Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing in some snow and ice that was left over from our last storm (graced us with 36"...:mad: ) and I got hung up in some hard ice. Got to bouncing around and snap....
Now....this sounds kinda easy, but there is a rub...

The lockout is fine....splines intact.
The front output is fine...driveshaft still delivers forward rotations.
The axles even turn with the driveshaft input...until they are pulling the entire load. Then they hunt and choose a little traction and then slip around hunting for more..

I'm envisioning splines gone bad inside the carrier. If I were a betting man, (and the way it's been going lately, coupled with the fact that I have a spare axle for that side sitting here) I'm gonna say that the spider splines are toast.

In your experiences of a a head-to-head, which set of splines usually wins?

Now, if I have to replace the spiders....I get to thinking.
Since the front axle has lockouts....can't I install a spool device and when I run on snow, ice and mud just lock both wheels in. On snowy highways where there is a bit more traction and a bit more chance to affect steering input, I can unlock only one hub...and aside from having to leave the cab to do it, I select the tire(s) that apply traction in the front.

Anybody done this? Anybody have reasons that it won't work?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The axleshaft is a softer metal than the spider gear. If they stripped, it will be stripped off the axle.

As for the hubs, sounds like a lot of work to use your 4WD.
Throw an ARB in there and lock it from inside.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4x4junkie said:
The axleshaft is a softer metal than the spider gear. If they stripped, it will be stripped off the axle.

As for the hubs, sounds like a lot of work to use your 4WD.
Throw an ARB in there and lock it from inside.
That's what I was hoping....but I didn't know for sure. I know that some years that were stock, the spiders were a problem....to the point that Ford had to use even harder metal in later applications.

As for the ARB...
While it is VERY nice, and VERY much worth what they are asking for it....
I'm just not that lazy. I like to keep things simple as well...
Just less to break, or chunk the air tube off of, I guess.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lincolnloc said:
Bummer! Breakage without heavy wheeling, that sucks!!

Yeah....but I don't know the history of the shafts...
The guy I bought the axle from had 8 lug hubs and rotors on it.
No telling what he put these shafts thru....
Plus, I think he was running major horsepower thru them....

So...I've got a set of extra axles here from my old D44, and they look fine. I'll slip 'em in and see what we get.
I'm probably going to spring for a set of super alloy shafts and a detroit in the fall, anyway.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You may want to change the diff oil. I had one of the old crappy ARBs blow up and when it chewed the splines on the shaft, it left a lot of metal shavings in there.

Glueing (RTV) a decent sized magnet inside the diff cover should help collect anything left in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4x4junkie said:
You may want to change the diff oil. I had one of the old crappy ARBs blow up and when it chewed the splines on the shaft, it left a lot of metal shavings in there.

Glueing (RTV) a decent sized magnet inside the diff cover should help collect anything left in there.

Thanks. I was definitely going to change the 90 weight...but I like the magnet idea. ;)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
That carnage sounds awfully familiar. I snapped the short side shaft in my original EB D30. Once I replaced the shaft, I thought I was done with it. But then I began to hear this horrible popping and snapping noise from the front end. Occasionally it would lock up like a spool, that is until I actually needed it to be one and it wouldn't provide any drive to the front. Back in '69, the trashlock was a dealer installed option and that's what this diff was. It turns out that, when the axle shaft let go, the driveline shock broke a couple of teeth off of the spider gears. Then the diff began to munch up what was remaining of those gears. When I finally got around to pulling the diff cover, a bunch of loose teeth dropped out. The side gears looked fine!

My guess is that it might have been a spider gear that let go. I doubt that it is a spline problem.

Tom

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yellowbronco said:
That carnage sounds awfully familiar. I snapped the short side shaft in my original EB D30. Once I replaced the shaft, I thought I was done with it. But then I began to hear this horrible popping and snapping noise from the front end. Occasionally it would lock up like a spool, that is until I actually needed it to be one and it wouldn't provide any drive to the front. Back in '69, the trashlock was a dealer installed option and that's what this diff was. It turns out that, when the axle shaft let go, the driveline shock broke a couple of teeth off of the spider gears. Then the diff began to munch up what was remaining of those gears. When I finally got around to pulling the diff cover, a bunch of loose teeth dropped out. The side gears looked fine!

My guess is that it might have been a spider gear that let go. I doubt that it is a spline problem.

Tom
Thanks, Tom.
I appreciate the feedback on possible things to look out for....

I'll be pulling it apart tomorrow (first 55 degree day in 6 months)
and I'll look at the splines on the axle to see if they look distorted or worn. If they don't, I'll look into the carrier.

If it is the spiders.....that's just another reason to replace the carrier with a Posi- trac unit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah spider gears strip out all the time.
don't rule out a broken stub though.
looks like this

ps. if i got to work on my junk in 50 degree weather, i would be wearing shorts and a t :flipoff2:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
built4wheelin said:
yeah spider gears strip out all the time.
don't rule out a broken stub though.
looks like this

ps. if i got to work on my junk in 50 degree weather, i would be wearing shorts and a t :flipoff2:

But....but.....
Today it was 28* out!!
Your pics are giving me that willies feeling all over.
Man....I just want to plug and play. I didn't want to have to pull it ALL apart.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
DILLINGER said:

I'm probably going to spring for a set of super alloy shafts and a detroit in the fall, anyway.

The ARB isn't that much of a pian to take care of, you would be suprised at what you think is complicated. As long as the install is good you will never have any problems. I have only had one problem with mine in 5 years and it was my fault for having the line too close to the exhaust. Also, if you have a detroit in the front end on snowy roads you will have a hard time with the steering, as with your earlier idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts