Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 65 chevy truck on ebay it had a 350 chevy and th700r in it, 4x4. The frame is a blazer and the axles are 14 bolt and 10 bolt. They trans has a Reman. GM sticker with 1997 in black marker. MY question is will the trans hold up . The trans has a plug in the side of it and My truck has no computer to control it. I drove it down the road and it shifted good and I will use this truck on the weekend for mild wheeling. Will the trans hold up or do I need to modify it. I am rebuild a 454 for the truck know and I am broke from it..

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
with a mild shift kit and a BIG, BIG cooler the 700R4 can hold up to the 350 pretty well.. the 454 i think is asking too much out of it...the plug is to control the lockup torque convertor i believe..

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 700R4 can be a good trans. 1987 to 1993 has all of the factory upgrades in it, and you can still put a good shift kit in it. If it were mine? I'd get a good shift kit, like a B&M or TCI, and use it the way it is until it pukes it's guts out, because that may be 50,000 miles down the road. Or after you sell the truck. If the trans works fine now, use it. Look at it this way; You can break anything if you try hard enough, and just because you have supposedly "unbreakable" parts doesn't mean it will never happen. Also, Painless Wiring has a switch kit to run the lockup solenoid for the converter. This should be hooked up, because the converter is building heat from excess slippage without it hooked up. $139.95 from Summit Racing. HTH....

Mike Barbarigos
Reno NV

·
Registered
783 Posts
personally i would NEVER run one of these transmissions again...EVER....

but htat is just me when i had my suburban, i only did mild weekend wheeling with 33's, and that tranny smoked itself 3 times in as many months.

this was right after a 6" lift, swapping to d44 and 14bff w/4.10, and running 33" swamper tsl's. needless to say i was pissed.

now it may not have been the trannys fault, as i have read it is easy to put a check ball in the wrong place as there were two different valve bodies used that look almost identical, i amy have just had a dumb builder who thought they were all the same.

all i know is it would smoke the Low/reverse clutch within a month after a fresh re-build

1 - 5 of 5 Posts