Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I spy dents, orange peel, and no reflection in the hood paint. Throw that POS away and start over!! :flipoff2:

Do I also see a soft top?

·
Run what you brung.
887 Posts
Few more pics of the intake mount...

This mount worked great for 6 years or so, but just recently sheared at both the upper and lower mounts on some washboard roads between trails... Upgrades are underway....
I like the way the intake came out. Any chance you would be willing to share the part numbers for the elbows and clamps?

Also where do you get the non-corrugated cardboard for mocking stuff up?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Speaking of cooling, that grill looks good, but I'm surprised it allows enough airflow to cool properly.
Thank you. Prior to punching holes in the hood, both the reletively stock grey 85 and the not so stock red 85, both ran at similar temps under similar driving conditions. Since adding the hood vents, the red truck runs noticeably cooler than the grey one...

I spy dents, orange peel, and no reflection in the hood paint. Throw that POS away and start over!! :flipoff2:

Do I also see a soft top?
Paint and body work just isn't my thing... Good friend owns an auto body and paint shop for those times that it matters. This truck is not one of those times.....

And........yep, cut the shit out of the roof! Stay tuned, we'll get there...:flipoff2:

I like that dimple died hood
Thank you. Me too...:D

I like the way the intake came out. Any chance you would be willing to share the part numbers for the elbows and clamps?

Also where do you get the non-corrugated cardboard for mocking stuff up?
Intercooler Pipe Fabrication

https://keystonbros.com

I know I asked someone else years ago how they dimpled the hood (or any panel that can't be put in a standard press). I want to get some dies and a press, but would love to be able to do stuff like this too.
The trick-tools link above is the set I've been using. While they can be used with a draw through bolt, if doing several holes directly next to each other, the flaring is not as consistent as it is when done in the press with a gauge. I'm a picky bastard though...

If you have the means, I highly recommend the hydraulic press made by the same manufacturer. Works soooo nice!!! It's on the floor in the background, next to the bender...

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Killer work, I've gotta soft spot for the extra cabs. Dude ya gotta make a dimple die cover to fill the lower bed panel in front of the rear tire..:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Well.....I'm a complete hack. :eek::laughing: Awesome!
Thank you.

Killer work, I've gotta soft spot for the extra cabs. Dude ya gotta make a dimple die cover to fill the lower bed panel in front of the rear tire..:flipoff2:
Nope. Still got plans of putting an ammo can there...:flipoff2:

Made some half doors...:smokin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Well... I'll go ahead and throw in some pics of a current issue I'm having with some new heavy duty transfer case mounts. Not going to bash on anyone's shit, but I can't seem to buy anything that actually bolts on without mods.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Attention to detail is superb. Killer build!
Killer work!
Thanks guys, we try...

Couldn't have built this truck without the help of my wife. She helped with every single part of the build, from cleaning nasty 30 year old axle housings, to grabbing tools before I'd even asked for them... She's amazing! However, she also provided the occasional laugh. Stopped her just seconds before she threw this bearing packer across the shop after failing to have enough weight to pack the bearing with grease... Good times!

Attachments

81 - 100 of 270 Posts