Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 314 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Any updates?
I was moving along pretty good until it got stupid hot around here. The cage is 80% done (tacked) and I got the rear axle back under it with the struts in place. I'm going to have to trim the tub more than I thought because of the rear stretch. I'll try to get some updated pics up tonight.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Alright, here are some update pics of what I've been up to.

The main cage is done (just tacked for now as I said). I still have to add some tubes in the door area, and a few tubes from the b-pillar to the c-pillar down low just above the fenderwell as well as one across the back.

I also still need to add the lower tubes to finish the "X" inside the b-pillar

I'm not completely happy with the strut hoops but I'm going to leave it for now. I've got to draw the line somewhere or I'll never drive this thing.

This pic really sucks but my shop is small and I can't get the camera any further away. Anyway, Here you can see that I'm going to have to trim my fenders a lot more. I'm just going to take my time and try not to take off any more than I absolutely have to. I'm not a big fan of the comp cut but I was after a 90 degree departure angle so I had to compromise.

I had a new set of 2" wheel spacers made by Motorsport Tech (from the vendor forum, great guys to work with, great fit and finish and made in the USA) and got my rear axle back in place. The rear axle width now matches the front but the real reason is to hopefully keep my tires from contacting the struts when the axle is fully articulated. I'll find out when I start flexing it up so I can get the fenders trimmed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
This thing is looking AMAZING!!
Thanks for posting the pics of the exhaust. Im having mine run by a shop, but its nice to have a reference of how others have done it. That run along the DS frame rail in mine is SOOOOOOPER TIGHT, and I also mounted a tank behind the t cases too, so if needed, I can show this to the exhaust guy of what I would like.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Anything happening with your 40? Its winter time so it should only be like 90 degrees in the garage right?

Also, what did you do with your 55 springs that were on the rear? I've been looking for a set, wanna sell and ship them if you still have them?

·
Registered
486 Posts
this is a great buildup!!!!!!!
from the title to the new fenderwhells!
i love it all. kudos to an ex jeeper:flipoff2:
congrads on upgrading to a yota:D

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I've managed to flex the rear axle to check for clearance and start trimming the fenders, as well as adding some sheetmetal to the front of the wheelwell opening, but not really anything picture worthy. I think I've decided to go ahead and order a set of rear tub corners from Budbuilt with the wheel openings moved way back and then trim them accordingly. We are in the middle of refinancing our house so I've been busy doing a zillion projects around the here getting ready for a very thourough appraisal. I also found out that my employer is pulling out of Arizona so I am partering with a couple coworkers to start our own company. Hopefully this will all be finished in a couple months and I can start getting some work done on the cruiser again.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
this is a great buildup!!!!!!!
from the title to the new fenderwhells!
i love it all. kudos to an ex jeeper:flipoff2:
congrads on upgrading to a yota:D
I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread. I've just let this build drag on for way too long and I really need to get it done. It's gone past the point of being fun to work on anymore and I just want to drive it!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
:grinpimp:
I still have them, but I have been kicking around the idea of using them in the front. I had to redrill my front main leaves and I am concerned about them lasting in the long run. Plus I figure I'll get a little more flex out of the longer 55's. I'm just not sure I want to have that longer shackle out front. We'll see. I'm waiting until I get it driveable to make that decision. Just too much else to do right now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I got to that point with my 40 where I was just pissed at myself for not having it done after a year. It took me 14 months to drive mine and it's nowhere near as pretty as yours

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Phase 2

Well it has been a long time since much of anything has gotten done on the cruiser and it sits essentially the same as it was when last I posted. What really sucks is Webshots was sold to another company and now all of the build photos up till this point are at least for the time being gone. If I am able to have a "computer guy" retrieve all of our photos off of our old home PC then I will get them rehosted and back up sometime in the future.

All that being said, this build is about to get a shot in the arm. I have enlisted the help of Rob Bonney to get the rest of the fabwork done. Rob will be taking delivery of the cruiser in the next couple weeks and will start working his magic. Aside from finishing the general fabwork, I've elected to have Rob go ahead and link the front end with ORI struts to match the rear. I am really excited about getting this project back on track!

Dave

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
That's good! This is one of my favorite builds....very clean. My build is going to get under way in a few weeks too. Be sure to update us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seriously sweet build! I'm impressed with the widening of the front axle - never seen that done, thanks for documenting it!

Amazing fab skills - can't wait for more updates!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Nothing major but I did get the aluminum dash mounted along with the gauges, CB, and GPS. The switches will come later when I figure out what kind I want to use and how many I'll need.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I took her for a short ride today and dropped her off at Rob's place. I still haven't gotten to drive it, but at least I've gotten to use the winch a few times if only for loading and unloading her from a trailer. The fun will begin soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A little introduction and background of how I got involved with this project. I'm Rob Bonney, Dave first inquired about having me finish this project up almost a year ago. How time flies, I had a few projects to finish up before I started this, and I also started my own company. Fast forward to today, we are finally rolling on this cruiser.

Dave has already done a lot of nice work. When I first went to look at the job, I asked Dave "Why don't you just finish it? You are doing a good job so far?" :D
I am always hesitant to bid out jobs on half finished projects, they are usually a nightmare; lots of stuff to redo, shoddy work, unhappy owners etc. This was a pleasant surprise, all the work in place looked fine, really no major changes would be needed.

Of course....that is no fun.:flipoff2:

Step one on this project was ripping out the leaf spring front suspension. One of the dangers taking too long to build a project is that the newest coolest parts are always changing, trails get harder, and ideas change. The original goal of this vehicle has not changed, streetable trail rig that doesn't lose its LC heritage. The leafs were keeping the cg higher than we wanted, by switching to links and ORI struts, I could lower the ride height and stretch the wheelbase.

Landcruiser setting at ride height, front axle mocked up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After playing with the numbers for a while, I realized the A pillar cage mount, front body mount, slider mounts, and lower link frame mounts were all going to occupy the same space. The tub still needed to be removeable, and I didn't like the shallow angle and leverage the cage was going to have at the mounting point.

I decided to build some plate style supports for the cage mount, that also doubled as the front slider connection. I will also be able to tie the link mounts into that location.

These are made out of 3/16 and 1/8 cold rolled plate, the 4 hole pattern is for the cage pad.

Here you can see the internal boxing made by forming the cage mounting pad

·
Registered
131 Posts
I trimmed the rocker as high as I could, and made some sliders out of 2" .250 4130, same material as the lower link mounts. I still need to finish the sliders, but I have them supported well enough to get the front suspension mocked up.

Here is a pic of the A pillar mount in place, access to the bolts is thru the largest flared hole

You can also see the lower link mounts mocked up

Here you can see the upper link mount mocked up on the top side of the frame. It is going to be tight passing by the starter,and will require a rework of the motor mount on that side.

121 - 140 of 314 Posts