Pirate 4x4 banner

The bronco is being a pos

1K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  fordman1978 
#1 ·
ive been getting everything fixed and ready for new years. i get it running perfect but i still needed to put a new alternator on so i put one on and charged the battery and it wont start at all. there is a sound coming from the solenoid but nothing happens at all! any ideas on whats wrong? i NEED to have it fixed before 3:00 tomorrow

#12 ·
i have the starter pulled out still, grounded and hooked up to the starter wire. i turn the key and nothing happens. i just replaced the solenoid with a brand new one off of my other truck. and you can here it engage when you turn the key. but nada with the starter.. is it the starter? or could it be something else??

#16 ·
if i hook a regular ground to it and turn the key it spins and engages just fine. so i ran to knechts and got a new power wire and ground wire for it. i have it bolted in and i have the power hooked up. then when i was hooking taking out the bolt to put my ground on my ratchet fell (only about 2 feet and the little knob to reverse it off.. so i have no ratchet now!!!) my other tool box was stolen and that had all my craftsmen stuff in it so for xmas my step dad went to harbor freight!! DONT BUY TOOLS FROM THERE THEY SUCK!!!!!! i have already had several things break already. (about 1 tool every job i do)
but now i am kinda screwed i have to use box wrenches now.. that will take a while..

#17 ·
pissed off wheres my dynamite??

i just got done working on it.. i replaced all of the power and ground wires, the solenoid, new alternator, i ran a ground wire to the bottom bolt of the starter. and NOTHING!!! i pulled the starter and set it on my fender and i hooked up the power wire from the solenoid and i hooked the ground up to the negative post on the battery and bolted it to the starter and it worked perfect it spun and engaged just right.. but after bolting it in with the same ground nothing is happening now!! :mad3: i cant figure it out WTF!!! anybody else got any ideas??

#19 ·
i just got done working on it.. i replaced all of the power and ground wires, the solenoid, new alternator, i ran a ground wire to the bottom bolt of the starter. and NOTHING!!!
The starter grounds thru the case (actually, thru the bolts into the bellhousing). Do not run a separate ground. When you go to the bottom bolt, you are bypassing the brushes & throwout solenoid...

#18 ·
Check your engine ground cable. Should be a braided wire at the back of the driver side head that bolts to the body. Or run a good ground (heavy cable) from any good bolt (use one at the front of the block on passenger side) to a solid spot on the frame. Good clean metal grounds.

To test a starter, pull it. Lay on a sheet of metal. Clamp jumper cable A to metal. Clamp other jumper cable (B) to the S terminal. Put A on the negative terminal of your battery. Hold B to positive terminal. Starter should try to climb off the sheet of steel. If it doesn't, it's not good.

To test solenoid, just use a plastic or wood handled screwdriver to arc across the top 2 studs on the front (toward center of engine bay) of the solenoid. If it works, it's the low voltage starter circuit (to key). If it doesn't, it's either high voltage circuit or the solenoid.

#22 · (Edited)
Okay maybe it was said and I missed it but is your battery good? I had the same thing happen in the Sploder and after I replaced the selenoid and all my cables it turned out to be the battery. Even with two rigs trying to jump it, one with a semi-battery there was nothing. New battery cured it though

Edit- It could be shimmed wrong not allowing it to spin, not much experiance there for me, anyone else?

#28 ·
I will give $50 for it. LOL Why dont you try calling me it isnt going to cost you anything. If you are on a half decent phone and you are near the truck I might be able to tell you what is wrong just by listening to it. If not we can go through some quick tests and figure it out. Just make sure you have a spare battery, set of jumper cables, and a volt meter handy (a spare set of hands would be helpful too). It should only take 5 -10 minutes. As long as I am not swamped when you call I dont mind doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.