Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a year and a half ago, I decided to stop futzing around and actually get to work building myself a bonafide trail rig.

Now, I've always prided myself on doing things a little differently than most, and by not jumping on the bandwagon. Against my better judgment, I decided to to hop aboard anyway....nonetheless determined to do it my way.

After locating a beautiful 97 Jeep TJ, that was obviously a victim of the infamous Hurricane Katrina, I got to work on my masterpiece. Now that I am 99% complete, I decided to post a few pics of the build for others to enjoy.

Note: Pics are not in any particular order, and will be posted at random.

The finished product:

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Chopped off rear portion of frame and rebuilt it using 2x4 tubing.

Wheelbase stretched 16" in the rear.

Towers torched and re-welded slightly forward for a 6" front stretch.

Installed a MODIFIED Superlift Long Arm kit to achieve a total wheelbase of 116".

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
42" TSL's with re-centered H1 wheels.

Dana 60 front with chromoly 35 spline shafts, 5.38 gears, Detroit Locker.

Dana 60 rear with 35 spline shafts, 5.38 gears, and a spool.

Attachments

·
Ford Bigot
4,098 Posts
Sweet build. I was going to comment on the triangulation of the links, but then I spotted the finish pic. The track bar mounts are bit hard to spot in the build-up, but I can see that you have them now.

What are the Specs on this thing?

I'll throw a guess: 5.0HO, T-18, Atlas, D70, D60?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stock 1995 Mustang 5.0 HO

Mustang AODE transmission converted to 4wd with 4R70W gear set, Transgo shift kit, and a stock F-150 torque converter. Freshly rebuilt.

Modified Novak motor mounts.

Cheap summit block hugger headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Torched off front crossmember tube. Replaced with 2x4 box. Frame sandblasted and painted.

Rolled on bedliner. ($45.00 from Walmart)

Engine accessories and K&N filter installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Front tube work finished.

Hydraulic steering using a Surplus Center cylinder.

Blue Torch diff cover.

Cage welded and powder coated silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Autometer gauges.
Grant steering wheel.
B&M Shifter.
EMPI Race Trim seats.

Mandatory hourmeter.

Ammo can console with recessed cupholders.

And last but not least, my spindle boring tool that I designed and had the local machine shop build.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
so... is this build done your way because you live in Louisiana and DIDN'T put rockwells under it? :flipoff2:

looks like a comp cut, streached TJ on 42" interco products to me...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so... is this build done your way because you live in Louisiana and DIDN'T put rockwells under it? :flipoff2:

looks like a comp cut, streached TJ on 42" interco products to me...
I knew someone would ask that, and it's fitting that it comes from someone with a user title called Shit Talker. :flipoff2:

As mentioned earlier, I DID jump on the TJ bandwagon, but I used what I had, what I could get cheap, and most of all, I used stuff that most other people wouldn't dare use..........like a damn Ford small block for crying out loud! Who the hell uses those anymore?! :D

1 - 20 of 358 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.