Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Vendor
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be quite a bit of interest in roll bending here on Pirate. I have come across many threads with pictures of roll bent tubes in the chassis.

I am pretty educated in the art of roll bending, so I will start this roll bending thread. If you have any questions about roll bending, roll benders, square tooling, tube and pipe tooling, how to repeat a radius, how tight you can roll a certain material on what type of machine, how large of a shaft would be required to bend a material to any radius.....just ask away.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Holy cow! Look at this roll bending application! :eek::eek::eek:

I wanna see pictures of that buggy! :laughing:

Skyscraper foundation? For wafer fabs the buildings as suspened to prevent vibrations from causing issues, but I'm really wondering what the heck the application is for those things!

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
I am rolling 2x2 square steel. The material is often deformed once it has been rolled (square becomes a rectangle because of the pressure). Material too thick or too thin? Do I need to use less pressure and roll back and forth more?

Thanks

edit: How would you do a double arch like this. (I get kinks when I start the opposite arch):

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am rolling 2x2 square steel. The material is often deformed once it has been rolled (square becomes a rectangle because of the pressure). Material too thick or too thin? Do I need to use less pressure and roll back and forth more?

Thanks

edit: How would you do a double arch like this. (I get kinks when I start the opposite arch):

Anytime you bend square tube it will deform. The inside and outside of the bend will suck in, and the top and bottom will mushroom out. This effect gets worse the tighter the radius and the thinner the wall. It is just something you have to live with when roll bending.

Whets the wall thickness of the 2x2 square?

You will get "necking" whenever you start a bend on a roll bender, there is really no way around this.

Give me a call if you like, I love talking roll benders. I would be happy to help.

·
Vendor
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks

Glad to help you yesterday!

Lets see some pics of that home made bender!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
What's the trick to that? Pitch one or both bottom rollers or just a matter of misaligning the top so it doesn't track in line with the bottom dies?

On that same note, do you guys have a machine capable of rolling helical bends in flat, rectangle, or square material? If so, is the machine able to be calibrated or is it a crap shoot and adjust from wherever you start?

·
Vendor
2,594 Posts
What's the trick to that? Pitch one or both bottom rollers or just a matter of misaligning the top so it doesn't track in line with the bottom dies?

On that same note, do you guys have a machine capable of rolling helical bends in flat, rectangle, or square material? If so, is the machine able to be calibrated or is it a crap shoot and adjust from wherever you start?
There 2 long rollers that are on the sides at about 75 and 105 degrees. One of those is pushing on the material as it leaves the 3rd wheel to give it some side pressure. This is how spiral stair cases are made as well as coils like the one shown.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ah, I see, I just assumed those were stationary but that really doesn't make any sense that they would be. Is that a turn of a screw to adjust those in and out for the pitch? I'm guessing it's one of those things where a very little goes a long way in terms of changing pitch on a handrail.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have a hand operated three roll bender that I got off criagslist. I've done quite a few arches like that (nothing as big as 2x2) out of cap rail and channel. I never even tried to do it out of one piece. I just make three parts and weld them together. To me it's the most time efficient way to make the transition between the opposite bends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ah, I see, I just assumed those were stationary but that really doesn't make any sense that they would be. Is that a turn of a screw to adjust those in and out for the pitch? I'm guessing it's one of those things where a very little goes a long way in terms of changing pitch on a handrail.
Can someone explain to me how those 2 side rollers are moved/adjusted to create the helical spiral of the bent tube in this picture?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Might consider a foot switch that can go both directions instead of having to switch it at the motor. Would suck to get a finger pinched and not be able to reach the switch to back it out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts