Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 CUCV K5 Blazer
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M1009 CUCV K5 blazer
Hello, I read another post from 2011 on Px4. The answers are a little vague.
I have a th400 with np208 (current) behind a 6.2L Diesel CUCV. Current Gears: 4.10. This is very slow while driving around. I have a 700r4 HD (K model) with np241 (from 1990 Z71 4x4) and want to put in for the 4th Gear. Fingers crossed for 65 mph without high RPM's on the 6.2L D. Will this bolt right in or do I have to make changes to make it work.

What I am kind of tracking:
May have to have drive line shortened? I changed the rear end out (14 bolt) and the new driveline seems about 1.5 inches shorter now from old one.
Will I have to adjust the trans bracket (re-drill new holes for placement)?
The TV cable with diesel? Also the small plug in with 4 pins on the side of 700r4? (emissions plug?)

What am I missing or helpful directions with doing this.

·
blatant asshole
12,737 Posts
The plug is for converter lock up. You dont need it but you can buy a transgo stand alone and tuneable unit or ever just a rocker switch to lock it on the freeway.

Is the tcase mount the same style as your th400 style?
Youll have to move it but you may have to swap the crossmember for the right one/modify yours.

700r4 came behind 6.2 factory so id seach google and ebay to see whats used/available

·
Premium Member
1985 CUCV K5 Blazer
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plug is for converter lock up. You dont need it but you can buy a transgo stand alone and tuneable unit or ever just a rocker switch to lock it on the freeway.

Is the tcase mount the same style as your th400 style?
Youll have to move it but you may have to swap the crossmember for the right one/modify yours.

700r4 came behind 6.2 factory so id seach google and ebay to see whats used/available
I have the 700r4 and T-case. The case looks very close. I will look into xcross member for it or bushing replacement. I’m interested in the converter lockout, not sure what that does, but will look into a switch? Thank you. I will continue to research.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Your 700R/Tcase combo is pass drop correct? Just stating the obvious. The 1990 Z71 is making me think IFS truck...didn't think square body Blazers/Subs came with Z71 <<<not sure when the Z71 actually started..for me it was the GMT400 years with IFS and the "flashy" Z71 sticker on the side...LOL

·
Premium Member
1985 CUCV K5 Blazer
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 700R/Tcase combo is pass drop correct? Just stating the obvious. The 1990 Z71 is making me think IFS truck...didn't think square body Blazers/Subs came with Z71 <<<not sure when the Z71 actually started..for me it was the GMT400 years with IFS and the "flashy" Z71 sticker on the side...LOL
I pulled the Transmission and T-case from an old 1990 Chevy Truck Z71 I had along time ago. From everything I can find on the transmission and research of what my have came out of, points to 700R4 or 4L60 but I was able to rule out the 4L60 after looking more into it.
I currently have a 1985 CUCV K5 blazer.

The main questions is:
With the (4speed) 700R4+T-case, what will it take to install this to to the 6.2L Diesel with a th400 (3speed) CUCV K5?
I want this 4 speed to work, cause I have a 14 bolt in the CUCV now with 4.10 and the 6.2L has high rpm now.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I'm just making sure you verified which drop the NP241 is....passenger or driver? Again, I guess the 1990 Z71 is throwing me towards a 1/2T...so driver drop which is opposite of your M1009. My unknown is when "Z71" began and on what generation/body style...
squarebody (C/K) or GMT400?
Edit...700r became 4l60 in 1991....4l60E in 1993 IIRC...

·
Premium Member
1985 CUCV K5 Blazer
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just making sure you verified which drop the NP241 is....passenger or driver? Again, I guess the 1990 Z71 is throwing me towards a 1/2T...so driver drop which is opposite of your M1009. My unknown is when "Z71" began and on what generation/body style...
squarebody (C/K) or GMT400?
Edit...700r became 4l60 in 1991....4l60E in 1993 IIRC...
OMFG!!! the drop is the driver side. An the NP208 in it is the passenger side. I never saw that. Can I just clock the connecter mount 180?

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Compare cost to finding an alternate Tcase. I know yards around me think that used engines, trans, and Tcases are like gold $$. I consider used engines/trans/Tcases are essentially cores without knowing how they were treated before hand.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
This just came to mind...before you swap the trans, Iam not 100% on this and I am sure someone can help me out here.....but the Tq converter differences between the gas T700r you have and the diesel it's going onto...good/bad/makes no difference in regards to gas vs diesel converters...?

·
Registered
68 Posts
As mentioned above the TH700R4/4L60 with either the NP208 or 241 transfer case were factory options behind the 6.2 for many years. I would think you could find a passenger drop NP208 that will bolt in. Chevy made a LOT of these combos and it's not a very desirable transfer case that people are looking to swap in to other vehicles.

There are differences in both the torque converter and governor between gas and diesel engines. This is because the rpm range is much lower on the 6.2.

I've owned a 6.2 powered K5 with the 700R4 (same thing as a 4L60, just a name change....the 4L60E is the electronic version) and the 700R4 is definitely a better transmission for this engine. It has a lower first gear plus the overdrive. Mine had 4.10's with 33's and 35's for years and it was a decent daily driver.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Wowser

Biggest problem will be finding the TV cable bracket for the 6.2 which a 700R4 will need. They are rare and hard to find. You will absolutely want to use the lockup function. Converter isnt a deal breaker but is highly recommended.

Everything else is easily solveable with parts like tcase matching. Diesel 6.2 700r4's arent exactly stacked up everywhere.

Of course you can always just go 4L60 and use a standalone controller, then install a TPS on the inection pump.

Plenty of info on steel soldiers for this swap.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts