Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've run DIY, Champion, Spyderlock and Hutchinsons. Hands down my dual beadlock Hutchinson's are the way to go. More expensive but you never need to worry about burping an inner bead and they are DOT approved. I realize they don't meet your stated budget, but you will never look back with them.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
That model appears to he the only beadlock? Where did you find $257? Best i could find was $1100 for 17x9.
My original pic. was a website with the price, but only the pic printed. I didn't think anything about it because I thought that was a usual price. Now I can't find the site, also that price was not specifically for the 8-6 1/2, but I assume the price should be the same. So I did find a Pirate vendor that sells Dirtylife wheels and asked for a quote on Dirtylife 17x9, 8-6 1/2, 4 1/2" backset machine finish beadlocks. Hopefully I'll get a good Black Friday sale price, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
be careful w/ the dirty life wheels. thee was just a huge post about everybody's horror stories on facebook - think it was in the rock buggies or rockcrawling classifieds group

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
What?..........I'm too old for Facebook. What is wrong with Dirtylife wheels? If I wasn't so far over budget I would just buy the badass Walker Evans and be done with it.............BB Wheels has Dirtylife $283.95, free lug nuts, free shipping, no tax if you don't live in Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Screen shot? Face book is the devil
What?..........I'm too old for Facebook. What is wrong with Dirtylife wheels? If I wasn't so far over budget I would just buy the badass Walker Evans and be done with it.............BB Wheels has Dirtylife $283.95, free lug nuts, free shipping, no tax if you don't live in Minnesota.

@Jackson77474 posted his issues on instagram as well but he hasnt logged on here since july.

i will try to copy some of the verbiage over tonight for you guys.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Screen shot? Face book is the devil
@Jackson77474 posted his issues on instagram as well but he hasnt logged on here since july.

i will try to copy some of the verbiage over tonight for you guys.
Tim Jackson was having issues with the inner bead machined surface. It wouldn't seat the tires correctly. I want to say they sent him another set eventually.

·
NERD
8,594 Posts
be careful w/ the dirty life wheels. thee was just a huge post about everybody's horror stories on facebook - think it was in the rock buggies or rockcrawling classifieds group
A few desert racers on IG made a few posts about grenading 3 wheels in a single race. These were sponsored rigs and the guys were PISSED about losing because of a wheel. Probably fine for a mall crawler but I’d never run one on a rig that sees real abuse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a set of the 9302's. I had a set of 37" falken MT's on them and a set of 37" KM2's. I never had a problem losing a bead or them seating properly. Price was cheep (even in canuckistan pesos) and I had them within a week to my door. They have changed the bead locking ring machining now, but I never had a problem. my bitch was the lack of backspacing options; I went from BAD with 3.5" to these with almost 4.5" and had to massage a TRE on the high steer setup or use spacers.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
A guy I know runs the Dirty Life wheels on his Toyota. He's run them about 8 months now and they've been all good. He's not desert racing, rock bouncing, or anything of the sort, but they've had their scrapes and bumps. They seem to be holding up fine so far on his normal every day guy wheeling rig.

I'd say that no, they are not a tough as nails racing rim, but I don't think they are billed that way either. They bring an affordable different looking beadlock to the recreational wheeler. At least that's the way I see it.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I really liked my KMC's for a budget priced wheel. The shell was super thick and they have the wide flat safety bead. No burps with 41.5 radial pitbulls at 2 lbs.

I had my hands on a set of dirty life wheels and wasn't impressed. Shell looked thin like a normal nonbeadlock wheel, plus the standard safety bead. I also don't like the lack of bolts on the ring. Especially since the hardware they provide looks cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont know about the best but their the only ones that work with the tires I have. 21”dia x 24”wide double beadlocks made by some guy who probably drinks his weight in Vodka each week.

I had them along with the 52”x27” low impact tires imported from Russia for an amphibious buggy I’m building. The 4 tires can easily float a 4700 pound Jeep.

My plan was to post a pic of them but apparently I don’t have a high enough post count...

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Well, with all the negative comments I'm backing away from The Dirtylife wheels. I'm looking at the Battle Born, Bootleg wheels now. They're in my price range and I have not been able to find any negative comments on them yet. I wanted to get a machine finish but the Battle Born only comes in matte black finish. These go for $297/ea., but they are on sale for Black Friday. Thanks for the info on Dirty Life, let me know the pros and cons on the Battle Born wheels. Also, let me know if there's any pros and cons on Method 101 beadlocks (pic only shows 6 lug on their site, but I've seen 8 lug in other pictures), they are $309 but haven't found a vendor Black Friday price. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Well, with all the negative comments I'm backing away from The Dirtylife wheels. I'm looking at the Battle Born, Bootleg wheels now. They're in my price range and I have not been able to find any negative comments on them yet. I wanted to get a machine finish but the Battle Born only comes in matte black finish. These go for $297/ea., but they are on sale for Black Friday. Thanks for the info on Dirty Life, let me know the pros and cons on the Battle Born wheels. Also, let me know if there's any pros and cons on Method 101 beadlocks (pic only shows 6 lug on their site, but I've seen 8 lug in other pictures), they are $309 but haven't found a vendor Black Friday price. Thanks.
IMO buy what's in your budget. I have owned Trail Ready that were covered in welds where they kept breaking, and ended up having to just run tubes in both rears. I've Had Forged Raceline DCs that every center had a hairline crack in them. The only set I never had issues with were the AEV Pintlers, but maybe I just wasn't wheeling hard enough yet. I grabbed some dirt cheap ATX Pro Chamber II, but haven't gotten them out of the garage yet to testify their strength.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I'm not experienced with the Battle Born wheels, but I like the methods looks better, and based on their bigger presence in the market, I'd pony up the extra $12 a wheel for the Methods.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have ran LOTS of different beadlocks on rigs over the years and I keep going back to Trailreadys. They really take a beating and are the ONLY 100% USA-made option. I really beat on them hard in my rock buggy. They may be out of your price range, but the price really isn't bad considering the quality and the fact that they are a USA made product.

As with any single beadlock wheel, just take an extra 2 minutes per wheel and do the duct-tape trick and you will never lose an inner bead.

Hutchinson beadlocks were the WORST I have ever ran. Having the bolts stick out of the wheel is a HORRIBLE idea for wheelers who play in the rocks, as I kept damaging them. Hutchinson also refuses to sell the outer rings separately, so you have to buy a whole new wheel when you ruin the ring. Also, there is no WORSE beadlock to have when you need to break down a tire for a trail repair. Adding to the already long list of negatives, they are also unnecessarily heavy.

Be careful of those cheap Chinese Dirtylife wheels. I have seen several pictures of broken ones on the Rock Buggies FB page.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of the countersunk allens. I would imagine they would be a royal pain to get out after a few seasons of even moderate rock crawling.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Ultra has some pretty affordable beadlocks if you are jumping to the $300-350 range

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Dirty Life is making some nice wheels at a decent price. Also have a DOT wheel that is also a beadlock. The tire can be mounted as a beadlock or as a DOT wheel. You just swap the rings. Great option for people that need a DOT stamp on the wheel.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts