Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finished up my TCase cross member, looks decent enough to me, but I don't know why anyone let me in the same room as a welder. I think we're ready to start test fitting the body.

I tried to keep it as low profile as possible.

Feel free to criticize my welds, for they look like garbage. Any pointers are more than welcome.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
This is what I was referring to. A lot of people use it, so it might work for you. Probably would want to call trailtough to verify for sure. Worth a shot? Unless you just wanna do it your way, in which case I wouldn't blame you.

https://trailtough.com/product/automatic-tail-shaft-adaptor/

This is what you need, it's pretty straight forward.

I'm running one on my 3spd auto.

I have a similar pile of parts I'd like to combine. Except I have 3 pairs of track kick axles and 2 pairs of Sami axles. My idea was to use a strick track kick rear axle and then make another track kick rear into a hybrid front. Rcv will sell you their chromo shaft kit with customer length inner for not much more.

Or, just run the Sami axles :homer::flipoff2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is what you need, it's pretty straight forward.

I'm running one on my 3spd auto.

I have a similar pile of parts I'd like to combine. Except I have 3 pairs of track kick axles and 2 pairs of Sami axles. My idea was to use a strick track kick rear axle and then make another track kick rear into a hybrid front. Rcv will sell you their chromo shaft kit with customer length inner for not much more.

Or, just run the Sami axles :homer::flipoff2:
Thanks, I think that bushing is the way I'm gonna go as soon as I have the cash, gasket set and transmission mount bushing are also on the shopping list.

Gonna run the Sami axles at least till they break, then we'll see where to go from there...I have a pair of Waggy Dana 44s (set aside for my CJ3b) and a spare Dana 18, and some 3 speed standard with a Ford 2.3 adapter that I'm saving for a rainy day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Test fitted the body this week, apparently we had mounted the engine 3 inches too far forward and the Rad wouldn't fit. it took some time to get it moved back, it now fits with the firewall and probably the stock Tracker rad.

Rad wise, my only concern is steering box, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I made up a new transmission crossmember. This one is fairly adjustable if we need to move it again, I won't drill the holes until I know that it's all in the right place.

We also made a few tunnel and modifications to get the auto to fit.

Currently the shopping list is:
- head gasket
- transmission output bushing from TT
- transmission mount bushing

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Output bushing is ordered, all the engine parts are here and installed. The engine should be ready to run mechanically...the electronics are another story...not looking forward to that...

Dad is working on a carbed 302 right beside me...I must say I envy the simplicity.

Hopefully have the fuel tank mounted soon and get the wiring put together while the bro patches up the body enough that it will bolt to the frame...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey nice build, I'm in Alberta too. I just did the Aerio swap on my 87 Sammy during the corona crap. Check out Alberta Suzuki 4x4 owners on facebook if you want to join up. I posted lots of pics on my build. The 2.0 rad fit perfect after I removed that front round tube crossmember. I had already extended the frame to properly hold a bumper and had another round tube in between in front of the original. You have to lose you factory hood latch but you have over 4' clearance to engine for a puller instead of a pusher fan. I used the stock 5 speed during mock up to keep the engine in stock location. I'm using a Sidekick 2wd 5 speed tranny and made a short 4.125" center center intermediate shaft to sammy t case. I'm guessing you had the 2.3 swap tracker on kijiji I either called you or texted about it. I almost bought it minus the tires. Had its first major outing yesterday and the power over my 16v is amazing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm guessing you had the 2.3 swap tracker on kijiji I either called you or texted about it.
Small world, that was me. I think I was still working then, when everything crashed I decided to keep it, I figured the project would keep me out of trouble.

It was working fine, until one of the leafs on my half ton gave out while I was out trying to track down a power steering box...spent the day at one wrecker today looking for parts, probably gonna hit up the other tomorrow to see if I can find a suitable box from a Jap rig, otherwise I'll probably figure an Astro box in there.

Has anyone ever put a Grand Cherokee box in a Sami? It almost looks like it would work, but I couldn't find any info on it...though I was trying to look it up on my phone at the wreckers...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Small world, that was me. I think I was still working then, when everything crashed I decided to keep it, I figured the project would keep me out of trouble.

It was working fine, until one of the leafs on my half ton gave out while I was out trying to track down a power steering box...spent the day at one wrecker today looking for parts, probably gonna hit up the other tomorrow to see if I can find a suitable box from a Jap rig, otherwise I'll probably figure an Astro box in there.

Has anyone ever put a Grand Cherokee box in a Sami? It almost looks like it would work, but I couldn't find any info on it...though I was trying to look it up on my phone at the wreckers...
The sidekick power steering swap is pretty easy only have to drill 2 holes the front hole works as is. I was thinking of using the box off my g body which is the same as the grand cherokee style. That would clear up more space for the rad as it mounts outside of the frame. The 2.0 rad just clears the steering box the way I did it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The sidekick power steering swap is pretty easy only have to drill 2 holes the front hole works as is. I was thinking of using the box off my g body which is the same as the grand cherokee style. That would clear up more space for the rad as it mounts outside of the frame. The 2.0 rad just clears the steering box the way I did it
I picked up a 98 Grand Cherokee box at the wrecker today, its a Saginaw 800 I think, it could be an 808 though, which shouldn't matter. It does mount on the inside of the frame though, there was a land or range rover that looked intriguing

The great thing about Bucks Auto is that they'll give me a credit or let me trade it for another box, I'll probably trade it for a Saginaw 700 (the Astro box) I'm not sure if I can do it without an axle stretch, it seems that's what the jeep guys are saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up a 98 Grand Cherokee box at the wrecker today, its a Saginaw 800 I think, it could be an 808 though, which shouldn't matter. It does mount on the inside of the frame though, there was a land or range rover that looked intriguing

The great thing about Bucks Auto is that they'll give me a credit or let me trade it for another box, I'll probably trade it for a Saginaw 700 (the Astro box) I'm not sure if I can do it without an axle stretch, it seems that's what the jeep guys are saying.

Yeah I screwed that up the g body one does bolt inside the frame. I have a 66 El Camino on my hoist for a power steering swap and should have remembered that lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Got a set of tires for the buggy today, in the ideal size. Free.

They're a little rough, but what kind of monster turns down 33 inch BF Goodrich M/Ts?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts