Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 320 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
:smokin: Thing would look killer with a patina look.
i agree if i had some patina'd sheet metal. The doors are painted with brush on latex house paint. :shaking: Front fenders are new. Bedsides are from a completely different truck.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I kinda miss seeing the old pickup out getting some action but I have no doubt this new build wont disappoint once you get it humping rocks. I'm digging the build.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #305 (Edited)
Been knocking things off the list in preparation for the shakedown run on Friday and for next weeks Jambo.

Rear bumps are mounted. Trimmed the front of the sliders about 3-4" back. Tires shouldnt even get close to contacting them now. Trimmed the front fenders up even more. Wish i could have kept the fender flare up front, but the tires would have destroyed them on the first trail.

Started on the paint. Krylon Rust Tough rattle can blue just like the last one. Ill paint the cab and the top of the doors tonight. Its a good 20ft paint job.

Installed the glove box and door. #thelittlethings Interior is pretty much done.

Waiting on my fire extinguisher mounts and extinguishers to come in so I can get them mounted up on the down bars in the bed. Needs a floor in the bed, drivers bedside, rock lights wired, tail/brake lights wired, tailgate narrowed and fitted, rear bumper of some sorts, winch wired in, fairlead mounted, light bar mounted somewhere, battery disconnect mounted, grill mounted, misc wiring cleanup, change out the starter..........it never ends. Hope to get some/most of this done before next thursday.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #308 (Edited)
Long late night in the shop last night. Bought and installed the new starter. last one tested bad. Installed the lube locker rear diff seal (still need to add fluid). Re-bled the brakes and now i have a nice firm pedal. Finally cut the drivers bed side off the donor bed and got it cut/trimmed/hacked up to fit. The bedsides really complete the look IMO.

I have a long list of little shit i need to get done before i can load it on the trailer tonight.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #318 (Edited)
So as Scott so graciously posted up over the weekend, i took the Squirrel out for a shakedown run at Hidden Falls Adventure Park on Friday for a day run. Picked up Brian and the Raisin and made it to the park around 10. Proceeded to hit a few trails and picked up Scott once he got to the park. Truck worked well with a few issues that i need to address before this weekend. Didnt break anything catastrophic and it went back on the trailer under its own power (always a good thing when on its first trip out). Oh and it didnt catch on fire like the last time.

Some pics:
Loaded up:

Some of the issues that need to be ironed out:
1. It ran hotter than i would have liked it to (around 235). I dont know if this is due to an air pocket still trapped in there somewhere to due to the smaller radiator/fan combo than what i was running last time. More on this later.

2. I guess the arms on the sway bar loosened up causing one side to strip out about 20% of the splines on one arm. The bar is fine, just the aluminum stripped. The rig felt super stable with the sway bar connected, but from the looks of it was limiting my flex in the rear. The front was doing most of it. Im going to leave it off this weekend and see how it feels in comparison.

3. Need to trim the from fenders more as the tires made contact and sliced a few lugs in half.

4. Need to seal off the area where my right leg is near the center console as the exhaust right under there was pretty warm. Its wrapped, but needs some type of barrier and not just open.

Other than those issues, i'd call it a successful shakedown. Had a good time and learned a lot about the rig. The tuned coilovers from Accutune are awesome. This thing floats when bombing down the fire roads. The belly is low at 19" and i did hit it on a few ledges, but it didnt keep me from making it up the obstacle.

More on the overheating issue. Last night i changed out the water pump to another one i had on the shelf. This time around i looped the heater core ports and ran the steam lines back to the radiator. Bled the system and watched it creep up to 215 just at idle. I connected my tablet with the Dash Command App to the OBDII port and saw that the coolant temp was about 190. Thats a 25 degree difference. the gauge is picking up the reading from the rear passenger side head and the PCM is getting the reading from the front of the drivers side head. Which one is right? I still think i have some air trapped in there somewhere so Im going to try to get that out tonight. It has a 160 degree thermostat in it so it shouldnt get anywhere near that at idle. The fan was off.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
It may be a trapped pocket of air. Is there any chance the temp sender is being influenced by your exhaust? Could be a faulty sensor as well. You may want to rig up a mechanical temp sender in the mean time to monitor the operating temps. I may have one in my garage and will check tonight.

3 days till Jambo.....

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
It may be a trapped pocket of air. Is there any chance the temp sender is being influenced by your exhaust? Could be a faulty sensor as well. You may want to rig up a mechanical temp sender in the mean time to monitor the operating temps. I may have one in my garage and will check tonight.

3 days till Jambo.....
Exhaust on the passenger side dumps away from the temp sender so i dont think thats the issue. Im betting its the trapped pocket of air. I will continue to bleed it out and see what happens.

3 days. Lots of shit to do before then.

301 - 320 of 494 Posts