Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

The Rally and protest was a great success!!

Results:

287 protestors went out protesting between 12:30 and 5:00. Add in all the support staff and many walk-in people I'm guessing 400+ people were involved is some way. It was hot and humid too so considering that I'm very happy.

We received a ton of positive feedback from the public. Cars were literally stopping in the streets wanting more information...next time we need flyers to hand out. Channel 40 came out for an interview...Thanks Randy...and we were on the new at 6:00 and 10:00!! Channel 3 and channeld 10 also were working the protest locations and called me for comments. The Sacramento Bee was there taking pictures for a future blub in the Bee and the Mt. Democrat showed up for an audio recorded interview and pics.

Most important...we had no problems. Everyone conducted themselves well. I did not receive even one complaint during the day. Policemen and sherrif's honked as they drove by our protest locations giving us thumbs up!!

Our primary goal of public awareness was achieved. The Maps were a great tool. To see so many people that knew nothing about the DEIS look at the maps and then say..."Is this for real?...are you kidding me?...That's insane and people need to know about this!!" One quote I especially remember..."Its like they took an eraser to the forest."

Sure we can always reach more, and we could do things smarter next time. Like flyers to give to people expressing interest...more marketing and press planning...some food and consessions for people to have at the fairgrounds...etc. But remember, event planning started just 2 1/2 weeks ago and considering that...I'm very happy with how things went.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT ATTENDED, HELPED AS SUPPORT STAFF, AND DONATED MONEY TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!! I REALLY APPECIATE IT!!

Please support the following two organizations with your directed donations:

www.CORVA.org

(Hired a "Ringer" consultant for smart comments to the DEIS costing $4,000.00...they need money!!)

www.sharetrails.org

Blue Ribbon Coalition...Been fighting this with both support and legal dollars from the original court order to the current request for SEIS)

Thanks!!

Marlon

·
16,231 Posts
Marlon....

You DA MAN!!!

Thank you so much.

Oh yeah...

EVERYONE DONATE TO CORVA!

·
Registered
604 Posts
We had a great time, 6 of us in our group thanks for all your hard work. We are there to support you anytime.:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Cars were literally stopping in the streets wanting more information...next time we need flyers to hand out.
Marlon
Marlon,

I was the guy that walked up at 5:00pm saying "you need to provide fliers next time". You had two people waiting to talk to you and an arm full of equipment and after I made the statement I had to walk away to let you handle your business. Please be aware that it was only input if you were to do this again. I only had the best intensions and I really appreciate all the work you put into this. I really feel that my drive up from the bay area with my riding buddy was not in vein. Big thanks again and I hope you did not take my comment the wrong way.

Cheers,
JW

·
Registered
97 Posts
Most Of The Citizens Didn't Have A Clue

YOU ARE RIGHT AND EVERYTHING WENT JUST LIKE CLOCKWORK ! WITHOUT THE HARD WORK OF OUR ORGANIZERS THAT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED SO ONCE AGAIN "THANK YOU !!!" IF THERE IS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT I HAVE A SUGGESTION............. LIKE YOU ALREADY STATED PEOPLE WERE STOPPING IN THE STREETS TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE FORESTS. MOST OF THEM DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE AND THERE JUST WASN'T ANYWAY TO TELL THEM IN THAT SITUATION. " YES " WE DID HAVE FLIERS TO PASS OUT BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT WASN'T SAFE OR PRACTICAL TO DO SO WITHOUT CAUSING A MAJOR CAR CRASH IN THE STREET.........

I DON'T HAVE THE MAGIC ANSWER BUT I THINK WERE MISSING THE BOAT BY NOT BEING ABLE TO LET THE MASSES KNOW ABOUT OUR / THEIR PLIGHT !

LET'S WORK ON FIXING THAT AND ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU TO ALL.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Marlon, awesome job. every comment I have heard is it was well planned, well organized. was glad to be part of it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marlon,

I was the guy that walked up at 5:00pm saying "you need to provide fliers next time". You had two people waiting to talk to you and an arm full of equipment and after I made the statement I had to walk away to let you handle your business. Please be aware that it was only input if you were to do this again. I only had the best intensions and I really appreciate all the work you put into this. I really feel that my drive up from the bay area with my riding buddy was not in vein. Big thanks again and I hope you did not take my comment the wrong way.

Cheers,
JW
No worries mate...I took it exactly as you intended.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
YOU ARE RIGHT AND EVERYTHING WENT JUST LIKE CLOCKWORK ! WITHOUT THE HARD WORK OF OUR ORGANIZERS THAT WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED SO ONCE AGAIN "THANK YOU !!!" IF THERE IS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT I HAVE A SUGGESTION............. LIKE YOU ALREADY STATED PEOPLE WERE STOPPING IN THE STREETS TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE FORESTS. MOST OF THEM DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE AND THERE JUST WASN'T ANYWAY TO TELL THEM IN THAT SITUATION. " YES " WE DID HAVE FLIERS TO PASS OUT BUT MOST OF THE TIME IT WASN'T SAFE OR PRACTICAL TO DO SO WITHOUT CAUSING A MAJOR CAR CRASH IN THE STREET.........

I DON'T HAVE THE MAGIC ANSWER BUT I THINK WERE MISSING THE BOAT BY NOT BEING ABLE TO LET THE MASSES KNOW ABOUT OUR / THEIR PLIGHT !

LET'S WORK ON FIXING THAT AND ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU TO ALL.
I completely agree about us mssing the boat about the masses. The masses is an untapped source and it has massive potential.

One thing that occurred to me was this. The Map A and D are the most effective tools we have. If we can get people that care about having access but don't know anything about this to look at the difference in the maps, their eyes pop out of their heads. Seriously...it happened all day long on Sunday. So, how can that be used to our advantage...to get the masses informed. Well, it occurred to me that parking a table in front of local businesses with high traffic would be a great idea. Have both maps and a sign detailing the number of miles of lost roads. Don't sell it...let it sell itself. The simple act of getting people the facts could have long term benefits. Over head is the cost of large maps...and the time of 1 person...per location. Hand out a flyer to guide the people in the right direction. I'm thinking of doing this myself.

Marlon

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some great comments below!!

I want to compliment the organizers of this very well run event. I was in Reno at an NOHVCC Route Designation workshop, but the Eldorado is an issue near and dear to me personally as well as professionally, so Sunday I drove over to Placerville to check out the event. I got there about 12:20, and there were already several groups of protestors leaving the fairgrounds to head to protest locations.

At the fairgrounds gate, I was greeted by a couple of young volunteers who handed me a sheet with rules for the event, particularly guidelines on the actual protesting around the area. In the large open lawn area inside the gate, there were 30-40 4-wheel drive rigs surrounding the lawn, with an array of easy-ups and tables in a large semi-circle. First, there were sign-up tables for anyone who wanted to protest, with ID required. Then, another area assigned groups of 8-10 protestors to different areas around town and provided materials to make protest signs. There were also information stations, with maps and copies of the DEIS.

About a dozen locations were targeted, with most of the major traffic intersections in town targeted, and some freeway overpasses. For those of you who are not familiar with Placerville, Highway 50, the major road to South Lake Tahoe, has three stop lights in Placerville before it turns into a freeway, and on Sunday afternoons, the road is jammed with people returning from the forest, plus Lake Tahoe, so LOTS of people got to see the protest. As I left to head home to Idaho about 3 PM, it was very impressive to see groups of protestors at all of the intersections and overpasses. Everyone I saw was behaving themselves very well, and most were having fun and getting thumbs up and horn honking from the motorists.

I did get a chance to meet Marlon Allen and Amy Granat, and several of the other people who were involved with putting the event together. I wanted them to know that this is a very serious issue for ORBA and we will be using all of the political and legal resources to turn the DEIS around, and that we are already working with the other major OHV groups, who all feel the same way. The Eldorado is the first Forest to get this far in the Route Designation process, and it is a horrible precedent that can not be allowed to stand.

I also wanted to let everyone know that the Eldorado DEIS was a very hot topic at the NOHVCC workshop. Even other FS staff from adjacent forests thought the Eldorado was on the wrong track. It was also a topic of many discussions with the new FS National OHV Coordinator, Deidre St. Louis, who just took over this position a couple of weeks ago. The former FS National OHV Coordinator, Jerry Ingersoll, was also in attendance, and he is now the Deputy Forest Supervisor on the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest (all of Nevada). With Jerry on the H-T, we know that they will follow the process appropriately instead of re-interpreting the guidelines the most restrictive way possible the way the Eldorado has.

This “grass roots” protest greatly strengthens the case about how serious the Eldorado problem is, and will hopefully help turn the political tide to the point the Eldorado will revise the DEIS significantly. We can always file appeals and even legal action, but our best chance is to get serious changes NOW, not after the plan is finalized, and this event helped the cause!!

THANK YOU to the organizers and everyone who participated!!!

Bill Dart

Director of Land Use
Off-Road Business Association

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I completely agree about us mssing the boat about the masses. The masses is an untapped source and it has massive potential.

One thing that occurred to me was this. The Map A and D and the most effective tool we have. If we can get people that care about having access but don't know anything about this to look at the difference in the maps, their eyes pop out of their heads. Seriously...it happened all day long on Sunday. So, how can that be used to our advantage...to get the masses informed. Well, it occurred to me that parking a table in front of local businesses with high traffic would be a great idea. Have both maps and a sign detailing the number of miles of lost roads. Don't sell it...let it sell itself. The simple act of getting people the facts could have long term benefits. Over head is the cost of large maps...and the time of 1 person...per location. Hand out a flyer to guide the people in the right direction. I'm thinking of doing this myself.

Marlon
I'd be willing to help out with this too Marlon. Hell, Jen you want to do this one day that the kids are in school? Could get more petition signatures, and the slips for the friends of ElDorado for the automated letters. Walmart has people pouring in and out of there all day.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
ITS HUNTING SEASON
TRY WILD SPORTS ... etc.

If someone can bring a copy up to Robb's or let me know where to pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday MORNING!!! I can have it on the bar for the weekend!!!! let me know..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can anyone tell me how to get a giant map printed up and what its going to cost? Like the ones that were at the event...

Marlon

·
16,231 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to get a giant map printed up and what its going to cost? Like the ones that were at the event...

Marlon
Those were EXPENSIVE! Like 700 bucks I think.

E-mail Rick and see if you can use his. I hope to use those at the Cantina though....

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
are you talking about the laminated ones Rick had? they are 116.00 for the 2 of them. They are not cheap to get but I shopped around to find the cheapest and since I am a printer I get better pricing. I can get them in a couple days.

Jack

Damn Rick's faster than me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts