Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
I have welded those tabs on before..and even fixed cracked bellhousings. All have been from botched installations. All have worked fine. If you broke it wheeling then more might be bent and a good idea to replace the case or cut the housing off for the ultra bell. For sure you won't break a bell housing again.

More common, it seems, is to break the back of the tranny off. I broke mine right through the pan (And didn't hurt the bell part)

I also have a turbo 400 with a SuperBell attached but don't like how they are attached to the pump housing. They were really developed for exploding converters with tranny strength a second feature (if at all). In the last couple years there have been some transmission gear explosions. Being that our butts are right there, many of the smart builders are using 1/4" T6 alum plate for flooring or adding a scatter shield.

Today, I would buy the Reid case and bell housing and be done with any worries at all. The soild case with bell is in the $1900 range. I would give Reid a call because the bell you could buy for your present 400 might fit their legara case in the future. Many talk about builds from $6-10k+ but relatively stock internals work for probably 90% of the offroading applications.

I'm on the same page with Dustin. The guys at Reid live offroad and could help guide you in the right direction knowing your wheeling and application.

Super Hydra 400® - Offroad version
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,183 Posts
done couple th400 changes.
pretty easy to install just cut and trim the old belhousing from tranny.
jw ultra bell mounts to the oil pump bolts.

use sealant in the oilpump bolts or they might leak.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I have one on my 400. It is fairly easy to do (I have done three of them now). Drill some 1/8" holes from the inside to use as a guide and cut the bulk of it off with a sawzall. Trim up to fit with a flap wheel. Silicone the bolts.
I put it on there as a scattershield as that part of the bellhousing is right next to my feet and that makes me a little nervous. No issues with the bellhousing being attached to the pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the info. I welded up my bell housing for now. Probably going to do the ultra bell housing if my welds don't hold for budget reasons. Sounds like the biggest deal with the JW ultrabell is sealing the bolts on the pump. Thanks again I really appreciate the info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
I have one on my 400. It is fairly easy to do (I have done three of them now). Drill some 1/8" holes from the inside to use as a guide and cut the bulk of it off with a sawzall. Trim up to fit with a flap wheel. Silicone the bolts.
I put it on there as a scattershield as that part of the bellhousing is right next to my feet and that makes me a little nervous. No issues with the bellhousing being attached to the pump.

Another thing i've done as well, is on 6 bolt pumps, since the bellhousing comes with all 8 possible bolt holes for older models, is drill the 7th bolt hole through the front pump half, and drill/tap the case for it. an extra bolt isn't a bad thing!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top