Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the new trading paper this morning, and see an ad for a Fj40. I call the guy and ask a few ???'s and it sounds promising. I agree to meet with him, at 4pm. He has me follow him to the landcruiser. I pull into the driveway and there is a fairly clean late 70's FJ55, but no 40. The guy calls it a 40, I do not correct him. We talk for a while, he asks about my tattoo on my arm, I show him the grill on my back, and he has no idea what a 40 is. I am going home to get the trailer, because I just bought a June of 1979 FJ55, factory a/c, p/s. I guess I still know how to buy a cruiser out of the paper.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sweet!

Sounds better than my experience last weekend of talking to this guy on a FJ55 and him saying it was really clean only problem was the engine needed a rebuild. I go to look at it an hour and a half away. It turns out the interior is trashed. The dash was in really sweet condition with stock radio and the frame and engine compartment were really clean. Had way more rust than he told me.

Oh well.. win some lose some. On the bright side I bought a 45LV the next day.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
SWEET, thats a rare bird!

hows the rust?

and your still an ass...............but now with a 55 :flipoff2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
By not being an ass the day before you racked up some serious good karma and this is your reward.

SWEET!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Hallelujah!

Now do you need some attitude to make the buying experience feel normal for you?

:D :smokin:
Walt<><

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 55 is home. I spent $7-$8 at the car wash. It was fun. Loading the wagon went well. I told myself I would not spend more than 15 min trying to get it running. After 15min I could get it to run only if I dripped gas into the carb. Not a problem, I came prepared with to optimas. After winching it sideways, away from the travel trailer, I had to backout of the driveway, do a u-turn, and back down the driveway again. Did I mention the sweeping
s-bend in the driveway, with trees @10feet apart. Time to load up, the guy I bought it from is cheering me on from behind a case of BUD heavy. Optima to the rescue, four low, in reverse, turn the key. After less than 30sec of starter abuse, it is loaded. Strap it down, and I am on my way. All of that happened in less than 45min.

This is by no means a perfect 55, but my grilfriend wants to learn paint/body, and we have been working on the welding fabricating already. I think we can get the body work done in a few weeks, the details will take longer. I am not sure where I should look for the 55 parts I need. It will need the dash sent out to Just Dashes in Van Nuys. The seats and doors will go to the shop I send all my trim to. I think I would rather sped $ on a better hood. Some Dynamat, some lineX, it should be like a cooler version of my 60.

I had a 55 once before, and I gave it to a guy from Georgia, that stopped by to talk about cruisers. I know I am getting older when I think it is cool to have a 45,55,and 60 wagon. I will take some pics in the morning.

·
Registered
556 Posts
SCORE!!!! put up some pics....Good luck on finding body/weather stripping for that 55... SAAB 900!

·
TJK
2,308 Posts
By the way, the next time you pass me in your 40 and don't wave, it's :flipoff2: to you. I followed your ass down Broadway about a month ago in slow traffic all the way from CQS up past the monument. Nothing. :shaking: Dude, I'm right behind you! Look in the rear view mirror (which I checked, you have one) once in a while! :mad3: Then I passed you going the opposite direction on Charlotte Street (?) a week ago, no wave. Dude, :flipoff2:!

This is me, get hip or get :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

:D

TJK

Attachments

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
the dash is availible new from Toyota last I checked($$$) and also availible in repro form too. repro stuff includes instrument panel, main dash panel, glovebox and that center dash pad about the heater louvre.

Door panels are used only, and if you find a patient upholstery shop they can find a vinyl that is pretty damn close to the wierd perforated vinyl used in certain sections of the seats.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kaderabek said:
By the way, the next time you pass me in your 40 and don't wave, it's :flipoff2: to you. I followed your ass down Broadway about a month ago in slow traffic all the way from CQS up past the monument. Nothing. :shaking: Dude, I'm right behind you! Look in the rear view mirror (which I checked, you have one) once in a while! :mad3: Then I passed you going the opposite direction on Charlotte Street (?) a week ago, no wave. Dude, :flipoff2:!

This is me, get hip or get :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

:D

TJK
You have been behind me and around me in traffic a few times. I did not think you would know the me in the Military truck on 37's, or the 1-ton Blazer on 37's. If you saw me driving a FJ40 on the street it was at least 3years ago. If you ment to say Fj60, then not only did you see me, but you ignored me in that nose high in the air "North Ashville" way.
There is a picture of me on my user profile.

I just tried to post a pic, but when I hit the manage attachments button it will not pull up the window, and on the same note all the smile Icons are not on my reply page.If anyone could tell me how to fix it, I could get some pics up.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kaderabek said:
Excellent. Did you buy it in Fletcher?

TJK
No, I was working in Greenville yesterday, it was in the SC Iwanna. The guy told me last night I was real smart to leave a deposit while I went home to get the trailer. He said the phone would not stop ringing. I was going to explain to him that advertising a FJ55 as an FJ40, would be the same as telling your buddies about how you scored with a SUPERMODEL, and forgot to tell them she was a SUPER rotund,loving bundle of plus sized,BBW lust . Just the way I like them... trucks that is.

BBW, it now stands for BIG BEAUTIFUL WAGON

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
heavytlc said:
I just tried to post a pic, but when I hit the manage attachments button it will not pull up the window, and on the same note all the smile Icons are not on my reply page.If anyone could tell me how to fix it, I could get some pics up.
Check your User CP->Edit Options->Message Editor Interface. Make sure it is st to Standard Editor. :confused:

·
TJK
2,308 Posts
heavytlc said:
You have been behind me and around me in traffic a few times. I did not think you would know the me in the Military truck on 37's, or the 1-ton Blazer on 37's. If you saw me driving a FJ40 on the street it was at least 3years ago. If you ment to say Fj60, then not only did you see me, but you ignored me in that nose high in the air "North Ashville" way.
There is a picture of me on my user profile.
60, 40, what's the diff...? :p

I did wave at you in your 60! I live in North Asheville but I don't exactly fit in....

We should grab a beer some time, I want to see your 55 anyway.

TJK

·
TJK
2,308 Posts
cruiserman said:
todd, You're driving an 80. You never get waves from 40 drivers ;).
There is one asshat in my neighborhood with a nice 40 that I see most mornings. He gets the :flipoff2: from me now. Didn't notice me waving, doesn't notice this :flipoff2:. :shaking:

TJK

1 - 20 of 30 Posts