Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 1642 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
they can be a life saver I used them a lot when I worked at BMW nearly 60% of the oil leak repairs on those cars required dropping the subframe.

any guess at yet what your wheelbase is at? I assume you are going to wait until you four link the rear to move it forward.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I contacted Brian at 4WU about buying just the lower link brackets at the frame and he said he doesn't normally separate link bracket kits but since some other guy wanted axle brackets but not frame brackets, it would be all good to sell the frame brackets to me. I bought Artec lower link axle brackets and a Ballistic axle panhard mount that will be used. Everything else I will plasma cut my own.
Nice sounds like you scored on that one! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
they can be a life saver I used them a lot when I worked at BMW nearly 60% of the oil leak repairs on those cars required dropping the subframe.

any guess at yet what your wheelbase is at? I assume you are going to wait until you four link the rear to move it forward.
For sure when I link it. I haven't gotten a good idea of where the 60 will sit yet. I'll report back

·
Registered
271 Posts
you definitely did! Brian has told me no twice to ordering his brackets separately. :rolleyes:
Lol which brackets do you need? I want the frame mounts from his kit, wishful thinking here but do you need to other brackets :grinpimp: doubtful but I had to ask.... Sorry to spam your thread generalee7

·
Registered
957 Posts
This was a while ago, my 3 link is already done now. If I had been smart I would have posted up looking for someone that needed the other brackets and just split it with them.

/hijack off

This, like many others, is my dream build. Keep up the good work generalee. Doublecabs are starting to get somewhat affordable in my area, it is definitely my next platform.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I got a few things done today. Started on motor mounts then core support mounts. Not sure how the mount got all tweaked, oh well. What does everyone thing of my idea for double shearing the steering? The bottom sleeve will get welded to the plate and the plate bolts to the stock location with a 3/4" bolt. Doesn't look like I got much done but I'm BEAT. More work tomorrow getting the Trail Gear skid plate out and the mounts cut off. I was going to work on fish plates for the frame today but decided to make them out of 1/8". Anything thicker is overkill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sweet looking! Is the starter going to clear the MM if it ever needs to be replaced?

Double sheer on the steering arm looks good.

Lol your garage looks as messy as mine!
I put the old motor mounts back on with Trail Gear "bomb proof" poly mounts. Plenty of clearance to get the starter out now! Garage is pretty messy but oh well. Work isn't happening if it's clean as a whistle :smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Started fitting up the steering box today. Since my tie rod and drag link mount on top of each other at the passenger steering arm, how should I position the steering box so they don't bind at full bump? I haven't yet set the axle at full bump because I don't have the lower link mounts yet but I shoved the steering box as high and as far forward as I could. Had to cut a huge hole in the core support but it still seems like they will interfere. Right now the pitman arm just clears the tie rod with the front axle moved 2" forward from stock :confused: Guess I'm at a stand still on that until I can get the axle linked up at full bump :homer:

Also welded in some plates on the driver side. Hope to focus on getting the frame prepped and ready all day tomorrow. Lots of cutting and welding!

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1642 Posts