Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I would throw something together as this is an ongoing project. I have learned so much from this site

I bought a 1 ton Vortec TJ in 08. It was supposed to be a turnkey ready to wheel rig. The price was right so I pounced. But upon arrival I quickly found that the Jeep was far from ready to wheel. It had “0” miles on it since it was built and other than bumpers was 100% complete…..but far from right. The price was still right so I drug it home anyway.

97 Sport
35 spline narrowed 60’s
2001 Chevy 5.3 Vortec & 4l60e
5.0 Atlas II
Sway a way airshocks
36’s and H1

It was un-drivable, truly un-drivable. It was all over the road at anything over 5 mph and couldn’t be wheeled because EVERYTHING hit. Drive shafts hit the exhaust (front and rear). Sway bar hit the CA’s. Engine throwing error codes. I know there was other issues¸ I am sure I have mentally blocked out many of them.

Basically I bought a SOLID uncut TJ frame and body that had a 5.3/4L60E/Atlas in it that was turn key and came with a set of decent 60’s. but suspension wise needed to be redone.

We decided we were going to go to EJS 09. Soooo I needed to rush and get this thing done. I had a buddy come over to try and knock out some things for me but ultimately schedules clashed and other people in the group needed work so I was back to working on it in my limited spare time.

Picked up the following parts.
2 ¼” 3/8” wall DOM for lowers
2” ¼” wall DOM for uppers
1 ¼” Heim Joints
Brackets and Tabs from Clayton’s, Ruff Stuff, and Ballistic
PSC double ended ram
Genright Crusher Corners
Genright Sliders
Genright Fenders
RCI Fuel Cell
KORE Ring
Front Antirock
Beadlocked H2’s
42” Iroks
CJ Tailgate

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I threw these parts at the Jeep and finished it the morning we were leaving for EJS. Wow…. Big mistake. Ran out of time and to make the deadline it ended up too tall. First time to Wheel in Moab so we went with the redrock guys. If we ever go back we will not go that route, but for our first trip to Moab it was a good way to get our feet wet.

Wheeled it and although it was horribly un-stable it made it through the week.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lowered it down several inches when we got back.

I ran the rear air shocks through the tub and connected them to the cage. Basically have it as low as I can w/o cutting out the cross members. I am not afraid to, at this time I just don’t see the need to.

I adjusted the front as low as I could and wheeled it this was all summer long.

Much more stable, road and hwy approved.

At this point the jeep now has a couple hundred miles on it. I enlisted the help of a buddy of mine who specializes in turbo LSX setups. Had him redo my fuel system. We changed the RCI to a dual bottom feed and eliminated the Stock Pump, replaced it with a warblo.

Wheeled it some more.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Than came time to address the front. I was basically sitting at 2” of up travel but about 4-5” too tall.

I cut out the old shock hoops, welded in taller ones.

Cut out grill support and replaced with rectangle stock (not sure how well this is going to hold up w/o deflection, if its an issue, i’ll cut it out and re design later)

W/O that support there my steering ram tucks up nice in that little space between

How it sits now

I still need to notch the frame for the steering arms and re-install some VERY necessary bump stops.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you get a pretty good deal?

That's probably debatable. At the end of the day, it would have been cheaper to buy one already built (and beat). But i like the idea of having soo many "new" parts on my rig. It cost what it cost, but i tried to buy right and spent a few months buying parts. Parts like the steering i bought second hand but newer used. I sold parts to make back some $$. I tried to control cost the best I could.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Definitely a nice jeep. I remember it being for sale before you bought it. Looks MUCH better now though.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely a nice jeep. I remember it being for sale before you bought it. Looks MUCH better now though.
Thanks, i had a vision when i fist saw it of what it "should" look like. I posted it here for sale a few months back.......but i really don't want to start over.

I am thinking about building a "budget" rockwelled yj or tj just to fulfill my desire for something different.

·
Registered
382 Posts
who did the H2 beadlocks? Is there a DIY kit somewhere?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
There is a DIY kit out there for H2 bead locks. I believe they are aluminum weld on rings with either steel or aluminum outer ring. I don't remember who makes them tho.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Cut out grill support and replaced with rectangle stock (not sure how well this is going to hold up w/o deflection, if its an issue, i’ll cut it out and re design later)

W/O that support there my steering ram tucks up nice in that little space between
Looks great ... My ram ended up behind the axle so the truss would tuck up inbetween the front center body mount and the front of the stock motor. Great job :smokin:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
There is a DIY kit out there for H2 bead locks. I believe they are aluminum weld on rings with either steel or aluminum outer ring. I don't remember who makes them tho.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447302&page=7

Check page 7 Ballistic Fab has some at least back in 06. But this thread may help those out who want to beadlock H2's.
several companies tried going a DIY route, but in the end it was decided that because the H2s are actually an alloy, they weren't holding like they should having aluminum inner rings welded on.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BLACK RAM CTD who did the H2 beadlocks? Is there a DIY kit somewhere?
I'm not sure if anybody is still making kits or not, I actually bought these from a dude in
Des Moines,IA. He had purchased a couple "kits" and they contunued to crack. This guy had a 1/2" thick peice of aluminum cut, drilled and tigged in. The otter rings are Ballistic Fab and are steel. The only thing i can truly take credit for is changing out the rock rashed rings and 40" iroks for new rings and the 42's.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Damn, you've been busy out there in the woods. :smokin:

Last minute one tons before EJS wasn't the smartest idea I guess. :homer:

1 - 20 of 194 Posts