Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured instead of asking individual questions here and there I'd just start a build thread on Jack Pyle.

The truck is an 89 v3500 C&C that is an ex county truck, my dad bought it 10 years ago with plans to build a dually tow rig with a 46 Chevy cab on it. He is getting older and he has decided that he would never get around to it, he has tons of half started projects.

Here it is where it's been sitting g for the last 10 years.

The reason for deciding to build another fullsize GM is I'm starting to travel out of state for several days of camping and wheeling and my son is getting old enough for him to go along, so that means I need room for my wife, my son, and myself, and be able to carry camping gear and food.

Currently I have a yj, but it's not capable of long road trips (I'm taking 800+ miles) and I can only fit 2 people and all the gear.

So this is where I'm at. The name is Jack Pyle, Jack because it's going to be a jack of all trades, master of none, so there will be a lot of compromises, and Pyle because when I pulled it out of it's resting spot the cab had piles of animal crap in it, and I like Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the plan, I'm planning on running 4-5" of lift and 40" radials, proably Nitto's. The trucks drive train is pretty stout and typical chevy reliable, tbi350 sm465/np205 60/14b with 4.11 gears. It will be shortened to 118"-120" wheelbase, converted to single wheel and add a Detroit/Grizzly to the rear and a Spartan to the front, I'm going to try the 4.11's but I have a feeling I won't like them.

For the suspension I'm keeping it dumb simple, leafs are staying. I was considering a 52" front swap, but I think I talked myself out of it. Now I'm leaning towards tuff country ez rides or zone 4" spring with a zero rate to gain 1.5" wheelbase in the front. For the rear I'm going to pull some leafs out of the 56" springs and do a shackle flip. Not very hi tech but it should work and be reliable.

I'll also build some type of bed with plenty of storage are and the ability to build an exo cage off it to protect the cab and my family if I have an oops.

Oh and most importantly get the dealer installed a/c working and add cruise control. Lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the engine compartment when I pulled it out of the woods, I stole a few peices off of it over the years, so I had to re assemble the throttle body and hook everything back up.

After changing the fuel pump with one I found on the floor board it fired right up with no issues.

But that was after I had my wife vacuum out the engine compartment

But at this point it ran but I had no clutch, the clutch master was froze and I manged to bend it trying to get it to work.

So with my helper and a new slave and master I can now make it move on it's own.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Know that it can move on it's own, I can do a little work to it.

I ordered new front hubs so I can go to single wheel, but one got dropped in shipping, so it's getting sent back today.

So I got one side done and bolted up one of the wheels I have for it with a bald 36" on it.

And for giggles, my son and I drove it around the block laughing the whole time, it has death wobble bad. The drag link is completely shot, not a huge deal I'll be going crossover anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's where it's at now, any sugestions critisim are welcome. This is not going to be a hardcore trail only rig. It needs to be able to do anything within reason and be reliable enough to travel in and get back home.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good so far
Thanks, it will be a slow budget build. I have a half ass goal to have it wheelable but not "done" by next summer, but don't have my hopes up. My son is excited about this truck, I think he sees it as his chance to go out of state camping, he just turned six so I think he's ready for some long weekend trips, and hopefully next summer a trip back to my dad's farm in Missouri.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody have an opinion of JB Custom fabrication twin stick kit for the 205? My factory shifter is missing and I wouldn't mind having 2 low, don't care much for fwd. I could make a set if shifters, but my time is very limited these days, and for under $200 I don't know if I could make something as nice in a reasonable time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No input in the twin stick Kit?

Nothing else has really happened other than collecting more parts. I just put in an order to RuffStuff for a bunch of odds and ends, u-bolts, spring plates, shock tabs, all that kinda stuff along with a tie rod kit since the stock one is bent.

The other single wheel hub is on it's way, hopefully it doesn't get dropped like the last one, and a new sending unit and fuel pump is coming so I can modify a fuel tank/toolbox to use as a fuel tank behind the cab. I also need to bolt together the other beadlocks and bald tires so I can use them as rollers till I pull the trigger on new 40's.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still collecting parts, I know real exciting. All my RuffStuff odds and ends already showed up, they ship super quick, I really wasn't expecting it already.

I also received the other single wheel hub, along with a new fuel pump and sending unit and some other misc.

And after a McGangbang and an ice cream sandwich I ended up with some overkill shocks, a set of 2.5 King smoothies 14" travel and some 16" travel edlebrock xt shocks. The edelbrocks need some work, hopefully I can salvage them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those look like coil buckets?....clue us in?
No I'm not nearly that fancy, I'm using those mounts with there shackle hanger to make my own rear flip kit. I plan to tie them into a winch plate and rear crossmember combo.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have JB's shifter setup. Very nice piece. Although the "lock nuts" dont see to stay tight during my hardcore jackstand wheeling.
I'm trying to decide in their shifters or fab up cable shifters. The cable shifters would give me more foot room for my son, I could mount then on the left side next to my leg.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
I ordered new front hubs so I can go to single wheel, but one got dropped in shipping, so it's getting sent back today.

What happened to it....damage wise?

But that was after I had my wife vacuum out the engine compartment
So with my helper and a new slave and master I can now make it move on it's own.

For some reason.....that doesn't sound quite right........:D

Looks like a good beginning.....keep posting!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like a good beginning.....keep posting!
The damage was on the end of the hub where the locking hub would go, it wasn't round anymore. They did a horrible job of packing it, the hub and rotor were in a giant box with nothing else, no cardboard, bubble wrap or paper. I'm guessing it went for a tumble out of a truck. But I will say RockAuto was easy to deal with, I called them and they sent an email with a prepaid fedex label. I taped the box back up and dropped it of at the local pak n ship. When the label was scanned a day latter I received an email with the tracing number of the new hub.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really haven't had much to update, I'm only lacking front springs, crossover steering, 2wd steering box, and brake lines from being able to get it lifted and shortened.

Only thing that has happened since last update is I had a couple of buddies help me pull the fuel tank I plan to use. I need to get to work on it, the stock tank manged to sweat out over 5 gallons of gas in a week, so now I can't move it around under it's own power without wasting more gas.

Here is the tank

Luck would have it that it is the same depth as the stock tank so I'll reuse the original sending unit. I'm planning on cutting the top out of the original tank to use the stock sending unit. I hope to be able to remove the plastic baffle and reuse it, if not I'll have to make one for the new tank.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I think you should build this truck to suit the comfort of those riding with you, especially if it's your son. The cable shifters may take longer to fab and install, but you'll be happier with yourself for making your son comfortable while bouncing around on trails.
The tank is nice, how many gallons is it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm really leaning towards the cable shifters, after getting all the parts for them it would be about the same cost or slightly cheaper than the twin stick kit.

The tank I figured up could hold 50 gallons, but that's if it's totally full, it's built to have an airspace in it so I'm guessing 40-45 gallons. That's a lot of gas, but at least I won't have to carry a jerry can like I do on the jeep for long trips. Also the toolbox is a nice feature.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing much has happened lately on the truck. Finally got the other single wheel hub on and pulled the gas tank out, which required cutting the exhaust off.

Maybe this weekend I can start to modify the new tank.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 192 Posts