Pirate 4x4 banner

921 - 940 of 959 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
Yeah, buncha stuff. First race on April 30th. :)

Had a lot of stuff go really right at Moab, but some interesting things went really wrong. I'll try to post some updates tonight.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yeah, buncha stuff. First race on April 30th.
What class are you running? What time will be you landing? I know we met briefly last year and I tried to find you a few times again but didn't. I'd like to take a closer look at the Rocker if we get time. My car has changed significantly since you last saw it.

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
What class are you running? What time will be you landing? I know we met briefly last year and I tried to find you a few times again but didn't. I'd like to take a closer look at the Rocker if we get time. My car has changed significantly since you last saw it.
Sometime friday afternoon/evening, I'd like to prerun but I've raced there a dozen times at this point so it's not that big of a deal, especially if the weather is shitty.

Hope to be B class, and it squeaks in by 1 point on paper, but that may be up to the judges - otherwise if it's A, that's fine, I ain't skeered. :D

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #927
So anyway...

Moab was a lot of fun. This thing continues to crawl amazingly and is everything I wanted from a trail-rig and street standpoint. Zero complaints...except, this happened.

Yeah yeah...cue the Dana 35 haters. :flipoff2:

Because turns out, it had nothing to do with the 35, and actually...things could have turned out much worse had the housing *not* self ventilated.

That happened going 60 MPH on the highway coming back from Area BFE. In 2wd. Or what was supposed to be 2wd...until unbeknownst to me, one of the shift rail caps had popped out of the Dana 300, which is on the bottom since it's flipped. All the oil ran out and caused the low-range gear to seize itself onto the front output, which basically engaged the front driveline into low-range at 60 MPH.

which in turn, basically caused the entire front end to try & wrap up - you can imagine how much force was generated, in literally an instant.

Enough that it tweaked the radius arm (which used to be flat):

and also tweaked the end of the beam (which also used to be flat):

So if the diff hadn't blown apart, who knows what the next point of failure would be...as it is I felt nothing more than a *bump* and then the driveshaft rattled around, and I was able to brake and safely get off the road, and drive it onto a trailer to get back.

With a month to go before the next race, I had a new diff housing, new R&P, install kit, and some other parts arriving home before my rig even made it back from Utah.

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #928
First up...the E-locker survived with no problems, so it went right into a new diff with a fresh set of 4.88s.

Next...tore down the t-case, which surprisingly was in really good shape other than the front output & low range gear. I think there was enough splash lube going on that most stuff on the top end was still getting oil thrown at it, and on the bottom the journal that carries the low range gear just ran dry. New front output ($37 on ebay) and a low range gear from my parts pile, new bearing kit, good to go.

(you'll note the long-term replacement in the above photo as well...)

Straightened out the radius arm...

Straightened and boxed in the beam, and we're rolling again. (new springs as well, up to 250/250 now)

A roof is required for racing, and I already had the tabs in place, so it was time to get started on the aluminum. 3/16" 5052.

Had to get creative with a torch to remove some of the temper, and the ratchet strap was sketchy as hell, but I got one side done. Proof of concept for the other side.

Finished that up last night along with a lot of other little crap, and painted to match...

Window nets, comm stuff, coolant overflow, and a bunch of other small things arrive tomorrow...so today is sort of a sit back and go over stuff sorta day.

Pretty manageable list left overall and I'm looking forward to the race debut this saturday. :D

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Looks good, glad you got it all back together.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Neat! Always interesting seeing how and why parts broke, quite a chain of events there. Mighta just been spinning fast enough long enough to sling the oil off? Heard of it happening in differentials when people are burning one tire for a long time. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why one of the spiders was welded to the cross pin in my F350 when I tore it down the first time.

Speaking of, if those V-blocks in the press are cast (the edges look pretty rounded, maaaaybe forged?), I would shy well away from doing that again, they come apart VIOLENTLY when being pressed on, even flat.

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #931
Neat! Always interesting seeing how and why parts broke, quite a chain of events there. Mighta just been spinning fast enough long enough to sling the oil off? Heard of it happening in differentials when people are burning one tire for a long time. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why one of the spiders was welded to the cross pin in my F350 when I tore it down the first time.

Speaking of, if those V-blocks in the press are cast (the edges look pretty rounded, maaaaybe forged?), I would shy well away from doing that again, they come apart VIOLENTLY when being pressed on, even flat.
If you look at the pic where I posted the bearing & race still inside the housing...I didn't drain that. The oil level shown there is where it was when things melted. :/

But...I've got drive slugs in the front, so the driveshaft is spinning regardless. The high range gear, while not directly coupled to the output shaft, is spinning at approximately 1:1 (as dictated by the rear driveshaft speed)...meanwhile the low range gear is spinning on the shaft at a speed of 2.62:1 less than the shaft is turning. That speed differential is eventually what ended up friction-welding things in place. Which happened quite abruptly - there was no drag, no noise, no warning, just a *pop* and then driveshaft banging around. I was impressed.

Which brings up a different point...I usually race this thing in low range, even back when it was in my XJ. I can top out at ~70 MPH at redline/overdrive in low. That means the high range gear is spinning free on that shaft at the equivalent of 183 MPH. :eek: I'm thinking I'm gonna tack those shift rail caps in place and make sure the case has plenty of breather capacity...

And yes - those are the Harbor Freight press blocks of death. I'm aware of their sketchiness, and while I think using them this way is marginally safer than flat (in compression rather than bending), I had a pretty long extension handle on the jack. Between that and the ratchet strap roof forming, you may be able to tell that most of my build process includes looking around the shop to find something that might work, and giving it a shot, while keeping in mind the consequences. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Holy hell thats a crazy chain of events. Glad it wasnt worse, and glad to see it going back together so quick. Still one of my favorite rigs ever.

Wes

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #933
Thanks!

Went for a ride a few miles down the road to go get fuel...everything feels great. My co-driver was over tonight helping to knock out a bunch of little jobs, one of which was installing the helmet intercoms, and we used this ride to test them out.

Almost back together, just need to finish up the window net hardware and some small plumbing fixes, and we're good to go for Saturday. Gonna spray some fresh paint on the reshaped hood before then too. :)

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
I've never thought of using the press plate vertical like you did but I like it. I'll be keeping that in mind when I need to straighten something.... even if it is sketchy.

What are you going to get some video of that front end cruising over some chop? More tuning needed I am guessing?

Buggy has a great overall look

·
Premium Member
11,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #937
Looks cool! Will get a close up look at it Saturday.
Thanks! Not sure where we'll be camping, but I'll be there early Friday afternoon.

What are you going to get some video of that front end cruising over some chop? More tuning needed I am guessing?
Nah, just nowhere local that I can easily do that. Hopefully there might be some video at the race this weekend. Front is probably about 80% dialed, I need to shorten the air bumps, but the springs should be good now...they were a bit light before. Now that it's fully race prepped the rear is a little light too, so I'm gonna crank another inch of preload in for the weekend, but valving-wise both ends are workable and I've already had the rear apart a few times.

I want to see some video too, just to see how broken it looks. :D

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Sorry I didn't get a chance to shoot the shit with you. How'd she do this weekend? Hope you had better luck than those of us further down the hill.

I rolled and broke a stub shaft, DNF
Smike had a flat and then rear driveshaft carrier failed, DNF
Matt emptied his trans, repaired a line, then finished.
Karl finished with a broken front inner shaft and no reverse.
Jeff Brown lost a front R&P climbing the hill from the start line
Tim Vasas had a worse roll and the car was whooped after 5 laps.

uugh is all I've got to say!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Sorry I didn't get a chance to shoot the shit with you. How'd she do this weekend? Hope you had better luck than those of us further down the hill.

I rolled and broke a stub shaft, DNF
Smike had a flat and then rear driveshaft carrier failed, DNF
Matt emptied his trans, repaired a line, then finished.
Karl finished with a broken front inner shaft and no reverse.
Jeff Brown lost a front R&P climbing the hill from the start line
Tim Vasas had a worse roll and the car was whooped after 5 laps.

uugh is all I've got to say!
I was just talking to Matt... that list makes me glad I took the race off!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Shit! That reminds me: props to Matt Moore for pulling me back to my wheels! I forgot to mention that twice now, serious shame on me!

921 - 940 of 959 Posts