Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a 4wd to daily and found this 81 Trekker on CL. It was on another island and the owner played stupid. Well, stupid me bought it without having someone knowledgeable look at it and ended up with a Trekker with serious issues, but all fixable.

The good;
Fiberglass bed is in good shape
22r runs strong, but has a stumble at idle
It drives pretty well down the road.
Has new plugs wires rotor and cap. :shaking:
Frame looks to be in good condition, just some surface rust.

The bad;
Everything else :eek:
The cab is rusted to shit
Sketch ass wiring all over the place (wire nuts for splices and crimps that fall off without pulling on them)
Knuckles are the biggest mess I've ever seen. Frank would be proud.:laughing:
No topper
No rollbar
Seat channels for the front mounts mostly rusted out of the floor
Body mounts in the foot wells are cracked completely off the mounts.
Missing the lower portion of the back seat and the frame for the backrest is on its way out.
Front bumper brackets made from conduit tubing :laughing:
Needs a new shifter bushing
Most of the dash is cracked or broken.

I texted the guy I bought it from today telling him how big of a POS this was, that if I was selling to someone on another island I would've been as truthful and accurate about its condition, and I want some of my money back. I doubt he will respond. It is my fault for taking his word on what was wrong with the truck and then sending my aunt down to get it, but I figure it's worth a shot. Like one of my friends says all the time, "MOST HUMANS SUCK!"

First order of business is, do I even want to keep this thing?
Do I just sell it "as is" and take a big loss or do I try to sell my 4runner and start over with this? I'm not a baller, so I don't really have any money to spend on this thing.

It's a cool truck, just needs a lot of TLC. I could see keeping it, but I'm really good at building something nice and then trashing it because I get carried away on the trail, so not sure I should even attempt building this. I'm sure the fiberglass bed will get fucked up pretty fast once it's trailworthy. :eek:

Sometimes I hate myself. :grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some of the fun stuff I found.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And more!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On to some repairs.

Yesterday I started poking around with the wiring. I got the drivers side headlight, parking light, and turn signal wires soldered and routed better, damn wire nuts on everything. Going to start on the pass side today and try to get the wiper switch and horn wired up correctly too.

I was told the heat/air didn't work so I pulled the fan switch and found this. Does anyone know what the contact on the switch looks like? I'd like to make one to fit instead of buying a switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The cab isn't salvageable. Part it out, then scrap it.
I agree, the cab is fucked.

I made some calls this morning and found out that if I buy a donor truck I can go down to the Police Auto Theft division with both titles and they will legally swap the vins on the cab for me. There is a whole truck for sale that's been in a garage for 12 yrs for $1200 and one of my friends said the junk yard just got a 2wd first gen in with a nice cab, so I think one of those may be my best bet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i wonder if you can mount the fiberglass bed on the pickup... cut out the back of the pickup, basically make your own trekker?

if the front beam isn't bent, hang on to it.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wonder if you can mount the fiberglass bed on the pickup... cut out the back of the pickup, basically make your own trekker?

if the front beam isn't bent, hang on to it.
It's a pickup cab with the back wall cut out, brackets bolted in to stiffen/fill the back, and the fiberglass parts glued/bolted/screwed into the cab. I'm probably going to do the cab swap no matter what because it will be worth way more with a decent cab on it.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
When I was going to put a second gen box on my third gen, a guy said it would be "totally fuckin Hawaiian."

Now I get it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
did this come from kauai by chance? seen one that looked very much like that one a couple years ago on vay-kay. I remember the chopped trekker top specificaly. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I vote to part out Trekker specific parts (Like the bed). Plenty of guys looking for that hard to find stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did this come from kauai by chance? seen one that looked very much like that one a couple years ago on vay-kay. I remember the chopped trekker top specificaly. :flipoff2:
Yes it is.
Looks like most of the older Toyotas I saw when I visited Hawaii!!
Sad part is there are quite a few really nice and well built trucks out here, they just don't post them online.
I vote to part out Trekker specific parts (Like the bed). Plenty of guys looking for that hard to find stuff.
The biggest reasons for not doing that is I will lose a lot of money and I have no place to keep a bed and axles and engine and whatever else I could pull and sell.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
They want the stuff but they want it for free. I had this sitting around for 2 years thinking I would use it to build another truck as a DD. didn't make a whole lot of money on it

89lc- you are right, you wiring is about as fubar as mine:flipoff2:
the top that came with your truck wasn't the stock winnebago top..

edit- your truck is a month older than mine, 22 Conversions ahead too:grinpimp:

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
Ocdropzone, what did you get for that trekker back half? (If you don't mind me asking)

I have a trekker that I want to sell. Its a project that I have no time for. I am missing the top.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts