Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody running a th400 with a full manual reverse valve body and compression breaking on the street? I am thinking about doing a valve body in my K5 but want to know if there will be any problems running it on the street before I do it. If you are running it can you give me some feedback on what you think? I posted this in the Chevy forum and got some vague answers so I figured I would post it here.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I ran a buggy, trying to bang through the gears fast, got carried away, pushed the shifter fwd (instead of pull back) at the end of 2nd gear red line.......

what do you think happened next?

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jstarnes said:
I ran a buggy, trying to bang through the gears fast, got carried away, pushed the shifter fwd (instead of pull back) at the end of 2nd gear red line.......

what do you think happened next?

:flipoff2:
I guess you made a very expensive mistake.:eek:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I just got one put in my Jeep. I would recommend using a non compression braking VB. The 2nd to 1st downshift is really harsh! I had a non compression braking VB in it before and it would be fine for the street IMO.
By the way, I have my old VB for sale if you want. I think I paid 2-something for it but I'll let it go for 100 shipped.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ASTAR said:
I just got one put in my Jeep. I would recommend using a non compression braking VB. The 2nd to 1st downshift is really harsh! I had a non compression braking VB in it before and it would be fine for the street IMO.
By the way, I have my old VB for sale if you want. I think I paid 2-something for it but I'll let it go for 100 shipped.
PM me some details and I will think about it. I am really leaning toward the compression braking though just for the steep downhills around here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In my rig I first used a full manual valve body with comp braking from Art Car. Worked great but the stupid ass reverse pattern drove me nuts. Anyway after having my trans guy chew on what could be done he actually figured out an inexspensive way to do exactly what I want with a normal shift pattern. I'll find out the details from him and post back up in a day or two.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had one on my old K5 with out the compression braking. I can tell you that the full manual valve body runs at full line pressure at all times. When you go from 1st to 2nd it happens RIGHT NOW. No smooth shifts, no easy transition**BANG** there is 2nd **BANG** there is 3rd. I would have to let up off the gas just like a stick before I would shift to prevent the 38's from barking.

It also does away with the vacuum modulator and the kickdown cable which really means nothing, just thought I would throw that in.

I am going with a B&M modified valve body this time around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts