Pirate 4x4 banner

381 - 400 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
And fights, car accidents, fireworks. Never again for me. :laughing:
I went last year and there was a lot of Leo's around. It wasn't too bad. Now before that I went every year from about 06-12. Went from maybe 1000 people to totally insane, like trailers all the way down to Winnemucca. 2012 was the year a dude pulled out a gun and got his face beat in :laughing:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was there one 2010.... I think. That was it for me. Lots of craziness in the desert. Freezing at night, snow. High wind during the day. Wheelin was nice, people, are the reason I never returned.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
nice :grinpimp:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
The 2nd pic is butt crack. It's the back door of moon rocks.

It's fun to watch because it can be really easy to impossible depending on your rig. I've seen $50k+ rigs that can not make it no matter how many times they try. I've also seen a yj with a rear locker and 33s drive right up it.

The rigs that do well are either really narrow or really wide. Something about being in the middle can make it a lot harder.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
well, after about a year after the accident and looking at a fucked up crawler in the shop it was time to rebuild. What better time than now while on coronacation.

I couldn't get myself to rebuild another Toyota rear so I went with the axle I've been wanting to build for years. Ruffstuff 9 with 60 outers. Full float 35 spline with competition arb. Housing was originally in a coil sprung tj. Strilped that garbage off and here's where I am now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Couple pics post accident. Mad the mistake of letting someone else drive it. They hit a tree with the front passenger wheel. It ripped the link mount off the frame. When that happened it sent the high pinion diff through my oil pan. Then once the driveshaft compressed all the way it ripped the tcase and bellhousing apart. If that wasn't enough the back of the rig spun around and the rear tire hit the tree also destroying the rear housing as well. Both passenger side stazworks wheels were destroyed. Was a tough pill to swallow and a hard lesson learned. Almost gave it up and parted the rig but couldn't do it. Wife knows how important this hobby is to me and encouraged me to rebuild.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Couple more. I had spare tcase shit so managed to get those back together at no cost. Sourced a new bellhousing off offer up for 125$. Got a new oil pan coming along with 9" 5:29 gears for the rear. Scored arb compressor from moonshine swap meet. So short list of things to do are as follows
-finish housing fab work
-install arb compressor and accessories
-run a second brake line to the rear now that I have a selectable and can have true turn brakes/good front digs
-setup 3rd with new gears
-re instal trans tcase and rear disco
-last but not least get my wheels fixed. Stazworks said he could cut the center plates out of the outer wheel half and weld them to a new wheel. Dude was really awesome on the phone and I need to get those shipped to him. The wheels were the biggest blow to me because I have a ton of time invested in them and they would be really hard to replace for what I have in them

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
:eek: :eek:

well....damn!

um, congrats on finally getting a blingy rear axle though :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #396 (Edited)
New bellhousing on and the engine and tcases are back in place. Lost one of the detent balls in the disconnect and replaced with an airsoft pellet lol. Then me and the boy broke out the crawlers. Been a long time. Big step forward today in the right direction

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
I straightened out the old dust cover for the bottom of the w59 that got mangled. I originally purchased this from Toyota and it wasn't cheap so I was determined to re use it. Got it pretty close back to original only to hold it up to the new bell and realized its not the same bellhousing as I had before? I didn't even know there was different w59 bellhlusongs but oh well. Whipped up a new one put of aluminum. Good as new

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #399 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Switched gears a little as I wait on axle parts. Moved on to arb stuff. Could not fit the compressor anywhere in the engine bay so it needed to live next to the rear seat

Attachments

381 - 400 of 426 Posts