Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First all, thank you everyone of the volunteers that said they were going to show and did.

We couldn't have come nearly as close to pulling of the event as we did without you.

i had so many of you coming back up to me asking me what more you could do at the end of your day.... that means a lot and it helped a ton.

I had a few FAIL's, i was a tad (to say the least) under prepared for the crowds and i will take responsibility for that.

Blaine, You and your crew did an amazing job with what you were given.... and I'm sorry i had to steel your bodies for a checkpoint. you guys had a VERY tough assignment with that road crossing and i thank you for taking it on.

Rock Brawlers, you guys did great. Never got you to the spot at sledge where i wanted you, because you guys were helping put out the issues with crowds everywhere else. you guys did you jobs great.

Checkpoint workers, you guys did amazing. working all day (and into the night) is not an easy task, but, to my knowledge you guys did everything exactly as asked and got thru everyone the same way which was just perfect.

Recovery crews..... you guys worked the latest.... I don't even know how much you guys had to do during the race, but, you guys were still dragging cars back late into the night. You guys fully rock.... and cook a mean taco too!!!

and yes, i'm adding to this as i remember things.

Jess and Jake, the two of you in the dark working that checkpoint alone..... you guys did amazing. you had something like 60 rigs pass thru i rememeber... don't forget to pm me with info.

Terry (brd) helped me a ton getting prep'd for the meeting and then was bouncing around all day race day. started the day at check point one and finished the day at the finish line, until the last guy got there. props to you.

Media transport.... well, i wasn't involved with ya, but, you guys had your hands full. I'll let Mark put his piece in

Wild Bill and Sunni..... what can i say. you guys were working harder than I on that radio trying to keep things straight with the times. you two worked your tails off and did a great job at it. my head would have exploded trying to keep all that scoring straight! I don't know many beers i owe you now bill, but, i'm sure its at least a 30 pack! and as you so eloquently stated "peace out girl scout" :laughing:

Noah and Sena(sp?) aka the wonder twins........ you guys were fully getting it around there this week. any and everything that needed to be done, you two were on it. stage/start finish line and on and on. everything looked great.

the sound guy..... you and andy were humping the first day i saw you and you were humping all week trying to keep everything going. damn good job!

i needed 20 more people to just work crowd control at sledge.

I hope that many of you had enough fun to want to come back next year.

To all the vendors that donated for our raffle... THANK YOU. Hopefully Charlene will get me a list of everyone so i can properly thank you, but off the top of my head..

Raceline Wheels
BFG
Readwelder
Dirtbagz
Balistic Fab
TDS (the club)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my day as unstressfull as possible!!!!

Shaun Surveyboy Bootsma

·
Registered
203 Posts
It was a good time out there, though we were waaay under staffed at the many road crossings getting into sledge.

There were too many assholes that needed more than words spoken to them to realize it is a bad idea to cross at non designated areas heading into the Sledge area.

It was fun none the less, and I'm sure allowed me to save a few bucks on therapy having all of those people to yell at :D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Shaun you did a awsome job, I tried to thank as many volunters as I saw. Got my RM markers before the awards. Get it Hammerking.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are very welcome Shaun. I will let the crew know that we made a difference.
Blaine..... I don't know if I can ever express how much you and your team did for us this year. and the thing is... i know i am only getting a small glimps of what you guys had to deal with. I hope that you and everyone else in your group don't see my shortcomming of prep this year in this reguard as something on the Hammerking Orgization and want to come back next year in some role of help.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shaun you did a awsome job, I tried to thank as many volunters as I saw. Got my RM markers before the awards. Get it Hammerking.
Thank you competitors for thanking us. you guys were great to work with as a whole and made many of the volunteers days by thanking them directly.

the competitors in KOH are the best folks to be helping ever.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It was a blessing to be able to help out in such an awesome event. And thank you for making things co-ordinate so smoothly w/ relay and such...it made our job much easier...THANKS! ...and can't wait till next year!

Steve Parker

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Blaine..... I don't know if I can ever express how much you and your team did for us this year. and the thing is... i know i am only getting a small glimps of what you guys had to deal with. I hope that you and everyone else in your group don't see my shortcomming of prep this year in this reguard as something on the Hammerking Orgization and want to come back next year in some role of help.
Shaun, nothing you did has anything to do with me not returning as a volunteer for KOH. I've let my crew know they are welcome to help you out with no recriminations from me whatsoever.

But, yes, we did perfectly understand and appreciate the heartfelt thanks we received from YOU, Dave, and Jeff many many times and it means a lot to us.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Shaun, You did the best you could with what you had and should be proud. It is impossible to predict all the things that popped up on race day. Some of those spread over 135 mile track. When we arrived at check 18 to setup there was maybe 300 cars parked all around. Then around 4 there was what seemed to be over a thousand with people as far as the eyes can see. Thanks for letting us be part of the race it was a blast. We worked the LCQ with Big Chris, the start line (best seat in the house) and check 18. Thanks to my wife for keeping the number's and my buddy's Mark and Dennis. Who I sucked into working with me..
Team Check 18

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was a blessing to be able to help out in such an awesome event. And thank you for making things co-ordinate so smoothly w/ relay and such...it made our job much easier...THANKS! ...and can't wait till next year!

Steve Parker
you guys did an amazing job out there getting everyone home friday night!

thank you guys!!

But, yes, we did perfectly understand and appreciate the heartfelt thanks we received from YOU, Dave, and Jeff many many times and it means a lot to us.
don't forget to get me that list also when you can. thank you for everything

Shaun, You did the best you could with what you had and should be proud. It is impossible to predict all the things that popped up on race day. Some of those spread over 135 mile track. When we arrived at check 18 to setup there was maybe 300 cars parked all around. Then around 4 there was what seemed to be over a thousand with people as far as the eyes can see. Thanks for letting us be part of the race it was a blast. We worked the LCQ with Big Chris, the start line (best seat in the house) and check 18. Thanks to my wife for keeping the number's and my buddy's Mark and Dennis. Who I sucked into working with me..
Team Check 18
you guys had your hands full. thanks for all your help.

Shaun, you guys did a great job! We helped when we could seeing the magnitude of the job at your hands.

-Scott
thanks Scott.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Shaun, you busted ass all week (and I can tell the months leading up to the big event). You did a great job, and it was a pleasure working with you. :beer: I will gladly be back next year!

Gunmetalcruz, as a volunteer, I sincerely appreciate those of you who were in the heat of battle who thanked us at the checkpoints. :beer:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
I got teary eyed at the volunteer meeting. seeing all you guys who stepped up to make this even even possible was truly humbling .

mad props to each and every one of the volunteers who make King Of The Hammers possible :smokin:

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Shaun,

The Brawlers that volunteered, while disappointed that we didn't get to do crowd control, were still happy to help out. As far as next year goes, some will be back, some might not. This has nothing to do with you personally, or with someone wanting to bring a glass bottle in their trailer :rolleyes:.

Gunmetalcruz, and to all the competitors

As a volunteer I can tell you that a handshake and a thank you from a competitor is just as good if not better than winning a prize in the raffle. :beer:

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shaun,

The Brawlers that volunteered, while disappointed that we didn't get to do crowd control, were still happy to help out. As far as next year goes, some will be back, some might not. This has nothing to do with you personally, or with someone wanting to bring a glass bottle in their trailer :rolleyes:.

Gunmetalcruz, and to all the competitors

As a volunteer I can tell you that a handshake and a thank you from a competitor is just as good if not better than winning a prize in the raffle. :beer:
thanks guys.

I owe alot of the volunteers some mad props for the work they did.

Many of you had bailed before the awards on saturday... you were all thanked many times by Dave and Jeff, as well as the competitors. you all did a great job.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Volunteers

You're welcome Shaun. Like I said in the PM, you guys kicked ass. The logistics of pulling off what you did was amazing. If you ever need another volunteer job, come on down to Safari, I'll hook you up. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
You are most certainly welcome Shaun. :smokin: I had a GREAT week!

I worked for Mark Matthews mostly, but also worked the LCQ. I helped Mark stakeout the LCQ on Monday, then helped on Blaines crew at the LCQ finish line Tuesday & Wednesday.

I forget which day it was - but whenever that guy accidentally drove "under" the Start/Finish Line with his toyhauler & broke it loose (I saw him do it), I got on my radio & told Dave, then helped put it back together.

Thursday I preran out to BFG Pit, top of Crowbar, bottom of Crowbar, Valley of the Kings, and Wrecking Ball Pit. I drove ~77 miles of the race course that day. :eek:

Race day (Friday) I helped Mark with transporting Media Crew Unit #6 (Chris)around to Crowbar, Valley of the Kings, and WB Pit. Chris got some outstanding film that should make for an excellent 2010 KOH video.

Looking forward to next year. :D

Joe Dillard

1 - 20 of 52 Posts