Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1642 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll start a build thread for my truck since I'm pretty damn close to cuttin' up a perfectly good truck :laughing: :grinpimp: I'm taking April 21-25 off work to get a bunch of work done. Specs:

2001 Double cab Taco Prerunner converted to 4wd
87 F350 D60 front axle, 5.38's, ARB, Chevy outers, 35 spline throughout, Yukon hardcore hubs
14 bolt rear, 5.38's, ARB, disc brakes
14" Fox coilovers up front with a 3 link and 4 Wheel Underground lower link mounts :grinpimp::grinpimp:
Chevy rear springs for now but already have some parts to link the rear.
39" BFG KR's on 17" steels
Full PSC hydro assist

The truck and some pics of the goods

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
whatd you do for your trans/tcase on 4wd conversion?

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whatd you do for your trans/tcase on 4wd conversion?
Found a good A340F and j-shift transfer case out of a 97 4runner for $350. Figure I'll use the stock transfer case until something fails then buy an Atlas. I don't plan on putting Toyota dual cases in the truck and am hoping the stock t-case and automatic will suffice for now.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL I know the struggle. #itsreal.

Like hillbilly said, bout time you get to building this truck.

Yeah it was bound to happen. Funny story about the axles. Originally I had bought FAUX X4 Eric's old D44 front axle and a D60HD rear axle for the truck. I ended up selling them to a local guy and he wheeled and dealed and ended up with a set of 1 tons. I bought the 1 tons off him for a killer deal and since then I've been hoarding parts.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've been waiting for this build, so I will definitely be following it. It's going to be a sharp looking truck.

What do you plan on running for front spring rates? I'm in the process of trying to work this out on my double cab.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been waiting for this build, so I will definitely be following it. It's going to be a sharp looking truck.

What do you plan on running for front spring rates? I'm in the process of trying to work this out on my double cab.
Spring rates are 200/300 I believe. I was originally going to go with ORI struts but the thought of losing a seal on the trail and being stuck scared the shit out of me and I traded them for never been run Fox coilovers, QA1 springs and Fox air bumps with cans. I already shortened the length of the air bumps to 2" :smokin:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Nice placement of that pulley on that resivoir in the pic above.

I remember hauling Eric's axle from AZ all the way back up here. I forgot about that.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice placement of that pulley on that resivoir in the pic above.

I remember hauling Eric's axle from AZ all the way back up here. I forgot about that.
Hah didn't even realize about the pulley placement. Yeah remember when I met up with you in the middle of nowhere to get that?? Selling that shit landed me the Dana 60 & 14 bolt in return :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up a new toy today with a big spool of .030 MIG wire. I will feel a lot more confident in my welds now compared to the 120v Lincoln I was using before. The 120v was fine for tacking spring perches and what not but it felt like it took forever to weld anything moderately thick :homer:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1642 Posts