Pirate 4x4 banner

361 - 380 of 426 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Well After tons of online drooling and research I've decided and been convinced that rebuilding 8" would be throwing good money at bad....again and again. Going with rock assault 9 housing with Currie 9" chunk 35 spline arb and 6 lug unit bearing. Should handle all the abuse this rig sees:smokin:. The front will remain for now. I'm actually very impressed with the abuse it can take

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Well After tons of online drooling and research I've decided and been convinced that rebuilding 8" would be throwing good money at bad....again and again. Going with rock assault 9 housing with Currie 9" chunk 35 spline arb and 6 lug unit bearing. Should handle all the abuse this rig sees:smokin:. The front will remain for now. I'm actually very impressed with the abuse it can take
Dang$$$

Why not just 14b outters to save some money?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Dang$$$

Why not just 14b outters to save some money?
What can I say, I'm a sucker for shiny new parts...and honestly never thought about 14 outers. I want off the shelf shafts that are not custom made. Big boy axles are relatively new to me so I'm not quite up to snuff on what all can and can't be done

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
What can I say, I'm a sucker for shiny new parts...and honestly never thought about 14 outers. I want off the shelf shafts that are not custom made. Big boy axles are relatively new to me so I'm not quite up to snuff on what all can and can't be done
https://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=137&idcategory=6

14 Bolt Full Float Axle Spindles - RuffStuff Specialties

To be clear, I have nothing against unit bearings, I looked at doing the same outters on my 60 rear, but it just got costly so quick. Heck the unit bearings alone are ~$400 ea.

Who makes off the shelf double ended shafts?

I ended up doing this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-YA-TD60-35-KIT-Replacement-Differential/dp/B0078U9CKY

Definitely no where near as beefy as full float and chromo shafts, but honestly I've never broke a rear 30 spline shaft, so I think I'll be good. I figure if I do, I might just send one off to Dutchman or something to be copied in 4340.

The one thing that kinda sucks is that I had the same plan as you. I was going to run the Toyota front with the bigger rear, so the axle is 62" wide (widest you can go with that kit anyway) Well now that I've got a 60 front, I'm going to have to run 2" spacers in the rear and still be 3.5" narrower than the front. It's not a huge deal but if I were to drop the money, I'd want a 65-67" wide rear which will be tough to work with a Toyota front.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
So I am in reno for the week and drug the fruggy along. Plan to hit the moon rocks at some point. Any locals plan to be out there this week/weekend that want to wheel and show a fellow pirate around?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
How long are you gonna be around? My rig is down right now but I could probably head out there at some point.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
you can go run the rubicon for a day easy enough.

pretty much anywhere just might be good, NV has a huge amount of public land.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
you can go run the rubicon for a day easy enough.

pretty much anywhere just might be good, NV has a huge amount of public land.
10' of snow might slow you down a little :flipoff2:

Moonrocks is a blast. It's the roughest place on parts ever, it's like 24 grit sand paper.

361 - 380 of 426 Posts