Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Well it turns out driving the car left me little time for picture taking but here are a few I was able to snap here and there. Deep sloppy mud and water crossings were the norm. Charlotte did great, our only real issue all week was an air filter that got a little too wet (mud, not water) and collapsed. We were able to snag a new one before the drivers meeting the next morning and never missed a beat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
We had an absolute blast all week. I wasn't prepared for the level camaraderie within this group. Just a great bunch of guys all around. It was awesome to watch people just jump in and get to helping each other no matter the task. Made new friends and memories I'll keep forever for sure. I've got a weeks worth of driving ahead of me to get home but I'll try to post up more pics when I get back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Mud my friend, mud and winching for days. Lol

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
That’s awesome! I saw your cruiser in Fred’s and Christain’s Instagram feed and thought that thing looks badass! Congrats on getting picked

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
That’s awesome! I saw your cruiser in Fred’s and Christain’s Instagram feed and thought that thing looks badass! Congrats on getting picked
Thank you, it really was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm so thankful for being in a position to pull it off and I had a great time! I feel a little bad for not having many good pics to post here but the ones being posted in the FB and Instagram feeds are so good that helps.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Well I guess I should report the last bit of the story. I arrived back at the shop in AZ on Saturday the 7th. I spent the day removing copious amounts of Alaska mud and debris from the cruiser and doing some general maintenance, checking hardware, etc. in preparation for the 3hr drive home. I only made it a few miles and the engine developed a pretty bad knock and started overheating. No time to pull the engine right now but it sounds like a rod bearing. So, until I have time for an engine swap, here she'll sit. Thank goodness it at least held together for a week of UA!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Congrats.
I had no idea...
Engines come and go....Adventure lasts a LIFETIME :beer:

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
That sucks about the engine, but you're right, it could have been much worse timing. Looks like you made it through without any major body damage.
No body damage at all. Alaska turned out to be all about mud and water crossings. There were some small boulders the last trail day but I wouldn't have considered it rock crawling. The biggest mud holes were where small streams crossed the trail through the Muskeg. The first one or two vehicles through would make it without too big of an issue. After that we'd be broken through the surface to a seemingly bottomless mud bog. It'd be a winchfest after that point. We'd just winch each other through in a big Daisy chain. We did that all day and into the night on one day. Being that I've got a mechanical fan, we'd just stop at the deep water crossings and remove the fan belt to avoid killing the radiator. Rob fabbed up a neat aluminum extension for the air cleaner and we'd have just pulled the hood off and throw it on the roof to run it for a deep water crossing but it never came to that. We were required to be able to ford 48" of water.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Congrats.
I had no idea...
Engines come and go....Adventure lasts a LIFETIME :beer:
I'm not super bummed about the engine as I had my reservations about it from the start. It did surprisingly well. Perhaps it had something to do with the repeated pedal to the floor mud assaults. I hate mud with a passion but I have to admit it was fun. It sucks that the videos that I've seen don't capture what that thing sounded like pegged in the mud. Alaska was amazing and worth the 12 years it took to build this thing! It was a long build with a kickass payoff for sure. As an added bonus I've got a one in three shot of getting invited back next year, I'll take those odds!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Nothing to do and got some service so here are some pics. Lots of cleaning, repainting various things, etc. I cleaned, painted and re-wrapped the exhaust. Engine swap is almost done. A couple more hours and it’ll be time to start and break in the new engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Good luck with the new engine. She is looking great!

301 - 314 of 314 Posts