Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, putting together a little project trail rig. on Chevy 1 tons, dana 300 tcase, 5:38 gears, and 4.1 in the 300. Putting in a 4.3 currently and trying to decide which tranny would be the best? If you could shed some light it will be appreciated. Also I would like to know whats the best upgrades/necessary things to do to an automatic tranny for steep climbs and crawling, thanks guys!!:D

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
The TH400 is stronger and simpler, the 700R4/4L60E has a better first gear ratio and has an overdrive.

My vote goes to the TH400 since you have deep gearing in the t-case.

As for helping at angles, a deep pan (with a deep pickup) helps a lot. You can also overfill the trans by a quart or so, but overfill it too much and :nuke:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
depends if you want to drive on the road and have overdrive..if its simply offroad i'd suggest the th400 but if it was onroad the 460le or the 700r4 with a shift kit in either application.

·
Registered
662 Posts
depends if you want to drive on the road and have overdrive..if its simply offroad i'd suggest the th400 but if it was onroad the 460le or the 700r4 with a shift kit in either application.

Why a shift kit? With the low gears he is running, slammin the gears will put his head thru the back window!LOL:D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why a shift kit? With the low gears he is running, slammin the gears will put his head thru the back window!LOL
A shift kit doesn't mean that the transmission will shift hard. I rebuild 2-5 transmissions a week(OEM cars and performance cars and trucks) and EVERY single transmission i rebuild, whether its for the 80 year old grandma driving a towncar or the 19 yr olds suped up mustang, gets a shift kit.

Shift kits are also being refered to more now as reprogramming kits, they aren't simply for performance.

Example, the shift kit i install in all 400's Corrects and Prevents Soft Late Shifts, 3rd clutch burnup, rough 1-2, Excess passing gear and late shifts. The 4l60e's have ALOT of problems from the factory and they shift awesome after i'm done with them

All in all they make for a better, smoother, more reliable and long lasting transmission.

Brendan Burke
Performance Innovation
910-515-4762

1 - 7 of 7 Posts