AFTER it has dropped from the clutches. The presure side of the pump if your going for a line version gage should get about the same reading. If you want to get real slick you can put in a line sender before and after the cooler and see how much drop the cooler gives you on the same gage. just need a single pole double throw switch (radio shack) and you can switch between the two senders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, i guess i should have read this before i ordered a cooler. I just opened up the summit catalog and ordered the biggest one i could afford. 26,000 GVWR i hope it does the job.

Thanks again,
Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts