Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Are you going to be able to get the third to carrier section of shaft straight?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Are you going to be able to get the third to carrier section of shaft straight?
If you're nicely asking if my angles are going to be all messed up, then yes, they are. :flipoff2:

The yokes on the mid shaft and the front axle are not going to be in the correct plane (parallel). Talking with the local driveshaft folks (D and D drivelines in Port Orchard - great to do business), indicated that up to about 45mph, I should be okay with the angles as I have them, more and I'd want another solution - which to me meant that I'll just run it and find out.

The D300 is something like 9" in between the input and output shaft, where the atlas is like 12.5" (not 100% on those numbers). So if its really bad, I should be able to swap to an Atlas with some not-huge modifications to the rest of the car, but still significant effort. This will move the T-case end of the front midshaft towards the drivers side ~3.5" and straighten it out quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
After getting the midshaft figured, I made the drivers floor pan and firewall section to figure out gas pedal, steering wheel and brake pedal mounting. Lots of beer drinking while trying to maximize strength in all the mounts and not add a lot of plate.

Bonus is that the brake pedal mount is a convenient cubby to stash tools and sharpies, where they hide from me for hours in plane sight, until I go to put something else there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Played around with steering pulley and pumps for way too long. Ended up with the pulley from the minivan, approx 3/4 bore and a "CB" pump from PSC. My other PSC pumps were jeep shaft size (close to 5/8") and I couldn't come up with a pulley with the right offset with that shaft size to make it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Took the rest of this week to get the body panels in order, a buddy had space in his schedule this weekend to mud and paint them, and being an amateur buggy fabricator guy, and a total newb with no patience for body work, I jumped at the chance to have someone with skill help me out. Still playing with the grill location, but the rest of the body panels are fit, tabed, riv-nut installed, and painted. Hood will be on 4 pins, and I will have to make the cowl later, but will paint it black to match the rest of the chassis for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Why no poly side panels?

Or is this thing just going to stay on the trailer:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Depending on the poly, I've seen people heat them up and roll em through the bead roller...

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
While the car is still straight....make another set...or 3 of panels....from experience :laughing:
Going to be done for supercrawl?? I may end up going with some friends

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Why no poly side panels?

Or is this thing just going to stay on the trailer
The aluminum is cheap at .032 thk. And I'll probably make a flat poly side panel for the passenger side.

I'll expect these panels to last about 2 days at trail hero, as long as I can keep the jeep the hood intact, I'll be happy.

How would he get the XJ body lines in a poly panel?
Yeah, what he said!

Depending on the poly, I've seen people heat them up and roll em through the bead roller...
That would require a bead roller...

While the car is still straight....make another set...or 3 of panels....from experience

Going to be done for supercrawl?? I may end up going with some friends
Yeah! Phil and I are planning on it, I paid my entry fee, so it actually costs money to miss it... or something... if you don't count diesel and energy drink cost...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Making a giant mess of the garage and the driveway getting the interior figur'd. On the last car, I copied Chris Vetteboy's interior as he'd documented well in his build, with some moderate success, and thought I'd try it again. Turns out McMaster stores your past orders, just click buy the same things, and another box of riv nuts, 1/4-20 bolts and neoprene gasketed washers shows up. Don't have much tooling to cut aluminum, so my granddad's wood router with a 3/8, 2 flute bit and my ear muffs are getting a workout while showering my exposed agrigate driveway with aluminum shavings and pissing off my neighbors. Luckily the folks across the street moved in this weekend, so I could set the understanding appropriately.

Console is framed in 3/4x0.065 square with small sections of 5/8x0.065 welded to the chassis. Bottom of the 3/4 is cut open, and some "T" nuts weld into the 5/8, so the whole console frame can come out when I find out I need to pull my t-case or some other dumb thing. Floors are 1/8" aluminum to provide some stiffness and protect from broken spinning parts, console top and sides are 1/16" aluminum because it's what the welding supply place carries that's not 1/8" or 1/32" and my tiny harbor freight brake can form it

Lots of Riv Nuts, the neoprene gasketed washers, and a formed edge in every panel hopefully will keep the rattles to a minimum.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Steering wheel is on the wrong side....:flipoff2:

Hope to see you during TH. We have a crew going down. I'm not 100% though, starting a apprenticeship and don't know what the employer is going to say about 7 days off in the first month of employment.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)
Steering wheel is on the wrong side....
No turbo, left hand drive, runs on 87 octane pump gas... how conventional... ho-hum...

Hope to see you during TH. We have a crew going down. I'm not 100% though, starting a apprenticeship and don't know what the employer is going to say about 7 days off in the first month of employment.
I wouldn't phrase it that way, I'd open with "I'll be there 14 working days" and close with "I'll miss 7".

I hope you and I can both make it. I had a good time wheeling with you guys.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Looking like a long test drive from the garage to the trailer is in order, before heading to Reno for Supercrawl 2017 (SUPERCRAWL 2017 – Rockcrawling in Reno, NV – September 23-24, 2017).

Its been a long 3 weeks since I posted here. Got the brakes bled, fuel system working, wired enough to start the car, and got NOTHING from the transmission when putting it in gear. Some trouble shooting, pulled the trans, decided it was the valve body not allowing fluid where it should go.

Wasn't confident in the Cheetah valve body based on some conversations with folks, but got ahold of SMR transmissions in Bradford, Ontario, Canada, who rushed out a 904 valve body with low band apply (will provide compression braking in 1st gear). Got that installed (trans back in) and the car moves! I think the cheetah may have worked, but the manual valve was bent, and slipped out of the shift arm. I'll need to call them when I get done with the car and see what they think.

Anyway, got the tin work complete, wired everything I need for now, plumbed everything, neatly tucked most everything where it needs to be, got the panels back from paint, made a roof (that I don't like, but I don't have material or time to make a different one right now)...

Crazy long hours finishing stupid little brackets / tabs / mounts / wires / hoses...

I've had the t-case out 4 times trying to seal the input. Sealed bearing for some reason doesn't seem to seal. I seem to have gotten it to where it only weeps 1 drop / day now, so it will have to be good enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Also, after getting a working transmission, I got so excited about being able to drive the buggy, I forgot to secure the ignition wires, and they wrapped around the steering column, and eventually shorted the ignition system.
These wires let the smoke out....

And got skid plates all made and installed, no good photos of that right now - but these were the boat sides.

Also some photos of the body panels -

And finally (after fixing the wires and double checking everything that I could), drove it to the driveway. Justin Hutchinson in the drivers seat in this shot. (Note the fire extinguisher on HOT standby, just incase I forgot something else too...:eek:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Some photos. Loading up for supercrawl in Reno. See it live this weekend!

Also, I finally figured out what this green metal box in my front yard was put there for.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 144 Posts