Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has got to be the coolest tech thing ever.

A Rover axle nut threads on perfectly to a GM hydroboost booster. I had cracked the GM nut while removing the old bracket, and the nut is forged from UndafawkobtainiumrightfromGM. So I was sobbing in my beer at my misfortunes and contemplating making another in the lathe, and I started looking for a suitable piece I could turn. I thought about a rover axle nut, and lo and behold it fit perfectly right on. Pretty unbelievable. Just tight enough, not too tight. The threads are a perfect fit.

Anyways, so it just got like soo much easier to install hydroboost on a Land-Rover as you can ditch the ghetto nut and bracket and just build an attachment plate with a 1.?? hole and bolt it up with a rover stub axle nut.

That is all.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
HandBuilt said:
A Rover axle nut threads on perfectly to a GM hydroboost booster.
Holy sheet!!!! So no need to use that POS thin square "nut" ... awsome, awsome, awsome piece of data.
Thanks JL. :D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aloharover said:
Holy sheet!!!! So no need to use that POS thin square "nut" ... awsome, awsome, awsome piece of data.
Thanks JL. :D
Yeah, that stock nut SUCKS! I broke it immediately when I was trying to remove the factory bracket from the booster, and welded it ( :eek: ) and ran it for a while. I was always a little worried it would break and I would die.

I actually welded an Eaton bearing adjuster axlenut to the rover axlenut, to make it easier to get it off.

For those of you that don't have hydroboost on a rig, don't fawk around, I will never run a stupid vacuum booster again. Especially with my new gear driven P/S pump :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Hey JL, I disagree... I think the best tech threah ever is going to be "What to do with 120 feet of 2x5 3/16" wall tubing you got for free" :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
64rovr said:
Hey JL, I disagree... I think the best tech threah ever is going to be "What to do with 120 feet of 2x5 3/16" wall tubing you got for free" :flipoff2:
"Shove it up your ass" is a good start.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
HandBuilt said:
Yeah, that stock nut SUCKS! I broke it immediately when I was trying to remove the factory bracket from the booster, and welded it ( :eek: ) and ran it for a while.
I just wish you had "discovered" this a week ago, I just got done replacing my hb :flipoff2:
Pete
ps check you pm's

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Cool tech.

Bit of a newb question...

So what GM vehicles was hydroboost fitted to - I have never seen it in Australia, but I am keen since I don't have a vacuum pump on the IIA and will be going to discs and power steering soon.

·
Registered
897 Posts
ISUZUROVER said:
Cool tech.

So what GM vehicles was hydroboost fitted to - I have never seen it in Australia, but I am keen since I don't have a vacuum pump on the IIA and will be going to discs and power steering soon.
I'd like to know as well.

Would also give me more alternator options including those without vacuum pumps.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
ISUZUROVER said:
Cool tech.

www.hydroboost.com sells components and kits. I like their universal with the adjustable pushrod, but its expensive $350
Local parts store 1984 GMC hydroboost is $200

GM Vehicles
1970's Cadilac Eldorados
1984-199? GMC/Chevy 6.2/6.5l Diesel trucks and vans including the HMMWV
199?-present GM trucks with the Duramax diesel
2004-2005 just about every freekin GM 1/2 ton truck, H-2, Avalanche, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, etc
mid 80's to present GMC big trucks, 1+ ton, supposedely use them also

I have also read that Ford and Dodge diesel trucks also use a hydroboost.
Pete

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
aloharover said:
www.hydroboost.com sells components and kits. I like their universal with the adjustable pushrod, but its expensive $350
Local parts store 1984 GMC hydroboost is $200

GM Vehicles
1970's Cadilac Eldorados
1984-199? GMC/Chevy 6.2/6.5l Diesel trucks and vans including the HMMWV
199?-present GM trucks with the Duramax diesel
2004-2005 just about every freekin GM 1/2 ton truck, H-2, Avalanche, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, etc
mid 80's to present GMC big trucks, 1+ ton, supposedely use them also

I have also read that Ford and Dodge diesel trucks also use a hydroboost.
Pete
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately most of those never made it to Australia (except in extremely low numbers). Did the Ford F-trucks have them???

So $350 for a new "universal" kit - what about the price for a second hand one in the US (from a breaker)? Looks like something else to buy when I am in the US next year - I will have choose airlines based on baggage weight limits and excess baggage prices!!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ISUZUROVER said:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately most of those never made it to Australia (except in extremely low numbers). Did the Ford F-trucks have them???

So $350 for a new "universal" kit - what about the price for a second hand one in the US (from a breaker)? Looks like something else to buy when I am in the US next year - I will have choose airlines based on baggage weight limits and excess baggage prices!!!
I paid 50$ for a complete hydroboost setup including half the cab of the Chevy 1 ton it came out of. If you know where to look it's not hard to find them cheap, however if you have limited time it might be harder.

To the best of my knowledge, ford F trucks never had them. The 6.9/7.3s all had vacuum pumps, as did the Dodge diesel stuff. I plugged my vacuum pump because I much prefer the hydroboost feel and power.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
64rovr said:
I'm going to say "let it sit and rust, and talk about it endlessly"..

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :grinpimp:

·
Registered
10 Posts
ISUZUROVER said:

The Ford Super Duties do have hydroboost as an option.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts