Pirate 4x4 banner

761 - 780 of 959 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Larger bore = less pressure but more volume. There is a fine line as you know, but I recall running into this issue in the past with builds. Somehow I feel you have already calculated the entire volume of your system and what you have.... :flipoff2:
Yeah I agree Larger front. I run 7/8" front with 3/4" rear with 1/2 ton ford caliper front and GM metric rear.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
My $400 one works good, ha ha . It has its place but I have never trusted a full bleed on it. But for lots of things its has its place, and I can justify it bc I think I spent just over an hour installing a plow mount on a brand new truck to buy it :flipoff2:
Ouch mines was <$50 bucks.

Yeah I agree Larger front. I run 7/8" front with 3/4" rear with 1/2 ton ford caliper front and GM metric rear.
Um I think that should be flipped, the front should need less volume then the rears. Large single pistons calipers need the extra volume. Or do I have that backwards.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Man, so awesome to see this thing out of the garage and starting to behave as expected (except for that slight oops haha, but who hasn't been there). I hope we get to see some video footage when you take it out!

As for the brakes, I just did a little hunting, and I think you're on track with a larger bore front master. Rear explorer calipers seem to have a 1 7/8" piston which is 2.76 sq/in of surface area. I found Wilwood offers a few different Dynalite 4 piston calipers with 3.00, 4.12, and 4.8 sq/in of surface area respectively. So the front is going to need a bit more throw than the rear with equally sized masters.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
No help to add here, just pushed through the entire thread, and as been said before, awesome to see some outside the box thinking, doing things right the first time, and just taking the time to document it all. Awesome.

Enjoyed seeing the seasons change through your beer selections....

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
C'mon..........I'm not that far away. I thought I'd hear a news report about a jeep going 90mph down a local highway, flipping off the PA or NJ state police and darting into a cornfield by now......

Keep up the great work man and get it knocked out! Maybe I'll get a break from work to check out the tune session....

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
hope you didnt damage ecu usb port......
You had to say it, huh... :(

Didn't look damaged but yeah, tried doing some tuning tonight and it won't connect. Upon further inspection the housing around it cracked a little bit, and the pins are misaligned from the plug. And it's definitely a non-serviceable item. Fucker.

Well...I guess that simplifies tomorrow then. Radiator fan & shroud worked out perfect so I'll just drive it around more and see if I can get the existing tune to self-learn enough to make it worth dragging 5 hours down to the shock tuning event.

It's a crapshoot as I made several changes to things I knew were wrong, and was planning on uploading those tonight...oh well. Pretty much ready to go otherwise.

Lesson learned. Don't drive shit til it's done. :homer:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Shit happens.

I mis-wired the injector circuit on my Megasquirt and fried the injector drivers. Had to buy a new main board.

Get this thing up to Rocktoberfest.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
You had to say it, huh... :(

Didn't look damaged but yeah, tried doing some tuning tonight and it won't connect. Upon further inspection the housing around it cracked a little bit, and the pins are misaligned from the plug. And it's definitely a non-serviceable item. Fucker.

Well...I guess that simplifies tomorrow then. Radiator fan & shroud worked out perfect so I'll just drive it around more and see if I can get the existing tune to self-learn enough to make it worth dragging 5 hours down to the shock tuning event.

It's a crapshoot as I made several changes to things I knew were wrong, and was planning on uploading those tonight...oh well. Pretty much ready to go otherwise.

Lesson learned. Don't drive shit til it's done. :homer:
Should be able to solder a new female plug to the board.

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Solder a plug with a pigtail to the leads sticking out from the board? Unless the circuits are cracked internally under the potting and what's sticking out is no longer connected.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Should be able to solder a new female plug to the board.
Solder a plug with a pigtail to the leads sticking out from the board? Unless the circuits are cracked internally under the potting and what's sticking out is no longer connected.
no ecu is fully potted. only thing he could do is get holley 3.5" lcd screen and do all tuning from it
^^ this. One of the pins is broken off literally at the potting, and the others are kinda misaligned, and probably compromised if I try to straighten them.

Yes, in theory I could grind out some of the potting and get to the board, solder a pigtail to it, and get it active again...that's not gonna happen in the short term though. It'll be a new $1k ECU in the meanwhile and I'll shelve the other one to try and salvage as a spare on a rainy day two years from now.

Shit happens.

I mis-wired the injector circuit on my Megasquirt and fried the injector drivers. Had to buy a new main board.

Get this thing up to Rocktoberfest.
It'll be there...it's pretty much done besides this ECU thing. I took a break from it this morning, gonna do an oil change on the tow rig, then get it running and test out the 4wd and lockers for the first time. With the fan installed hopefully I can let it run on its own for a while and try to sort stuff out. I know I set the pinout for the fan trigger but I think the operating range is something like on at 195, off at 180, which is not where I want it...oh well. I have a manual override for it but no way to actually monitor the temp right now. :homer:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Does it have an OBD-II port on this ECU? If so, you could monitor it through that.

Aaron Z

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #774 (Edited)
Nah, no OBD port. Just the USB, and its own proprietary CANbus. In theory I can hook up the gauges I have and get the temperature readout; in practice I just ran and drove it for an hour and the fan turned on, and nothing puked out the radiator overflow, and the fan turned off again, so whatever. Seems like that's working OK.

It's a little grumpy to get running, but eventually it idles fine, and WOT works, so I guess we'll go with it.

Definitely got going fast enough on my ~220ft stretch to be scared. With some run-in to the whoops I'm sure I can get it moving; on my small test loop I had it in 3rd. The midrange RPM's just bring the suck and some points just shut it down, it is what it is.

Good news is I ran over a few cinder blocks and the few mounds etc I have in my backyard at what I figure to be 20 MPH, and it's like they're not even there. Suspension feels great already. If nothing else maybe I'll get Wayne to make some baseline changes (and I want to clock the reservoir fittings anyway), and be able to just get some seat time.

Also made the quickener bypass and got that installed...feels better, still slower than I'd like, and slower than it has the potential to be IMO. I'm sure I'll also try to get Wayne's input on that.

The shroud and fan from Griffin couldn't fit better. They did an awesome job and got it out the same day I called (they hand-build all of them to order, nothing in stock). Really clean work.

Time to go shopping for supplies & stuff for the weekend...

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
Loaded up, time to hit the road. 5 hours, crash for a few at a truck stop, then onto shock tuning.

Later fellas :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
Sup from Ashland, VA. It's 3:30 AM and raining, and baltimore sucks.

Guess I'll find out the hard way if I made everything weatherproof or not. :laughing:

Hopefully this damn thing will drive itself off the trailer in a few hours...

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
Just got home.

It drove well enough to make some passes, we made a couple valving changes, and I have a few more changes to make on the front shocks once I get working on it again.

Also spent a bunch of time just romping down trails, the ECU tuning is still an issue but it feels freakin great at speed. Probably up to 40-50 MPH on track very similar to what we race on at Rausch with plenty more on tap.

End of the day it drove back on the trailer under its own power, so I'd call it a success. Very few shakedown issues and I'm already very comfortable in it.

It's a little heavier now, though. :(

Should have more pics & video in the next few days thanks to Ty June at 4Low Offroad Magazine.

So after 3 years of building, this chapter finally comes to an end...time to start driving. Next stop, Rocktoberfest at Field & Forest in NH, 3 weeks from now. After the hell of the last 7 days, that sounds nice and relaxing. :D

761 - 780 of 959 Posts