Registered
8,947 Posts
Built in true Pierate fashion.

I'll drink a tan can with you at TH:smokin:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
How did your weekend turn out at SuperCrawl? I saw your rig at tech for a bit then we didn't cross paths again.
Weekend didn't go exactly as planned, but well enough.

After thorough testing via driving around the block a few times, discovering somehow I'd reassembled the T-case where rear high range doesn't work, and attempting to re-seal the t-case input about 4 times, I test drove it once more from the garage to the power transformer to the trailer. :flipoff2:

Got to supercrawl Friday afternoon, got camp setup, and decided to drive the rig around on some rocks near the camp to see what it would do, make sure the trans cooler fan comes on, etc.

After driving a few lines, one of my buddies noticed some fluid coming out near the back of the engine. We determined it was tranny fluid, coming from behind the torque converter, decided I must have knicked the input seal when seating the converter or something. Quick trip to summit, had a new seal and 2 more gallons of ATF, decided to run Saturday and just keep an eye on fluid level and adjust from there.

Got up to the courses, and decided maybe the fluid leak was a shade worse than imagined, added a quart, and ran A1.

Rig performed GREAT. According to Bryan Whitford (1uglyranger) I took a super fawked up line through the first gate, and then made it worse by turning uphill to miss the bonus cone, but the rig felt super stable through it all. 2 gate, no problem, 3 gate had a pretty big climb, got lined up front tires over the top, tried to crawl it, and the trans would barely move the car. got it to reverse off, and when leveled out, trans worked again, so gave it a decent bump up and through with momentum while the trans had fluid at the pump. Dropped the 4 gate intentionally taking a cone and finished.

Added another quart of tranny fluid, ran A2 - similar stability and performance from the rig. Clean climb through 1 gate and 2 gate. got lined up to back down between gates 2 and 3 and got the front differential hooked on a rock with the rear of the car part way off the ledge. Trans fluid coming out, and the buggy wouldn't turn the tires except with a lot of throttle. Phil Weeks (Phil The Thrill) spotted me and we pinched a couple rocks on the passenger front inside sidewall and got unstuck, and successfully backed down. With limited time, climbed through the 3 gate on the throttle, and up to and through the 4 gate taking a cone. Timed out with one tire outside the exit gate, couldn't get the car to front dig uphill in time to make it out of the course.

Added another quart of tranny fluid, ran A3. To try and save time, we'd planned on taking a cone in the #1 and #3 gates. Perhaps we should have tried harder. Basically idled through that course, per plan, finished with 5 minutes remaining.

Added another quart, ran A4. Got all fawked up in the #1 gate, had the car on 2 (drivers side) wheels for a brief second, but was able to drive it back out, super fawked line (rear end too high), but still, the car felt stable, didn't jack weird in 4wd forward, front wheel drive forward or reverse, and was able to drive out of it. Took a cone there. Forgot the strategy for lining up for gate 2, turned the wrong way, lined up 45* off, tried it anyway. Lots of throttle because the ledge was way taller at this angle, took both cones, but made it.
Lined up for gate 3 per plan, apparently rear locker wasn't locked, tried to crawl the climb, wasn't having it, backed up, little throttle, took 4th cone, thanks for the 38 point score.

Decided to pull the trans Saturday evening, hoping it was the input seal. got it out, found a scored / spun input bushing, chunks of babbit type material, a scored torque converter bearing surface, and called it.

Loaded up Sunday to head home to get a head start on fixing the rig to get it ready for Trail Hero. :eek:

Overall though, I'm super pumped on the rig performance. I've never turned a front axle that far in my life. With the engine so far back and down in the car, it digs like a champ! The car never unloaded or jacked funny and overall is a HUGE improvement over the old car - once I get the trans figured out. :D :smokin:

What's going on with the trans:
I drilled the holes in the flex plate to match the converter using a transfer punch, but it took a little flexing to install the converter bolts the first time. (I didn't do a perfect job transferring holes) On initial startup, at around 1500RPM or more, there was a pretty good squeal coming from somewhere. I observed a pretty good wobble of the T/C and the flex plate. What I think happened was I cocked the converter in the crank pilot, which spun the front pump bearing (the squealing). I hogged out the flex plate holes, and was more careful installing the bolts next time, and got almost all of the wobble to go away, but I think the damage was already done. :(

Some pictures by John Herrick of Crawl Magazine and Max VanDervoort (3_wheel_drive), if you don't want to read all that: :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Looks super tall unless the driver is that short.....
It's built that way on purpose. Head, neck, and spine injuries are much more prodominate in cars with low roof lines.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Looks super tall unless the driver is that short.....
It's built that way on purpose. Head, neck, and spine injuries are much more prodominate in cars with low roof lines.
I am 6'3", and I've had my seatbelts stretch in a few roll overs and seen my excessive clearance disappear really quick.

I agree that a few inch lower roof might improve aesthetics, but I'm happy with the head room available in the car for me and any passengers. Also, stuffing my 6'3" body through the window opening currently isn't as easy as the old car, so with 2" or so lower roof, I'd expect that would be even harder to fold me in half.

My previous car (The pope mobile, according to Pat at Those Guys Rod and Customs :flipoff2:) had the seats mounted about 2" higher, and the roof was about 6" higher, so I think I improved a bit.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
At least you got a little testing time in.......:flipoff2:

I seriously was telling Matt Deas when I saw it (at tech) that you finished it and rolled it into the trailer and brought it to tech for Whitford to look it over to see if the bolts were all tight....:laughing:

Tough break..... but you got a year till Jesse does another event by then you should have those issues worked out!! The panels look too nice to ruin at a comp!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
So, started tearing into the t-case, and.... I'm a dumb ass.

Observe the difference in the two photos below, and think which one would prevent rear high range from working....

In other news, trans back, new pump, new frictions, new rear band, new T/C... Trans and t-case stabbed back on, new sealed input bearing on the t-case, finish assembly tomorrow, just in time for another long test drive from the garage to the trailer, before I drive 20+ hours to Trail Hero.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
At least you got a little testing time in.......

I seriously was telling Matt Deas when I saw it (at tech) that you finished it and rolled it into the trailer and brought it to tech for Whitford to look it over to see if the bolts were all tight....

Tough break..... but you got a year till Jesse does another event by then you should have those issues worked out!! The panels look too nice to ruin at a comp!
Whitford may have been a better guy for the job!

Panels will probably look like a smashed A-hole at the end of next week, and once that's over with, it's on!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I checked this rig out Saturday eve at SC, (was over there with Kenny looking at trans/issues), slick build!! I liked it when I saw it from a distance, and really liked it when I got closer!! It'll be even better when u get the bugs worked out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I checked this rig out Saturday eve at SC, (was over there with Kenny looking at trans/issues), slick build!! I liked it when I saw it from a distance, and really liked it when I got closer!! It'll be even better when u get the bugs worked out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words. Probably would have looked nicer if i wasn't yarding put the transmission.
Haha, see you soon Bodie! Keep em cold for me.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
So, an update from Trail Hero -

Got the trans back from the trans builder Thursday after work, stabbed it on, got it started and wrapped up Friday night late. Took on adding a propane refrigerator to the living quarters trailer in the week between super crawl, which apparently requires cutting a huge hole in the trailer.

Saturday and Sunday morning, drove to Utah.
Got into camp, got setup, and then went to drive over to the trail breaker area, and got not to far, and the drivers side cutting brake locked up both drivers side calipers. While looking for wrenches, the rear brake line literally exploded and split open I assume from the heat and pressure. I shortened the hose, bled the brakes (kinda) and went for a spin.

Monday was the first real trail, ran Chain Reaction with the Sketch Oregon Boys, and I was already happy with my decision to build this car. I've driven that trail maybe 10 times in the old ride, and had the lines pretty well figured out and this car ran them all with minimal effort, climbed better - like I felt I knew the limits of the old car and how I had to stab it into places and load it just right to get the front tires to climb then use the clutch to get the car to drive or slip or whatever, and I cant say enough about how much easier this car was to get the front end to do what I wanted. Also, with the weight balance, 3-wheel drive with the rear un-locked and one cutting brake being held works wonders for sidehills.

Tuesday, ran Chutes and Ladders and TNT with the sketch oregon boys. In the old car, I made the first climb on chutes and ladders in the first shot, and I was denied in this car. I attribute that to the lower belly, or the climb being more dug out - not sure which. The old car had a 20"+ belly, and this has more like a 14" belly with the amount of nitrogen I had in the shocks :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
nice updates :smokin:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Sometime, I noticed that the trans was 'venting' approximately 1 quart of fluid / day out the vent, so I started adding a quart of Dex III when filling the buggy in the morning.

Wednesday I lead the Front Range trail for Trail Hero, with some of the Fab Fours guys and some of the Baile Built guys and some other folks on the trail. I'd only ran that trail once before, but I was very happy with the rig and it was basically point and shoot all day. Got off the trail, and headed over to watch Trail Breaker.

Thursday lead Nasty Half trail with a great group of buggies, including the FabFours guys again, some folks from San Diego, and Jarred Neaf. Nora's dad rode with me, and the nice folks from Fab Fours gave Nora a ride - who was able to take some of these photos.

The final obstacle on Nasty Half has a semi-tricky climb out wedge that narrows and widens a few times, and in the old ride, I'd always inevitably slipped the passenger tires into the wedge near the top, then driven the car out on its passenger door skin. This time, no problem, was able to steer the car and use the rear cutting brakes to keep the car up.
We went on to run upper Nasty Half (Nasty Hole), and the first half of Joint effort, before heading back down to watch the rock race. On Joint Effort, there is a climb that I'd made in the old car, that had a similar breakover to the Chutes and Ladders climb, and I wasn't sure how it was going to go - popped right up! :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Friday - lead Chain Reaction for Trail Hero with all the Gordon Bailie and a bunch of his friends, and again was impressed with the buggy - proved that monday's success wasn't just luck, the buggy ran all the lines I wanted. Very excited. :grinpimp:

Nora jumped in to see if the rig really was as point and shoot as I'd thought, and was all smiles after climbing a few ledges. :D:D

Attachments

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Those #sketchyoregonboys are nothing but trouble, I’d steer clear of them if possible.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts