Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone seems to like these little guys, and there are some great threads on here. I plan on updating this thread just like the D80 bible, so feel free to post up or PM me stuff I missed and I will try and keep this first post up to date:smokin:

I pulled this stuff from random places on the web, so please correct me!

The CJ-10a was contract built for the US Air Force as a tug to move around flightline equipment. I have heard they were mainly used for generators and smaller stuff. There were approx. 2300 made, who knows how many of them made it through the air force and were surplused on the CONUS. As with much of the military equipment, overseas deployment usually means a one way ride. It is cheaper to auction them where they sit than it is to ship them home. I have seen them pop up on German auctions, and there is at least one picture of a CJ10 serving in Iraq.

The CJ-10a was built from 1984 to 86. It was produced in the VAM Jeep plant in Mexico then shipped to PSI where it was turned into a tug. The "second generation" of factory built tugs had on board compressed air to tow things with air brakes, but that was the only design change in the 3 years of production and did not merit a change in nomenclature. (CJ-10a-a1? :)).

The flight line tugs had some special features to make them better for towing, and most of this centered around weight. These pigs are heavy stock, a lot heavier that they look! The front bumper is 1/2 inch channel, and had a large pintle hitch. The rear bumper is thick and heavy as well, and has 3 huge pintle's, with the center one being moveable for easy hookup. They also have a large weight box under the "bed" that weighs 12-1400 lbs. All together they weigh in the 6000 range stock.

Besides the weight and the bed, the CJ is made of a hodge podge of "spare parts". Front axle is a dead D44 with 8 lug outers. Some of the knuckles have been reported to be flat tops, but not all of them are. These outers should bolt up to any stock D44. Rear axle is 80 inch wide D70 with 4.88s, and seem to come either open or with a limited slip. Stock motor is a Nissan SD-33, transmission is an odd ball TF727 with a Dodge Industrial 440 Big Block bell housing, transfer case is a NP198 with no shift fork, stuck in 4 low. Top speed is 25 MPH. Front of the frame is close in dimension to a Jeep Wagoneer, including a nice to fabricate around 32 inch spring center, rear is custom. Wheel base is a short 88 inches.

Reference Links:

Official Air Force TM TO 36A10-3-29-31. All the technical info you would ever need.

Filters for the stock motor

CJ-10a History

Good pictures of the stock tug and the Australian version

Jeeps with truck cabs

Alternatives for the bench seat

Join the CJ-10a mailing list!

Curious about the origins of the CJ10? TX800B's Registry thread!

Builds (Mostly in the order I found them in on a search!):

Mine: Daily Driver Tug
4BTA, NV4500, D300, D60/14B. Cut down M101a1 trailer for a bed.

MNtal: Al's CJ-10a
TBI 350, 700r4, NP231, D44/D60. Maybe a tube bed? In cab cage.

TAWL_BOY: CJ10-A Build
SD-33, TF727, modified NP198. Custom D70 front, stock D70 rear. Linked, bed based on a CJ-7.

dustyglyde: CJ10a post build thread
SD-33, TF727, D300, DRW D60/D70. Bed based on a CJ rear tub. Nice in cab roll cage.
4krawln: Project Tugger CJ-10
SD33, TF727, D300, 10b/D60. Another CJ based bed.

1x1_Speed_Craig: Jeep CJ-10a Conversion Project
SD33, TF727, NP208, D44/D44. Bed based off of a M416 trailer.

Ted Wendel: Another CJ-10A project Sadly, Ted passed after his battle with cancer but I will leave this link as a memorial.
Caddy 500, TH400, D20, D44/D60. On a Scrambler frame, custom M715 type bed.

Scumby's CJ10 build
SD33, TF727, D300, D44/D44. Custom frame, mostly custom narrow 6 foot bed with trailer fenders.

Jeepnwilson's CJ10a pics in Photobucket
400 HP LT1:smokin:, NV4500, D300, D60/D70. Lengthened frame, tube bed. More info on post #12 of this thread.

John Meier's CJ-10a build page. Lots of pics.
SD33, tf727. Looks like D44s. Light duty build, very short wheelbase, custom small pickup bed.

John W.'s Cj-10A in Petersons 4 wheel & offroad
454, TH350, NP205. Dana 60/70 in the article, currently rocks/53s. Cab exo, tube rear. Moose buggies are cool!

wcurleyq's CJ-10a post, no build thread, but good looking!
350, 700r4, box4rocks/231. Dana 60/70. Longer modified YJ bed, looks very proportional!

TX800B's CJ10 project
SD33, 727/198, Waggy D44s. Jeep tub bed, short wheelbase

DrJekl's CJ-10 Diesel Project
SD33, TF727, D300. Not sure on the front axle, 14b rear axle.

sloemoetion's CJ-10 Pickup
302, T18. D30/D35 for now. Stock CJ10 bed, not the tug bed.

EvilSteevil's CJ10a restoration
SD33T, TF727, NP208. D44/D70. Custom pickup bed, original wide rear axle, wide flares

mwqpd11's CJ 10a Tug Goes Offroad!!!!
SD33, TF727, D300, D44/D44. Pickup bed made from TJ Unlimited bed.

I know there are more out there. Let me know about them, and I will add them to the list!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Gavan,

Do you know how many gallons the stock fuel tank holds?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good info. My '10as are long gone, but I'm still really intrigued by them. I do still have one mint-condition '10a grill that may end up on a Jeep rat rod project sometime down the road...who knows.

Nice collection of links, BTW.

Craig

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gavan,

Do you know how many gallons the stock fuel tank holds?
20 gallons, from the CJ-10a History thread. All the other specifications you want or need are listed there too :smokin:

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Added a nice thread about bench seats. It can be nice to have an extra person in the cab and newer seats, but I think the middle person needs to be small! Especially with the NV4500!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Never really started a build thread, posted a few times while building it on Dustglyde and Tawlboys builds. I originally bought it in "lightened" condition from Jagular7 on Pirate. 1985 CJ10A, I lengthened the frame in the rear (114" WB), stock spring over with a SRW D60 un-narrowed, High-steer and 1 ton TRE's, 1995 LT1 400hp +/-,Dodge 29 spline NV4500, D300, 14B rear spooled, 39.5" Boggers (gag) on stock H1 wheels, 3.5" XJ BDS rear springs, 26 gallon Aero steel tank, SMF front and rear bumpers, HS9500I winch. Just your standard clean 1 ton Jeep build. Build photos are on Photobucket under user jeepnwilson.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added to the list:smokin:

Any issues with the D300 and that much power/weight? Have you upgraded the output? I am still thinking about throwing one in my Jeep, but I am worried about the 4BT eating stock outputs for lunch.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
No problems yet. I was using it this summer on a friends property as a log skidder pulling out 12 foot x 2 foot round cedar logs and it held.... so far. I will eventually upgrade it but I am usually pretty good about how much power I lean into, it was muddy enough to grease things up, I am sure it would have been a different story on dry ground. I am sure your 4BT will have more torque than my gasser with just a little work. Wish I could have found a 4BT when I was building mine, but already had the engine on a stand from a previous rig.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have running boards in rough shape, and a trans cooler. Shipping is going to hurt.

I believe that the headliner was just normal headliner material stuck to the roof with spray adhesive, but mine was so bad off I could not even tell what color it was.

I have a link to replacement polyurethane body mounts in my build thread.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Starting my build. I have all the pieces in place now.
I'm having some questions about the Wheel Base. Currently the CJ-10 is at 86". My CJ-7 is at 91", and I have good results with it. So if I flip the springs to gain an inch to 87", what are the disadvantages to such a short WB.?

I plan to swap in my waggy axles, and run 35's.

I could use the back half of the waggy frame I have to get any WB I need, but don't really understand why I need more than 87". Would like to hear some reasons.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I plan to swap in my waggy axles, and run 35's.

I could use the back half of the waggy frame I have to get any WB I need, but don't really understand why I need more than 87". Would like to hear some reasons.
87" is pretty short. You will have a little rougher ride, and it will not do hill climbs as well. It will only get worse as the tire size goes up, but if you sick to 35s you should do OK.

It will steer tighter, but that is about the only advantage I can think of. Handling might be a bit squirrely.

My first CJ was 91 inches, and I stretched it to 101 when I rebuilt it. The ride was much better and I felt it performed better off road. My 10 is now in the 120 range, but it is a little ridiculous for a trail rig. Good for extra room in a pickup, though!

1x1_Speed_Craig kept his wheelbase pretty short and seemed happy enough. He has some driving impressions in the last part of his thread that is linked on the first post.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One thing I found out with my project, is that you can swap in a Waggy transmission crossmember. The Waggy member is about an inch narrower, and the tranny mount is taller. This combination raises the rear of the tranny around an 1-1/2". Better ground clearance, since this puts the bottom of the member flush with the bottom of the frame.

With the tug member, it hangs down below the frame.

Since I have not mounted the cab on the frame yet, I don't know if there are clearance issues yet because of raising the tranny, but can add body lift if I need to.

With the Waggy member, there is a factory curve molded into the member right where the front drive shaft sits. This gives better clearance for the shaft that you don't get with the tug member.

Since I'm running 2" lifted Waggy springs up front, I needed all the clearance I could get.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts