Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
So did you just get a regular Arb for the rear?

My buddy who basically won't run anything but an ARB had a Detroit in his 9", apparently they have issues since they are so small. Maybe something has changed?

Rear Arb is awesome though. I loved being able to pivot of rocks front dig like. Also works well to unlock on side hills in snow.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #402 (Edited)
So did you just get a regular Arb for the rear?

My buddy who basically won't run anything but an ARB had a Detroit in his 9", apparently they have issues since they are so small. Maybe something has changed?

Rear Arb is awesome though. I loved being able to pivot of rocks front dig like. Also works well to unlock on side hills in snow.
It is the 35 spline competition arb. Supposed to be the shizz Definitely excited to have selectable in the rear now, get to run another brake line back there and have way better front digs now! Lots of benefits of being selectable in the rear. Fingers crossed for reliability though. I'd have to eat serious crow if mine fucks up on the trail after all the shit I talk to my buddies with arbs

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
It is the 35 spline competition arb. Supposed to be the shizz Definitely excited to have selectable in the rear now, get to run another brake line back there and have way better front digs now! Lots of benefits of being selectable in the rear. Fingers crossed for reliability though. I'd have to eat serious crow if mine fucks up on the trail after all the shit I talk to my buddies with arbs
Competition as in it uses air to unlock? Or just beefier parts?

I never got the chance to run cutting brakes, but just just leaving the rear open on the trail and letting one tire pivot on rocks worked pretty well. Cutting brakes would have been even better.

The whole thing where people who can't afford arb's or are to dumb to run the wiring and air lines cleanly and like to talk shit on air lockers is pretty dumb. I said in another thread, if you can't keep 90 psi of air in a line how do you keep 1800 psi of brake fluid in the system? Fuel lines? Trans lines? Ect.

I even had the fittings to just bypass everything and hook a male quick connector to the diff and use my regular on board air to lock it if everything really got fucked up.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Competition as in it uses air to unlock? Or just beefier parts?
NEW TECHNOLOGY
Among the many new design features is an integrated ring gear bolt locking system engineered to prevent the backing out of Ford 9” ‘Trac-Loc’ bolts.

Fully reusable and able to resist the high torque loads applied to bolt removal, the locking tabs are designed for disassembly and reassembly for fast pit work on ring gear swaps compared to all other bolt locking systems.

Key to the design is the ability to oppose them adverse effects of axle shaft eccentricity caused by typical steering joints, thereby overcoming a common problem with front applications where the differential is offset too far toward one wheel.

Achieving new levels of load, wear and impact resistance, the RD99CE case is 290% stronger overall compared to standard lockers. Designed with deeper locking engagement, the RD99CE ensures locking functionality is retained even after sustaining significant clutch gear tooth damage from locking under throttle.

Engineered with improved internal lubrication, the RD99CE Air Locker also caters for the use of load bolts (sometimes known as pegging).

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
NEW TECHNOLOGY
Among the many new design features is an integrated ring gear bolt locking system engineered to prevent the backing out of Ford 9” ‘Trac-Loc’ bolts.

Fully reusable and able to resist the high torque loads applied to bolt removal, the locking tabs are designed for disassembly and reassembly for fast pit work on ring gear swaps compared to all other bolt locking systems.

Key to the design is the ability to oppose them adverse effects of axle shaft eccentricity caused by typical steering joints, thereby overcoming a common problem with front applications where the differential is offset too far toward one wheel.

Achieving new levels of load, wear and impact resistance, the RD99CE case is 290% stronger overall compared to standard lockers. Designed with deeper locking engagement, the RD99CE ensures locking functionality is retained even after sustaining significant clutch gear tooth damage from locking under throttle.

Engineered with improved internal lubrication, the RD99CE Air Locker also caters for the use of load bolts (sometimes known as pegging).
they also came out with one(rd249ce) for big bearing 3rds for 40 spline shafts :grinpimp:

https://gearworksinc.com/product/arb-rd249ce-40-spline-air-locker/

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Wow, I haven't been here in a bit--looking good. On my truggy I ran dual real lines and was not impressed. The brakes in it were not the best, but now I run a single with dual pedals and I have zero issues holding the rear..

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Wow, I haven't been here in a bit--looking good. On my truggy I ran dual real lines and was not impressed. The brakes in it were not the best, but now I run a single with dual pedals and I have zero issues holding the rear..
If I had 4 feet i would consider that :laughing: still have a manual transmission. What master cylinder did you have? And when you say not the best, are you talking im general or when you tried locking one wheel?

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
What if you did like the drift guys and used a 2nd pair of calipers and completely separate system for the cutting brakes?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
If I had 4 feet i would consider that :laughing: still have a manual transmission. What master cylinder did you have? And when you say not the best, are you talking im general or when you tried locking one wheel?
Dual wilwoods. Forget the series but ya I could barely lock the rear tires on the old rig...

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Day started out good and ended really shitty.. was talking on the last tab for the rear roof panels and lit my front seat up. I have about 4 extinguishers scattered throughout the shop. Closest one to me was one that was on the wall when I bought my place. Come to find out it was from 1972! Did the job thankfully cause I was seconds away from losing my truck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
I had a big fire blanket over the rear seat. It was 2 minutes after I was done welding that I saw the fire. Spark mustve started smolder the front cloth seat. Shitty cause i got these super cheap on ebay about 6 years ago. Garage pro. Can't find them anymore. Might just try to find a seat cover for it

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
wow! :eek: good catch that you had an extinguisher even around.

i set a truck on fire once, fortunately UPS was delivering a package to my neighbor seconds after flames started and he ran over with the one from his truck to help me out :laughing: :(

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Oh mna--that was damn lucky and could have turned out SOOOO much worse..

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
  1. Well, one good thing came from the fire. Plan to get the 3rd setup and done this weekend. 7 weeks off work was good for progress lol. Been back for 2 weeks now so things naturally slowed down..as many of you known Im sure. Shop time is a balance when you're married and have kids. My kids will hang out with me and help in the shop and thats a total blast. But it Seems like it never fails though. I put in 2 hours im the shop, the misses will certainly come up with a project for her that takes 8 hours the next day :ROFLMAO: aiming to get this thing ready for naches on the 4th of July if its open.

401 - 420 of 424 Posts