Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introducing the Malvado Grande, #1
The chassis was produced by a talented local tube bender, Ryan at Wicked Fabrication (AKA - 71RCKCRZR RYAN). Ryan has a really nice eye for lines without sacrificing for strength, and it shows, thanks again Ryan.
I've been eyeing some chassis for a while now and Ryan posted up for the release of the Malvado with expectations of a larger 4 seater. I loved the lines so much I didn't wait for the 4 seater to be done.
That was kind of nice because I got to watch the creativeness evolve. The only suggestion I had was for the front door bar to sweep down a little and allow me to get my fat belly in it.
Here's the result;

All the lines show where the company name comes from, WICKED!;

My goals and specs will change as I throw more work into it, this is just the beginning.
As of right now the specs are as follows;
Chevy TBI 350ci
TH400VP (VP = Variable Pitch converter or a Poorman's 6 speed)
Dana 300 with HD outputs and 4.1
Chevy Dana 60 front
Dodge Dana 70 steering rear (open knuckle w/60 outters)
Gear ratios have not been decided yet, between 5.13 - 6.17.
42" IROKs
Wheelbase between 121"- 125"
Double Tri 4 links
18" SAW air shocks
Full hydro steering

You get the jist of it.
I will build it to be a 4 seater with the option of pulling the rear seats and dropping in a cargo box.
I have not named it with anything more personalized yet but I plan on it.
Actually, I have named it, "Rock Octopus", Roc Oc for short. I named it but wanted to make sure no one else was using the name, now it's official, as of 09-27-05.
This will not be a quick build, I expect 12 to 18 months, work is getting slow and other things are more important.
Let's walk through a couple of weeks;
I got the chassis home and unloaded with the help of Flatty (thanks Dima), both Flatty and I were able to walk it off the trailer and into the garage. It's not very heavy but don't know the weight.
I made a dolly to simulate ride height, plus or minus 1". This should be rolling height but we all know how that works.

The dolly is sweet as hell, it was intended to be my welding table but it makes a nice dolly for now.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One day last week I'm sitting in the garage thinking how nice it would be to have one of those plastic dumbie engines to mock up the engine location. I look at my engine (Thanks Georg) sitting on the engine stand and notice, it's damn close to the right height on the stand. Sure as shit it's perfect. So I throw the whole stand and engine in the dolly, maybe it's just dumb luck.

The engine stand sags a bit from the weight (cheapo stand) but whatever's clever.

It works for me.
I want the engine as far back as I can get it, up to the point where I could squeeze the distributor past the dash bar.

I made some motor mounts, not sure if the frame side ones need to beefier.

Lined up the engine with the TH400 (2wd for now) final mount fabs.

And tacked her in;

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought I'd play with the TIG..........I suck right now but it's slowly coming back.

TIG'd the mounts up, MIG'd the frame side mounts in;

When I was done with the mounts the crank centerline is off center by 1/16" and the TH400 tailshaft is off by 1/4", I could live with that.

End result of engine placement, the plumb hangs from the front side of the dash bar.

To finish weld the frame mounts I made a little prop jobber to get at the underside welds. That allowed me to do this, Swaeet!!!

That leaves me at today, waiting for money, parts and time. Just playing around mocking goodies into the chassis, serp belt stuff, air cleaner for fitment and seat for vroom-vroom time.

Is it starting to look like a rig yet?

Look at all the room ahead of the engine, lowrider.......get a little lower.

Once I have the rear axle and the transfer case in I get to work on the subframe drops, link mounts and links.
This is either gonna be fun or it's gonna hurt.......I don't care which.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
you need a cooler air cleaner mang....it need to be thru the hood a bunch.. :flipoff2:

for the tech..tou might need to make the frame side of the motor mount a tad beefier....unless you are ganna run a mid plate. that would be sic....

im collecting parts for mine...not sure if its ganna be a 2 seater or 4 seater. hmmmmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
damnit wrong pic,,,ill get one thru the hood..

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Ryans fab is silly fawking wack! I love how he does the windshields, gives the ride a personafied feel, kinda gorillaish.
Its really scary, I may not be able to resist the brainstorming, and have to buy one of his frames when I go the buggy route.

Good luck Doug, and awesome on the bender time Ryan.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Damn, I didn't know you had that much space in your garage.... :smokin: your lucky.
My brother and I should drop by sometime, he's only a couple blocks away. We're both rebuilding our eb's and I can at least use some idea's.
I wish I had that much space in front of the engine.....perfect for a turbo setup to get to and from the trails in Jv faster. :D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Fawkin' sick. I love how the lines flow throughout the chassis.

JeepinDoug said:
The only suggestion I had was for the front door bar to sweep down a little and allow me to get my fat belly in it.
I'll trade being 6'9" tall for fat belly any day. :(

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Looks great Doug!

What's the plan for all that space in front of the engine?

Looking forward to watching the progress - I especially like the idea of removable rear seats - a mini-van buggy!

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
BillaVista said:
a mini-van buggy!

:laughing: the best mall crrawler compliment ever! :laughing:

i'm glad you finally started the build up thread douggie. i can come over next wednesday night and give you a hand. quitting my job in 3 weeks so i won't be in the area much anymore, but i'll be more than happy to help out when i can. looking good so far! :)

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ryan, yup that air cleaner is a little hokie, just on there for the effect, lol. I'm not sure what I'll do for the frame side mounts, maybe both a long gusset going up the shock hoop and an engine cross member will tie it in better. I'd like the mid plate but I have no clue what it entails, a flexplate spacer maybe? I may have an extra Dana70B steering housing for sale cheap, I'll tell you more when I know more.

Bent70, You brother is Darren, (I can't remember his name)? Good guy, we occasionally BS in my garage. Wednesday nights after work are the standard "WrenchFest" nights, you're welcome, throw something in the bender for the EBs. Atleast for the next few weeks it'll be more of a "thinking tank" than working. Waiting for crucial parts.

Nightcrawler, Not when your face turns red just tying your shoes, lol. I'm 5'11 and with the seat mounted as low as possible I could still a helmet comfortably. For your height I'm sure Ryan get it a little taller.

BillaVista, mini-van.....nice!! Thanks. I'm not sure about all the room up front yet. I'll probably need to modify one frame rail to clear the front diff and have the frame rails 4"-5" off the axle tubes. I'd like to have the area above the axle freed up for the cylinder also. The radiator will be infront of the axle w ith elect fan(s) and a winch up the very front. It's so early in the game it's just too hard for me to have all the details planned out. This is my first buggy and I want to stay mildly 10 steps ahead with room for change.

Georg, Hopefully I'll have the Novak kit before you take off, I'd like to have you there to make sure I'm not putting the sprag in backwards and keep a watchful eye. Yeah, lets start the Wednesday night WrenchFests next week. I gots the BBQ and beer, you got the futon and 47" widescreen......with dialup intraweb in the same room, oh yeah and the pool table, lol.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
So Wed it is at Doug's place. I need the ifx, and I will be in the city too.

That chassis is super sick cool... I will be getting 2 2-seaters as soon as I get back from the honeymoon. Talk about some nice work.

DIma

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
big fan of the look of that chassis, everthing else ive seen lately is boring compared to it. somebody get a hood and some tires on it so i can really drool

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Nice look'n chassis Doug!
I was going to ask if you were going to put an upward bend in the main rails in front of the engine in order to make room for the axle and keep it low but I saw that you have already been thinking about that very same thing. LOL.
I saw what wheelbase you are shooting for, then your engine placement and instantly thought, that front axle could be ALL the way in front of that V8, nice.
Lowriders rock. :smokin: Have FUN!

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Shell. I was checking out the frame rail to diff clearance tonight. The Chevy front 60's spring pad will be right under the rail. Obviously it's about 2" higher than the axle tube.
I figure I have a couple of options here,
Modify the one frame rail for clearance or cut down the spring pad on the chunk and shoot for 1" higher ride height.
I'll go through all the motions first to keep it low, safely cut the pad down and check it.

Didn't do much tonight, it's been a long hot week at work.
I did make some long gussets for the engine mounts (frame sides) and will be welding it, (TIG- I need as much practice as I could get) on Sunday.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flatty said:
So Wed it is at Doug's place. I need the ifx, and I will be in the city too.

That chassis is super sick cool... I will be getting 2 2-seaters as soon as I get back from the honeymoon. Talk about some nice work.

DIma
Dima, I don't have a kegerator :flipoff2: , sorry bro. I'll have some pop on ice though.

1 - 20 of 588 Posts