Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a truck with a 350TBI and a swapped in TH400 and NP205, problem is when I am driving it shifts up through the gears fine, but when I slow down it doesn't down shift, I have to manually move my shifter to 2 and 1 to get it to go down. I don't see a spot for a TV cable to hook on, near the transfercase adaptor on the drivers side is an electrical connector with 3 or 4 terminals in it, but there is nothing hooked up to it, should there be? Where would the TV cable go on the tranny if it's supposed to have one?
Sorry for the stupid question, but I don't know anything about auto's, I love the SM465's it might be time for a swap.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
400s don't have a kickdown cable, it uses 2 volts to kickdown. But what you have sounds more like the governor. I dont think vacuum would do anything, that controls upshifts IIR.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, It has a vacuum hose running from the intake manifold down to the passenger side of the tranny.
Do you know where the 2 volts is supposed to come from, and which terminals I need to hook up on the plug in the tranny?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I did some google searching on the electric downshift solenoid, it's a small vertical terminal that is just above the pan, mines broken off and there is no downsift switch mounted to my TB.

Next question can I change the part in the side of the tranny that the wire connects to? Where can I buy it, and the switch for my throttle?
Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does the electric solenoid control downshifts and kickdown, or does it just control the kickdown.
From my searching it seems that KWTMECH is onto something with the sticky governor. Is there anything I should know before I take the governor cover off?
Does the solenoid switch only activate when the throttle is wide open?
Auto's seem to be fairly complicated.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Wide open throttle on the KICK DOWN solenoid. It does not control down shifts. Just pull the 4 -- 1/2'' socket bolts on the cover and pull out the governor valve. A small amount of fluid will come out. Inspect the nylon gear for wear and what I call grooving. Also with the gear pointing up, push the weights/laps up and down and see if the valve inside is moving up and down. Also inspect the pins holding everything together. Sometimes they will wear out and into the weights making everything kinda flop around.

Yes you can change the connector, but you have to remove the oil pan to do so. The connector can be purchased at probably any tranny shop, I think they are about 4-5 dollars. Don't forget the pan gasket and a new filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts