Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I can hear it already, I know that many people had/have problems with Bob, but this weekend's event was cool.
Everything went smooth, the courses were tough wheeling (a little hard on the rig but not dangerous), the crowd was good, and the competitors were AWESOME. I have never had and seen more help from other teams and was amazed to see everyone banding together to see that every competitor kept their rigs repaired in a total sportsman-like way. Jason Paulie, Chris Durham, Jeff Mellow, and Jason Scherer were the ones I saw putting the most time into helping others and to them I want to say a special thanks.
There were some others helping out as well and on that I would thank the Nelson team for loaning us tools when we needed em, , to Jeff Sheckell from JSA for donating his time to more than a couple broken vehicles, and to Neil Lillard for just dropping by with a gift of lunch to our team when we were short on time and starving.
Back to ProRocks, Bob, Keith, John and everyone else that put time into this event...Thanks, it was another great experience!
Thanks to My Teammates, Jody (Ding), Frank (Chief), and Becca (WingNuts)...It was an awesome weekend for all of us.
Finally thanks to Chris Geiger from AllPro for being a driving force in the photographing and marketing of these events...I know you almost get run over at each event but I have to say the shots you take are great! Here's a link to AllPro Offroad's pictorial of the event: http://www.allprooffroad.com/events/2003prorock1/index.htm

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
so when is redbull gonna step up and build a transformer ? :flipoff2:

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is transforming...slowly...
Narrowed nose 12"
Shortened nose 9"
Breakaway body panels
All were huge differences in this event. Thanks to Danny Grimes (GrandPa's Garage) for those geat alterations.

Next up:
CTM axles front and rear...yeah, the bling bling INSIDE the diffs would have made a huge difference in the event.

New design of knuckles as we broke 2.

New (read: stronger) Rear Link Arms, will call Bob Roggy today to start on these.

Shortened (9") and narrowed (8") rear so we have better departure angles.

Oh yeah, I have to say that the new winch rope I got out of OffRoadOnly was awesome...we took a cutting torch to it...burned right through the outer sheath yet after 45 seconds of direct application, the inner cords were only mildly charred...I'm talking MILDLY...it was amazing!

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
Narrowed nose 12"
Shortened nose 9"
Breakaway body panels
All were huge differences in this event. Thanks to Danny Grimes (GrandPa's Garage) for those geat alterations.

Next up:
CTM axles front and rear...yeah, the bling bling INSIDE the diffs would have made a huge difference in the event.

New (read: stronger) Rear Link Arms, will call Bob Roggy today to start on these.

Shortened (9") and narrowed (8") rear so we have better departure angles.

Oh yeah, I have to say that the new winch rope I got out of OffRoadOnly was awesome...we took a cutting torch to it...burned right through the outer sheath yet after 45 seconds of direct application, the inner cords were only mildly charred...I'm talking MILDLY...it was amazing!

ya ya whatever. not that kinda transformer. this kinda freaky rig http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122477 anything else is old school iron :flipoff2:

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
i wish i could afford to get some new winch rope and take a torch to it just for the hell of it. i hate you. :flipoff2:

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sceep said:
i wish i could afford to get some new winch rope and take a torch to it just for the hell of it. i hate you. :flipoff2:
We were just tryin to cut it to the right length...I always flame cut...didn't work the same as usual as the rope was absolutly not giving way to the heat. We're talking large Oxy/Acetyl cutting torch turned up full blast.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ffej said:
Dustin got any car left for us? Danny and Ryan look like they will be busy this week.
I don't think the truck will be there. It needs some serious TLC and we are going to go ahead with the suspension mods we've been thinking will hold up to my showboating lead-foot. Randy and Wlaker built an awesome car, but it takes the skill of someone like Walker to drive it without breaking it. Looks like I'm not that guy so we'll just have to make some changes.

Right now, I'm working on the CJ to get it ready for CRCA....it needs a new spindle and short axle.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What kind of tires/size are on the Red Bull truck there? They look like ProComp X-Terrains? 37s on a 17?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are a new version of the X-Terrain...they are 37x13.50 and the rim size is currently 16" to fit the big trucks offered by the Big 3 right off the showroom floor. When they decided to build a new tire, they had to find a size that would cover more bases than just rockcrawling, but in their design work, I think they have hit upon a great crawling tire theat'll work fine on the road too...that's better than being a street tire that can also crawl. The side lugs wrap further and the sidewall is completely different than that of the current 35" that we run on the Stock Modified.
At first I was skeptical about a 16" rim size as so many were going to 17" rims. After running them, I think it is a good rim size as I get enough sidewall sag and with their new sidewall design, literally no lateral roll. They are in their final stage of testing and the set I ran this weekend had a special fiberglass band in the tread section that I though might hinder lug flex lessening my traction, but, I found that we had no real problems and that they stuck and flexed as good as the other models we've been testing.
Would I recommend them, yes. I have run other tires on my rigs in comparison testing and the X-terrains competed equally on the hard stuff and were superior in the soft stuff. The other nice thing is that they are not having chunking issues like the old rubber compound from ProComp. We're currently running a set on the road for a month to heat em and break em in, then will run them on the s10 in a competition enviornment to check for chunking after a period of time has passed.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
RedBullJeep said:

time to talk to rockstomper about those new crane knuckles!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts