Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I bead balanced some IROKs a few years back that took 16 Oz of bbs to sort out in one tire. Took a lot of trial and error but it did work ok once I figured it out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
So I seem to have gotten an ip ban for some reason, which means I can only get on here by using my phone. So the updates are on pause until that gets sorted out as trying to do a build thread on a phone is a good way to get my anger issues to flare up!

I sent a message via the link I had that goes to the administrator, so in theory it might get sorted out sometime. ... maybe.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Glad to see you're back in the Ford family and out of the barbie cars. Always love your builds man!
Thanks! Well Admin Kevin finally got the IP issue sorted out so how about a couple of lame-ish updates?

I have a dream that will probably never become a reality, but I hope to aspire to it one day. That dream is to have all the tools required for the Merc to just live in the Merc full time. That way when I’m ready to wheel, I won’t have to spend any time getting things loaded up, hoping that I didn’t forget something. I can just jump in and go.

While I don’t know I’ll ever manage to get a dedicated tool set put together for it, I can create some secure storage that will hold down the spare tire, and hopefully make things easier for packing. I’ve just been riding around with the 37 just hanging out in the rear for some time now:

Some wood work and upholstery work later I got this going on now. The top part is in two pieces to allow for getting the tire in and out easier:

And it is level(ish) to the rear window opening:

It worked out well for our first road trip in it:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Crossing the 1,000 mile mark

This past Turkey Day, we loaded up the Mercury for its first long road trip, which at the end of the trip marked the 1,000 mile point since the build first rolled out of the garage.

So we took this much junk (for a one night stay) and crammed it into the back of the Merc:

And hit the road to go see family in Southern MO. We made a side trip down to the farm to goof off for a bit and it gave me a chance to take it off road for the first time, though I’m not going to say that it was anything challenging. So we started out with wide gravel roads…:

To more narrow roads:

To two track:

After saying hi to the cows:

We wandered around the property some. I can say it has now been off road, but I can’t say that it has been challenged yet:

And it’s funny how much things can change in just a few years. I took a photo of the Merc sitting in the same spot that I once had the truck sitting:

So how are things going after a 1,000 miles? Pretty good actually. I still need to fix some nagging road issues such as a drive shaft vibe and tire balance, but otherwise, it eats up the miles pretty well. It does suck down the fuel while doing so though, at last count it is getting about 11.25 mpgs since the cold arrived.

Once I get my balance issues sorted, I’ll be moving on to the more off road orientated things to get it ready to wheel for real (rear tow point, skid plate, etc). I’m starting to get excited about that!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I wanted to reuse the Bronco II tank I had on hand for this project to get me a little more extra fuel capacity (23 gallons vs the stock 21) since I’m expecting this thing to get somewhere around 11-12 mpgs. But that meant I needed to rework the spare tire area, move the charcoal canister, and weld on some fitting from the old Merc tank onto the BII tank to jive with the returnless fuel setup. To be honest, at this point I just want this thing back on the road, so I wound up hitting the easy button and going with the 2 door sport tank to get things rolling. At 17 gallons, I’ve got a feeling I will wind up regretting this, but if it gets me rolling sooner…..

All three tanks next to each other, the sport tank is 10” shorter than the 4 door tank which is what I needed (doubler takes up about 6” more over stock):

The Ford quick disconnect stuff for their fuel systems always give me a bunch of grief whenever I need to actually disconnect it. So I grabbed a few fittings to get rid of it and make my life easier when I have to drop the tank. Since I kind of destroyed the body side quick disconnect the last time I pulled the tank, I didn’t really have an option.

– Russel PN 640853 for the pump side (Quick disco to -6 AN)
– NOS PN 741-15411 for 2’ of -6AN fuel line
– Earl PN 361-165056 for a -6 AN male to 5/16” hard line compression fitting

All of that netted me this hose (Bling Bling!):

Mounting the tank, I wound up hacking up the stock bracket, flipping it 180°, and welding that bracket to my new crossmember:

While this makes it a bit of a pain to drop the tank now, it does allow me to drop the crossmember without dropping the tank first.

Getting dangerously close to having the thing run for the first time since March….
Have a link to the NOS hose? I cant find that anywhere on line. If i google it the only match that shows up is a link to your build on midwest nomands.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Have a link to the NOS hose? I cant find that anywhere on line. If i google it the only match that shows up is a link to your build on midwest nomands.
Huh, wild. If you put just the number into Google it shows up if you dig a bit (Which is odd). But here is the link, picked it up from JEGs

741-15411 | JEGS

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That's cool its a comfortable-ish road warrior too. I kinda miss the days when my FSB was comfortable on the street.

I have a dream that will probably never become a reality, but I hope to aspire to it one day. That dream is to have all the tools required for the Merc to just live in the Merc full time. That way when I’m ready to wheel, I won’t have to spend any time getting things loaded up, hoping that I didn’t forget something. I can just jump in and go.
Same here. I've been working on it for a while. Every time I go to harbor freight I buy a tool to leave in the truck. Got a pretty decent set going but its still not complete. It's a pain packing and unpacking tools and like you said, you inevitably forget something.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
That's cool its a comfortable-ish road warrior too. I kinda miss the days when my FSB was comfortable on the street.

Same here. I've been working on it for a while. Every time I go to harbor freight I buy a tool to leave in the truck. Got a pretty decent set going but its still not complete. It's a pain packing and unpacking tools and like you said, you inevitably forget something.
Getting more comfortable as I keep plugging away at the road manner issues that annoy me. I think I have the tires balanced finally, and I played with the pinion angle some more to get the drive shaft better. Still vibes, but I don't know if it's bad enough that I feel like messing with it again.

Tool wise, I had a pretty modular set that went into the truck. So I've got a good start for the Merc, I just need to figure out how to pack it and make sure I've got it all in there!

Looking at my upcoming work/life schedule, I am thinking about trying to sneak a shake down run over the New Year holiday. I won't have some of the stuff done that I wanted to get done before I wheeled it, but dang it, I wanna play with it :homer: So we'll see if I can sneak a 2016 run in here yet...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Nice rig and great write up Ben! ( Greg from KCY) My grandson and I need to find a rig to fix up
Careful, its a slippery slope!

Still slowly putzing around with this thing. I’m not going to lie, I have some severe project burnout going on with this thing so I have mostly just been piling miles on it. I have a goal of a shake down run happening 12/31/16 at Flat Nasty. I won’t have any real skid plates on it, so it’ll be a little less crazy than my usual adventures, but the trip will hopefully breathe some more energy into this 9 month long ordeal.

In that vein, small things are still getting done. Like re-shimming the rear to get a better pinion angle. I still have a drive shaft vibe, but it is not as bad as it was before. I am starting suspect that there might be a bearing going out on either the 205 of the 14 bolt even though both ‘feel’ fine:

Still trying to track down my misfire. Data logging has been inconclusive in pinpointing what the culprit is. I did have a couple of times where it was acting like it only wanted to run on 4 cylinders. Since the coil packs were original, I swapped them out. While it didn’t fix the miss, it sure seems to run better. The tone of the exhaust even changed some:

With the cold weather arriving in force this week (single digit temps), another cold running issue came up. I had cleaned the IAC a few times before, but went ahead an swapped it out this time around:

With the trip coming up quickly, I know I want some armor before I head out. I need to get the exhaust re-routed before I do my belly skids, but I didn’t see a reason not to get started on the sliders. So popped the running boards off and started playing with some tube. I hope to have this wrapped up this week or at least over the Christmas break:

I also need to come up with some sort of rear tow point quickly. With the longer shackles in the rear, the hitch I had no longer fit. With no time to build a rear bumper, and even less desire to buy another hitch, I de-rated the hitch I had. I hate doing ‘one trip’ fixes like this, but this truly is a one trip fix as getting real tow point back there is a priority:

Otherwise, I’m just living the ‘salt life’ putting miles on the thing…

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Well the New Year’s Eve ‘Easy’ ride is a go. So it looks like I’ll actually get to wheel this at least once in 2016. So with the first wheeling trip looming in the near future, I knew that the stock running boards were not up to the task of sliding along the rocks. Well, I guess they would one time, but two times? Probably not so much.

For these I went a tad heavy by using 2” x 5” x ¼”wall tubing, and the supports are 2” x 2” x 3/16” wall tubing. I figured they would wind up seeing quite a bit of abuse over the years so it was worth going a bit thicker material here. So off came the stock boards and I slid the material up to the lower rockers:

After cutting and folding the pinch seam in three places, I burned everything home and slapped some red paint on them:

The wife isn’t happy that they are higher than the stockers, but it isn’t too bad either. The top of the sliders are 25” from the ground, and simple math gives you that there is 23” under them. So not as high up as they could be, but high enough to be a decent compromise.

So with those done, I’ve got the tools loaded up, and I’m just waiting for Saturday to break my 1.5 year hiatus from wheeling. In the meantime, the Merc is still playing DD to continue racking up miles on it. It is a little lonely around work during the time between Christmas and New Year’s

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
good to hear. 25" isn't bad, that's right about knee height, right? And you still have the grab handles inside the truck?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I finally caught back up. Looks awesome man! I'm diggin' the rear storage. Packaging is something I really enjoy. I feel like the bed of my truck has evolved pretty well over the years, but having a purpose built 'hatch' in the Merc' would be sweet.

Sliders turned out excellent as well. A bit heavy, but there's no kill like overkill!

Keep up the good work man. I'm looking forward to reading about the NYE trip.

101 - 120 of 453 Posts