Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little background of how I got to this build: Back in 2002 I was wheeling an exo-caged '84 Toyota on 37's. It seemed like everyone had one and when I ran across a 1962 Nissan Patrol for $500 I picked it up and built the Nissan Patrol buggy from all of my Toyota parts, first trip was in 2003.

I did a "Phase II" build on the Patrol that involved swapping the rear Toyota axle to Spidertrax and going to air shocks in the rear back in 2009.

Fast forward to December 2010 in Clayton OK - I spun a rod bearing on that tired Toyota 22RE and decided that it was time for a V8 upgrade.

After thinking about it some more, V8 would need a new transmission, might as well get a new transfer case too, and heck, that FJ-80 front axle might need to go also, - and oh, I need four seats now - so I decided to start over.

Over those eight years we had two kids and I built my wife a rig:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563033

Now to the new plans:
Twisted Customs knock-off 4 seat 54" wide chassis
HO 6.0 LQ9 out of an Escalade
- Kevko gated pan
- Hooker Headers
4L60E built by Circle D transmission (which is right down the road from my home)
stock stall convertor gone thru by Circle D Specialties
Atlas II 3.8, 32 spline, 1350 F/R, 0 degrees
Spider9 Rear axle, 35 Spline Chromo, True Hi-9 center w Detroit, Chevy brakes (had on old buggy)
Spider9 Front Axle, 35 Spline Chromo, True Hi-9 center w Detroit, Willwood brakes
4-links front and rear
MasterCraft seats and Harnesses
Ron Davis 24" x 19" Radiator with Spal fan
40" Sticky Krawlers on Raceline Beadlocks (that's my plan for now)
1962 Nissan Patrol hood and grill (somehow)

should be a fun project!
My buddy just picked up his TC 4-seat chassis and is letting me borrow it :)

Here is the Patrol when I first built it - and one from it's last trip:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
- Built a table to build the chassis on. My garage floor is very "wavy"
- the studs for the Atlas adapter bottomed out and had to be trimmed, frustrating late at night...
- drivetrail bolted together

Attachments

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started bending some tube!
- changed from the TC chassis are:
1) I lowered my door bars
2) I widened the back to allow for tail lights
3) I brought the roof a little furthur back so rain water doesn't run off onto the rear seat
4) I widened the front to allow room for a full width winch

Attachments

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spidertrax front roller and brakes came in yesterday!

How should I run my bracing under my door bar? Suggestions? Looking for form and function.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your build sounds great, but shouldn't it be in the nissan section?
I thought about it, but just like most "Jeep" buggy builds, the only part "Nissan" will be the hood and grill - even that will be heavily modified. They should have a "Buggy" hardcore tech section.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Can't wait to see how this turns out! I always love your builds. Great work on the Chassis so far!!!!

My .002 for what it's worth is pick the door bars back up to the chassis belt line MIN! That is one thing i'd like to change about my buggy. It feels a lot safer when the "door" bar is shoulder height.

I also REALLY like the "vent' window bar on mine(small bar behind the a pillar)!! Gives me a place to put your hand while just crusing and adds lots of strength to the bend at the top of the A pillar in hard rolls.

Both make it harder to get in and out. Saftey comes first for me. I recently took a HARD roll in Disney and other than dented tubing my chassis is still perfectly straight. dont' think that would be the case without the vent window bar (passenger A pillar is pretty tweaked:barf:).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looks good so far, nice tube work. Im subscribed. Plus I see a jeep in the background so this build must belong in this section. :)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I worked on the sub-frame over the weekend in my spare time. Those steep notches that you can't use the notcher on suck.

Blase - when did you move? I will definitly add the "vent" window bar, not sure on making my door bars straight though.

J.Jones - your not done yet? You have a thing called "winter" now that should help right?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I moved back in January 2010. I'm back in Louisiana now. You will be glad you added the vent bars. I love mine.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not much - we were pretty busy over the holidays and just got back from a vacation, not to mention travel for work. I've got the subframe finished, flipped it back over and have it back on the table. Set the drivetrain in it, just need to position it and make some mounts. Still need to add the door cross bars and other brace tube work for the chassis - the main structure is complete.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have some newer ones on my camera at home, but here are some when I had it upside down working on the subframe

I have the drivetrain positioned and tacked some engine mounts in this weekend - got pulled away to do house chores and wasn't able to finish the t-case mount. I'll get some fresher pics up soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, more pics - everyone likes to see some progress, even if it is pretty slow...

This is when positioned the drivetrain in and made the engine and tranny mounts. It's offset 1" to the driver side.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 119 Posts