Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
well this has me totally stumped.. i have tried so many things! the solenoid is good i tried it in my other truck along with the same battery and they both worked fine.. could the starter be in at a bad angle or something? and not be able to spin?

Okay maybe it was said and I missed it but is your battery good? I had the same thing happen in the Sploder and after I replaced the selenoid and all my cables it turned out to be the battery. Even with two rigs trying to jump it, one with a semi-battery there was nothing. New battery cured it though

Edit- It could be shimmed wrong not allowing it to spin, not much experiance there for me, anyone else?

Discussion starter · #24 ·
i got the starter working fine. it just didnt have any power with that battery. i tried it with my optima and it worked fine. but it doesnt seem to be getting any power when it is bolted in though..

Discussion starter · #26 ·
well i am still not sure what is wrong.. i have checked all of the wires countless times. and i am going to try a different battery tomorrow. but this is really frustrating.. i just wanna blow it up!!

I will give $50 for it. LOL Why dont you try calling me it isnt going to cost you anything. If you are on a half decent phone and you are near the truck I might be able to tell you what is wrong just by listening to it. If not we can go through some quick tests and figure it out. Just make sure you have a spare battery, set of jumper cables, and a volt meter handy (a spare set of hands would be helpful too). It should only take 5 -10 minutes. As long as I am not swamped when you call I dont mind doing it.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
well it would be a few days before i would be able to call (cheap ass cell phones break extremely easy!) but if i dont have it fixed by the time i have a new phone i will give you a call.

Try unhooking the alternator, I had a "NEW" bad alternator regulator zap just enough juice to keep it from cranking on my '79, install a fresh charged battery and try it. Starters can spin with very little voltage, but engaging and cranking an engine is another story. If the key is activating the solenoid, and the solenoid is sending power to the starter, you either have a current drain (alternator regulator), a bad ground, or a dead starter. Does the battery run down in the truck if it sits overnight?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
well i am going to get a new battery and solenoid just to be safe so i dont get stranded when i go wheelin this weekend. i think it should take car of it.... hopefully. if it doesnt ill just have my buddy tow me on the trail! :D

Discussion starter · #32 ·
well i am still stumped.. i have put quite a bit of money into it in the last week. i put a new alternator on, ground and power wires, solenoid, brand new battery, and a brand new starter.. i have repalced everything that there could be a problem with.. i checked my new started by hooking the power wire up to it, grounding it and tirning the key and it spun just perfect. i checked my flywheel and it is good. it is acting like its not getting a ground or something.. well i guess i am off to work on it again.. if anybody has any other ideas tell me and i will go do them

Blind parts replacement is not auto repair *thwack head*

Is there 12v on the small trigger wire for the starter relay when the key is turned to start?

Adrianspeeder

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.