Pirate 4x4 banner

441 - 453 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
Awesome build!

One question though, do you ever get hassled by the cops for the tires sticking out so far?...
Not once. Honestly, there are so many JK's (And now JL's) running around with more tire sticking out that I am far from the worst offender. Plus IL don't care. So we at least have one thing going for us in this state :laughing:

Probably also helps that I'm a wee bit past the "Punk Kid" stage of life, so I tend to get more waves than tickets from cops when I run around town these days :D

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
I think the colormatched bumper and sliders keep it relatively low-key, too. That's part of the reason I'm still rocking my stock front bumper on my rig, keep the bed rather than go flatbed when I shortened it, and decided to do an internal cage rather than an exo.

I digress. Looks like the rig is doing awesome. If you're interested in making the longer trip to Badlands on March 7, we'll be there with @Bray_D , @Grohe , and some other peeps. Much smaller group than when I wheeled with you at Flat Nasty 2 years ago.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
I think the colormatched bumper and sliders keep it relatively low-key, too. That's part of the reason I'm still rocking my stock front bumper on my rig, keep the bed rather than go flatbed when I shortened it, and decided to do an internal cage rather than an exo.
It doesn't hurt to try to make it look a bit more low key, but honestly, the thing stands out as much as the exo'd ranger ever did :laughing:. But to your point, that is a big part of the reason I am keeping the rear bumper on there as it is, and tried to make the front bumper look "Stock-ish". Back when the build started I really tried to make the front bumper cover slip over a metal sub structure to make it look more stock-ish, but it just wasn't working out for me.

I think biggest part of not being hassled is just not driving like a jackass! But that probably comes with age a bit. I got alot more police attention when I was young banging around town in my cars that I ever have in any of my wheelers.

...I digress. Looks like the rig is doing awesome. If you're interested in making the longer trip to Badlands on March 7, we'll be there with @Bray_D , @Grohe , and some other peeps. Much smaller group than when I wheeled with you at Flat Nasty 2 years ago.
I'd love to get back out to that park and wheel with you guys again! I don't think I can swing that trip right now though as March has gotten very busy for us this year. However, right now that weekend is the only weekend we aren't traveling somewhere so there is a remote chance I can swing that. I'll let you know if I can!

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
I think biggest part of not being hassled is just not driving like a jackass! But that probably comes with age a bit. I got alot more police attention when I was young banging around town in my cars that I ever have in any of my wheelers.
I agree! I haven't been hassled in my truck for a long time, myself.

I'd love to get back out to that park and wheel with you guys again! I don't think I can swing that trip right now though as March has gotten very busy for us this year. However, right now that weekend is the only weekend we aren't traveling somewhere so there is a remote chance I can swing that. I'll let you know if I can!
Sounds good, just keep me posted. If the weather isn't awful, I may try and camp out one of the two nights. If it's nasty, I'll probably just do a day trip.

If you can't come, that's my and Bray's "local" (3h) park, so anytime you wanna go back, let me know and I'll likely be able to make it happen.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
So long old friend...

Well I was kind of hoping this day wouldn’t come but……

…. there she goes.

Over the past 4 years since it was built, it saw, 11 Off Road trips, 3 trips to Colorado and Utah, and countless weekend trips exploring various back roads in IL and MO. But it was time for it to go for multiple reasons, none of which were the trucks fault. We’ll just chalk those reasons to “Being an adult”. While I hope to not be done playing off road, it’ll be several months before I can even think about starting another build(s). And it feels dang weird to not have a wheeling rig in the fleet for the first time in 14 years.

“Adulting” isn’t always fun, and this was one of the harder automotive decisions I’ve had to make in a while. But that’s life.

Typically when I sell a rig, I like to do a little recap of what worked and what didn’t, but there isn’t much to say on the negative side other than the fuel mileage sucked. But it was a big heavy rig that had a small block spinning at 2,600 rpm on the highway so that isn’t really surprising. Overall, the thing really just worked in all the situations I asked it too while conveying our family in comfort to our various adventures.

The biggest hang up I ran into was the manual swap. Knowing what I know now, my advice to anyone wanting to swap in a manual to one of these is to just plan on paying someone to reflash the ECU for you. I wasted too much time trying to chase that mystery misfire that was solved with a tune removing the automatic trans parameters.

So if you see this thing running around the WI, northern IL area, give the new owner a wave and snap a photo for me.

Onto the next adventure…

·
P.B.A.
4,321 Posts
Sorry to see this go. I always appreciated the tech that came with your threads. I’ve been down a wheeler for past twelve months for similar reasons.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
Dang I'm also sad to see this day come, but I am glad I got to wheel with you and this rig in-person once (albeit briefly).

I don't suppose there is a chance the new owner will post in this thread if he plans to change anything?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I see why he bought it. Clearly he has a thing for ford SUVs..

One chapter ends, another one will start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
dang. :(

Hope you find something new soon.
Thanks, It'll be a bit though. Shooting to start shopping in November of this year if things work out like I hope they will. My family and I enjoy this hobby enough that I doubt we'll stay out of it for more than a year. While we take a step back a bit, we're doing some evaluations of what the 'next rig' (or 'rigs') need to do.

We're still planning a southwest trip in 2021, so I've got some time to noodle out a plan!

Sorry to see this go. I always appreciated the tech that came with your threads. I’ve been down a wheeler for past twelve months for similar reasons.
Thanks, when the next build gets going, I'll link back to it in this thread to keep everything tied together for those that like to follow. I'm not sure if the next one will be a Ford or another brand. Heck, I might even look at picking something up that is already semi built. We'll just see when the time comes.

Dang I'm also sad to see this day come, but I am glad I got to wheel with you and this rig in-person once (albeit briefly).

I don't suppose there is a chance the new owner will post in this thread if he plans to change anything?
He knows of this thread, but I don't know if he is a member here. His exact words were that "This is pretty much exactly how I would have built it if I had done it" so I don't know how much he'll wind up changing up. Since it will likely live on a trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if it wound up with deeper gearing at least.

I see why he bought it. Clearly he has a thing for ford SUVs..

One chapter ends, another one will start!
Yup!

Maroon, solid axle Ford SUVs. :laughing:
Yeah, I got a chuckle when he pulled up in that thing!

My other happy point during that test drive with him was his comment of "I could close my eyes and believe that I am driving my excursion right now. This thing rides and drives better than it does!". So that was a bit of an ego boost to hear that I got the driving dynamics down that good on my wheeler :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
:(

441 - 453 of 453 Posts