Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Saturday, while heading from camp to the trail staging area, something internal to the trans gave up, and 1st and 2nd gear had almost nothing there. 3rd and reverse seem to work as expected, but after getting the folks who were supposed to run arrowhead lined up with another group, I headed back to camp. Getting ready to load the buggy into the trailer, 1st gear, low range didnt have enough in it to drive the front tires onto the enclosed trailer ramp :shaking:
2nd trip in a row, I winched the rig into the trailer :(

But, got to go hike kanaraville falls with the #SketchyOregonBoys on the way home.

Overall a huge success, some more to learn about automatic transmissions :flipoff2: and maybe time to buy some 40's to get the belly up a little, but overall, very happy with the rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Got it out of the trailer and into the garage, decided to weigh the buggy with an action packer full of recovery gear and the 2 tool bags I was carrying, and I'd guess 5 gallons (of 8) in the fuel cell. I later removed the skid plate and found 15lbs of trans fluid and gear oil soaked sand on the skidplate (damn near broke my dust pan trying to scoop it into the garbage can!!)

No water in the tires. No idea what the old car weighed, but this one seems way more nimble and lighter, so I'll take 3300lbs as a win. :flipoff2:

Now taking time to catch up on other projects that I'd been ignoring for the past 3 months, but hope to have the trans out and to the trans builder this week so he can tell me why it doesn't go forward anymore, and which $500 billet piece to buy to prevent that from happening again :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Did I mention I went to SAND Hollow?

As I lifted that out, taking the weight off the tube / battery I'd set it on caused the car to lift up 1.5", which of course meant I had to lift it another 1.5" to get the Trans over the belt line.

I'll get it to the trans builder after work tomorrow. Also, making my interior unboltable has paid out, this is the 4th? Or 5th? Time I've had the trans out. And between me and 3 buddies, we had it out at supercrawl in Reno in about 40 minutes, while beer drinking. Took me a little longer by myself tonight, but not hard for a week night after work.

Side note, if the trans needs to come out and WASN'T pouring all the fluid out the front seal, you should make provisions to catch fluid from the trans when you remove the t-case. On the other hand, my garage floor isn't likely to rust any time soon. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
What tires are you thinking of getting? I'll be starting my buggy here soon down at Pat's.
Shouldn’t really matter as long as they are sticky, 39.5 tall, and red:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I remember selling you a Rubi t case way back in the day. You and your rig(s) have come a long way Opie!
I love this build. For me, this is what Pirate used to be all about. Detailed builds with outside the box thinking and great trails.

Terrific job man. If you ever head east of the mighty Mississippi, give me a yell and we'll wheel.:beer:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Shouldn’t really matter as long as they are sticky, 39.5 tall, and red:flipoff2:
Where did you find 39.5 Reds? I thought 39.5 was reserved for the interco products that hoped to be round. :flipoff2:
(https://www.jacksonmotorsportsgroup.com/tire_sales/product/n30857)

What tires are you thinking of getting? I'll be starting my buggy here soon down at Pat's.
At this point, to be honest, I'm out of cash, so whatever I can get a deal on.

I've run BFG reds in 37's and now Maxxis Trep stickies in 37's. I would buy either of them in a 40 (or 39 :flipoff2:) and be excited. I don't really care to try anything else, based on what I've seen, save for maybe the new pro-comp sticky that Jake Hallenbeck and Justin Hall are running on their rigs, but only if I got a really good deal on those, they don't look as cool :laughing:

I love this build. For me, this is what Pirate used to be all about. Detailed builds with outside the box thinking and great trails.

Terrific job man. If you ever head east of the mighty Mississippi, give me a yell and we'll wheel.:beer:
Thanks for the invite! That far east takes a lot of planning, so I would have to call in all the favors. I also will note that I spent quite a bit of time researching and mostly stealing good ideas from other builds, on here, and the facebook - and not a small amount from Jesse Haines.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Got the trans back. Blew the teeth that retain the forward drum (not front drum) pressure plate snap ring. Called all over, including Pat at SMR who made my valve body, and A+A transmissons (who specialize in 904 stuff and are very familiar with out application and make valve bodies for 4x4s), and no one could say they ever had this happen before. 2 companies sell billet 7075 drums for big money, but suggested I run another stock one as my failure was likely a fluke.
Added a deep pan this time to hopefully fix the fluid starvation problems I'd been having.

Taking care of a few other items - my 2lb residual pressure valves for the brakes leaked, sent them in, refreshed and fixed. C and C in San Diego took care of me on those.

I'd always been worried about how close my fuel, brake, and rear Zip locker line ran to the spinning time of my rear driveshaft, and disassembly to get the trans out showed that grease from the u-joint was getting on everything, so I made a quick and dirty shield to protect the important things from getting wrapped in the shaft. It's under the console, so aesthetics weren't that important.

The driver front axle seal leaks really bad, but I think that is because I melted the o-rings when I welded the shock mount on. Should have taken the time to pull it then, but that is still on the list to be fixed. Otherwise, a remote filler for the fuel system, dual action sanding for the interior panels and a bit and bolt check, then out to get it dirty again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Did you park it in the garage for winter now? Do you have any plan's for some trail wheeling around here?
After I get it back together (hopefully finish tomorrow) I'm definitely interested in some winter wheeling. Of course, snowmobile season is here to distract me, but...

Trans took a little longer to get back to me, seems someone's mega cab needed to have a trans rebuilt... scott showed me the carnage there. Bummer. When do you start your chassis?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ya the tranny went bang!....:shaking: That wasn't in the cards right now but I should have put a Billet input shaft in it when Scott freshen it up 30k miles ago.

I got the crossmembers all welded up for the chassis, so hoping to start on the tube work in the next week or so. I'm debating on making it rear steer right now. Probably going to sell the Toyota too so I have enough cash to pimp it out. Can't wait to get it done so I can come out and wheel with you guys.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Oh, forgot I weighed it after getting home from trail hero.

Some gas in tank, approx 20lbs of sand and gear oil on the skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Good job on the weight. Keeping them light is a PITA.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Got front axle seals replaced, added the 'fender fill kit' for the fuel cell. Should make it easier to add fuel now, with out looking all flat-bill-guy-desert-racer.

Couple other small things. While leading Chain Reaction at Trail Hero, with my rig parked, and having been off for maybe 15 minutes, there was a loud pop, almost like a firecracker. Never figured out what that was, until I got home. Trail gear bellows went boom! Made a proper rear axle vent line into a catch can. I guess I'd prefer that bellows let go rather than the rear axle seals. I attribute that to being installed at sea level in 60 degree weather, then towed to elevation and 80 degree weather, and a little heat from use.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Got out for some local wheeling at Tahuya state forest to burn some gas and drive around inn the woods.

Met up with Tory Trinka, who agreed to spot for me in the upcoming WeRock west season.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
That place has changed a bit since the last time I was there it seems.

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
nice :smokin: weather has actually been pretty dang good for it lately!

121 - 140 of 144 Posts