Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 77 Blazer (400-Th350-205) and want to swap out the auto for the sm465. Anyone know what I will need to just install the trans?? I have the pedals, tranny and stick. I don't know what bellhousing, flywheel, xfer case adapter or anything else I might need.. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Chris :confused:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would be nice but unfortunatly I need to budget this swap... plus I need as bolt in as possible, since fab tools are out of reach for me.. for now.. Thanks anyway!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You need the trans, adapter, and the proper input for the TC. Th350/np205 has afine spline input male to male with a coupler between them. A SM465/ np205 has a course spline output/ input with a coupler between them.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey 70~K5,

Do you know what bellhousing and flywheel i need?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
cdgvw1 said:
Hey 70~K5,

Do you know what bellhousing and flywheel i need?
You need a flywheel for a SBC400 it's externaly balanced. For the bellhousing it depends on what year trans you get. Some of the trans have the lowwer two bolts threaded from inside the bellhousing into the trans. If all 4 holes in the trans aren't threaded use the late style bellhousing. If the lowwer two trans bolt holes are threaded use the early cast iron bellhousing.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look into the hanger brackets and all the other parts this weekend at the P-n-P.. Thanks all! :cool:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
funny im doing the same exact thing right NOW
I have a 1969 GMC with a 350 and 205 and I bought a 465-205 set up from a 1973 chevy. the 205 that was behind the 350 was rebuilt so I swapped input shafts to keep it (very easy to do)
there are a few different ways to get the clutch linkage to work. the old way had the swivel arm (the part that connects the peddel to the clutch fork) bolted to the frame and then to the ENGINE. [1967-1972] the newer way 1073-85 or so had the swivel bolted to the bell housing then to the frame. the there is the Hydro setup(best)

I have likage for both set ups but im going to see which one is better

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am also doing the swap. I am going to probably try to tap out a bellhousing then bolt up a hydraulic slave cylinder to the bellhousing. As for changing over, you will need a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch all the same size. Unless you are probably going to be doing a lot of high horsepower or higher rpm driving you will not need a performance clutch. Since i am swapping in two sm465's i got a used clutch that still has some surface left. You will also need bolts that are a little longer for the flywheel to crank as well as bolts that bolt the clutch to the pressure plate unless you buy a kit. I got the flywheel to crank bolts from my local chevy house for about .58 a piece. If you need any other suggestions, lemme know. I am more than happy to help. Just Pm me.
-browncow

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
I have everything you guys are looking for to do this swap. I even have a 4" adapter and 203 range box for those of you that wanna run a doubler.
Lemme know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can buy a bolt-on weight, that adapts a 350/427 flywheel, to a 400/454. Not sure how it would be in a high rpm APP, but with a stock 400, it worked fine in my Blazer...

Also, Im not sure about how everyone feels about tapping the trans case, or using nuts on the lower bolts, but the later model, cast aluminum bellhousings, seem to crack, pretty easily, in light wheeling. When they do break, you're screwed...

A friend of mine has broken two of them. I can't really vouch for how they installed them, though... I was only there when one broke, after an slow encounter with a big rock...

-Marty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts