Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I would love to know more about the yellow zinc plating process. Is it something that could be relatively inexpensive to do?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I would love to know more about the yellow zinc plating process. Is it something that could be relatively inexpensive to do?
Very common, most any plating shop should be able to handle it.....

Misc pics of the sliders coming together...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
my ocd is pissed you cut the front of the bed like that :flipoff2:

It is a sweet clean build. Sometimes I wish I had an extra cab

and a buddy with a huge metal fab shop.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
my ocd is pissed you cut the front of the bed like that :flipoff2:

It is a sweet clean build. Sometimes I wish I had an extra cab

and a buddy with a huge metal fab shop.

Cut that out with the intent to mount an ammo can there sideways on each side for used wagbag storage. If you look at most any of our camping pics (first pic in this thread...) there's almost always a thick white compactor bag containing spent wag bags, would prefer that shit not be with all our camping gear in the bed...

But I have to agree with you, don't like the look of it myself...Too many projects!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It all looks great, good clean simple build. Any other plans?
Thank you. Other plans...? Well, lots of pics still to catch up to current... But there are still a few items on the list for this one. Stay tuned....

Needed a front bumper and didn't want to take the time to build my own...mistake. Picked up the TG bumper, could only get 3 of the 6 bolts to line up and it was 1/2" - 3/4" high passenger side. Test fit to our grey 85 with exact same results. Had to enlarge holes, plate mounting area, blah, blah, blah... and I'm still not fond of it, should have just built one. Here's a few old pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That grill is badass!! I might have to steal that one.

So it's just an insert and bolted to the original plastic grill frame?
Thanks man. Yep, was pretty straight forward. Only original mounting standoff I lost was dead center bottom, but there's a winch there now... 5052 .063 aluminum. Bent a 1" lip top and bottom to make it ridged and hit it with the shrinker to give it that curve... Rivited it to the factory shell and painted it all rattle can black. I'm happy with it, but going to do a couple things differently on the next one...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thanks man. Yep, was pretty straight forward. Only original mounting standoff I lost was dead center bottom, but there's a winch there now... 5052 .063 aluminum. Bent a 1" lip top and bottom to make it ridged and hit it with the shrinker to give it that curve... Rivited it to the factory shell and painted it all rattle can black. I'm happy with it, but going to do a couple things differently on the next one...
What would you do different?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Clean and well thought out work, man. Very sexy.
Thank you. I seem to remember it wasn't long ago you weren't as kind when I was modifying some motor mounts... Thanks for taking it back and giving me a second chance...:flipoff2:

What would you do different?
Doesn't show up real good in the pics, but don't like the horizontal brake lines between rows of holes. Shouldn't have done that. Could have done better and followed the vertical contour of the original grill. Next grill on the current build will turn out better, but it might be a little while before I get to the grill...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Shit man, i was just ribbin you before. The fab work was praised in that thread too. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The build looks great and your welding skills are spot on. Care to share the welder and wire size that you're using? I've just begun welding more often on 1/4" and up and think I am bordering on needing more power.

41 - 60 of 270 Posts