Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got the 1uzfe 1992 lexus LS400 powered 1995 4runner on the road today. I dont have a perfect tune on it yet, nor even a o2 sensor hooked up yet, but its pretty close. It is Megasquirt Powered V3 board Extra code with EDIS8 for spark controll. I have the radiator installed also, with 2 10" electric fans and I have great clearence. I did NOTHING with the firewall either, its stock. The truck does have a 3" Body Lift, which was installed when I bought the truck. I left it installed as For the MINOR wheeling I do, it doesnt effect me much. The truck has a solid axle installed, 5.29's, Lockrights, 35" BFG all terrains, etc. The W56 Transmission I bought for it, is JUNK, as you can hear in the video, bad bearings I suspect. I never cut all of the old IFS crap off of the inside of the frame yet, I should of when the 3vze was out, DOH. This truck used to have a 3vze custom turbo setup I built for it, but I over boosted due to the wastegate malfunctioning once, and blew a head gasket, after about 8 months of boosing daily at 14 psi, with a T3 turbo. Heres some pics of the old setup.

More pics here: http://www.bandmzcars.com/3vzetONE.html

I bought the 1uzfe engine, wiring harness, ecu, everything for 150.00 after taxes at a local wrecking yard. I see them all the time at local yards.

LS400 headers will NOT work, you will need a set from a SC400, as they are MUCH more compact. you will also need the oil filter adapter from an SC400, as they come off at a much better angle and clear the frame rail.

I had a Solid axle Swap done before when I still had my 3vz, so I am not sure on clearence with IFS and the 1u engine.

I used a bellhousing from a member here named superrunner, I also used a flywheel from him as well. Come to find out, it looks like it is just a 3vze flywheel that has had the holes elongated, about .060" outward, and the hub board out to pilot on the crankshaft. I had to fabricate a pilot bushing out of a peice of bronze on the lathe. I could of found a bearing, but I need it at about 11:00 at night, and no bearing shop was open so I just made one on my lathe.

The clutch is also a Pro Gold LUK brand for the 3vze.

The trans, is about .8" more foraward, then before to get the engine to clear the firewall. Motor mounts are urethane custom ones that I built.

I still have a fair amount of wiring to clean up, etc, but I wanted to get it driving to make sure the engine was OK, before I cleaned things up, incase I had to tear the motor back out.

I stripped the stock oil pressure sending unit wire, and water wire out of the stock harness and hooked them up to the 1u engine, with screwing in the 3v sensors, just to make sure the sensing values were all compatable and correct.

The power steering lines fit EXACTLY correct to the 1u pump.

I will be hooking up the AC compressor again, but I need custom lines, and will wait till summer to do so.

The alternator uses a different plug, but is found on MOST toyotas with the round 3 prong plug, just plug all of those three wires on ignition switched on power source.

The radiator is from a B2600 1994 truck, two row and more surface area then the 3vze, and it fits perfectly with custom mounts. The 3vze outlets/inlets interfere with the engine also. I spent ALOT of time reasearching this radiator.

For Megasquirt, it seems the stock cam angle sensors, and crank sensor are NOT compatible with MS, very easily anyways, so I adapted a crank angle sensor and wheel from a ford with EDIS, like a crown victoria. I made my own wheel mount to fit and bolt in the stock harmonic balencer, then made a bracket for the VR sensor, that came from the ford. I also used ford COIL PACK as well, and it works with the ford EDIS system. How it works is edis sends a signal to megasquirt, megasquirt then interpets it, and advances, or retards according to your spark map in Megatune/Megasquirt. The injectors are high impedience, so not flyback circut or resistors needed. I used GM Intake air temperature sensors, and Water temperature sensors.

Heres some pictures.

I made a custom tube to come from the bottom of the radiator back up to the engine, and the inlet and outlet of the engine are both on the top of the engine.

I think one of the BEST things about this motor, is EVERYTHING is on top of the motor, and EASY to get to, UNLIKE the 3vze.

The exhaust is a single 2.5" for now, but will be a 3" single, its just I already had the single 2.5" from the old turbo setup.

I eleminated the EGR and Fast idle valve as well.

You will also need the dipstick tube and dipstick from the SC400.

Here is a short Video of the setup. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cdL2iJ7dcw

Email Me directly here [email protected] with questions.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have been wanting a 1uzfe in my truck for some time now, but not sure on 3 inches of a bl. do oyu think it would clear with only a 1inch bl, or is 3 needed?

sweet setup man, hope to see it on the road one day :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I wonder how this motor would compare to the ford 5.0?

There is a ton of aftermarket support for the 5.0, and if you want an auto you have a better selection(in my opinion, c4).
But the 1uzfe is a toyota, I would assume you would have better reliability. Smog would be easier with the ford.

Was the front of the runner level before the swap? Does anyone know how much the 1uzfe weighs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts