Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 180 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Idk how I didn't see the inclinometer update. I would kick down for a custom bezel like that.
Very cool.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Any updates on this POS? ;)

No big updates, but have done a bunch of small stuff. Added a POV camera and digital recorder, hardwired ham radio, minor frame reinforcements at the front leaf spring mounts, etc. I’ll post some pics soon, life’s just been busy lately....

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Idk how I didn't see the inclinometer update. I would kick down for a custom bezel like that.
Very cool.

No kick down necessary. Send me a pm with an email address and I’ll send you the file when I get a chance. It’s real easy to print onto transperancy film with a standard inkjet and cutout with an exacto. The file is layered so it’s easy to remove the OCD logo. Did it in both standard and mirrored image as well as with white and yellow numbers. The mirrored image looks best when backlight is on, but you can pick what you like. You can either use your plastic lens and remove the factory print from the back, or use your lens to make an MDF router template and router yourself a new lens. It was time consuming, but all simple stuff...

I still need to print out the x-cab truck images for the gauges and put mine back together. Hopefully before summer....:D

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Not much of an update, but did get a couple minor things done on this truck. Had an issue with the threads of the 18mm x 120mm front spring hanger bolts cutting into the hanger itself. Added some weld washers for spacing and cut down some 150mm bolts so the bearing surface is on the shank of the bolt and not on the threads. Also, finally added some little storage boxes under the bed. Originally went with larger ones, but they looked funny. These will be fine. Got a couple spill kits in mine. The wife wants to keep a bottle of JD in hers....:shaking:

I tried to fix the first 2 pics multiple times, but my phone is angry with me, I give up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Rear shackle bolt holes are worn out and the threads of the 120mm long bolts severely cut into the inside shackle. Adding spacers and going to 150mm long bolts to get off the threads on this new set. We’ll see how it goes....

Considering a 3rd 18mm bolt and thick wall tube / sleeve in the middle of each shackle to help keep them parallel. Figure it would give me the ability to shorten / lengthen the sleeve if width adjustment is needed. Know I’ve seen other build threads where this has been done before, but can’t find them now that I’m looking. Anyone know where I can find pics of this type of shackle setup or something similar? Not looking for fixed / welded parallel setups, found lots of those, looking for ideas on something adjustable. Come on, it’s Sunday, spoon feed me...

Attachments

·
Run what you brung.
887 Posts
I had a Jonny Joint on the frame side rear. It's not adjustable but it did a good job at reducing the binding.

Rear shackle bolt holes are worn out and the threads of the 120mm long bolts severely cut into the inside shackle. Adding spacers and going to 150mm long bolts to get off the threads on this new set. We’ll see how it goes....

Considering a 3rd 18mm bolt and thick wall tube / sleeve in the middle of each shackle to help keep them parallel. Figure it would give me the ability to shorten / lengthen the sleeve if width adjustment is needed. Know I’ve seen other build threads where this has been done before, but can’t find them now that I’m looking. Anyone know where I can find pics of this type of shackle setup or something similar? Not looking for fixed / welded parallel setups, found lots of those, looking for ideas on something adjustable. Come on, it’s Sunday, spoon feed me...

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
While the shackles are out being plated, figured I’d get another small project off the list.

Was at my buddy’s shop using the lathe and he asks me “whatcha buildin?”. Told him how it’s a PITA to get a wrench out to take the nuts off that hold down the hi-lift, and that these would help me get my jack off faster. Once he stopped laughing at me, he named my new part the “jack-off faster” :shaking:

I’ll build them out of SS eventually, but I had a chunk of the T6 hex stock laying around and wanted to make sure I’d like them before I go buy material. They worked out nice so far. Could have just bought a wing nut I guess, but where’s the fun in that...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
A knurled knob might be cool too, especially if your're looking to always just take it on and off by hand.

clean work
Agreed. A knurled knob would have been sweet, but I’m not allowed to use the knurling tool for the lathe anymore unsupervised. Got a little aggressive once upon a time and broke one of the wheels, took about a week to get the replacement and held up one his shop projects. He was NOT happy with me...:mad3:

These are large enough to get a good grip on by hand and seem to work well. Little big and funny looking, but whatever, no wrench required. Definitely going to do a few things differently on the SS set later...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Truck murdered some more shackle plates and bushings. To be expected I guess. Got it all back together a few weeks ago and had a ton of fun running it up and down the Rubicon last week. No good wheeling pics, but had a great time!

Only other recent upgrade was a functional dome light. Pathetic, I know, but long overdue. We thought there’d be no more hunting in the dark through the cab for stuff, but we went with this 6 LED retina searing light that renders you blind whenever the door is opened..:homer:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
You need to get sleeves in the bushings and step down to a ~1/2" bolt. I don't know why Toyota aftermarket companies started using giant bolts that you can't really tighten, but it's not the correct way.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
You need to get sleeves in the bushings and step down to a ~1/2" bolt. I don't know why Toyota aftermarket companies started using giant bolts that you can't really tighten, but it's not the correct way.

Agreed. All of the kits available at the time seemed to use the oversized 18mm bolts. I should have applied some common sense and realized this wouldn’t work out long term...

Sleeving the bushings at the F/R shackles and picking up some shackle plates with smaller bolt holes should be a quick fix. The frame hangers will require some weld washers with a smaller bolt hole. Got a handful of trips planned for this summer / fall, fixing this will prob need to wait until next winter when we don’t need the truck. Thought about just enlarging the hole in the bushing and sleeving the existing bolts. Would prob work out ok on the larger rear bushpings, but don’t think there’s enough meat on the smaller front bushings for it to be a good idea...

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Agreed. All of the kits available at the time seemed to use the oversized 18mm bolts. I should have applied some common sense and realized this wouldn’t work out long term...

Sleeving the bushings at the F/R shackles and picking up some shackle plates with smaller bolt holes should be a quick fix. The frame hangers will require some weld washers with a smaller bolt hole. Got a handful of trips planned for this summer / fall, fixing this will prob need to wait until next winter when we don’t need the truck. Thought about just enlarging the hole in the bushing and sleeving the existing bolts. Would prob work out ok on the larger rear bushpings, but don’t think there’s enough meat on the smaller front bushings for it to be a good idea...
I definitely wouldn't try to do an 18mm id sleeve.

Iirc, I just used 3/4 120 Dom, 3/4 is obviously a little bigger than 18mm, but with a little greese and few blows they'll go in.

Do the weld washers, get some 1" solid, bore 1/2" (or 1" 250 wall obviously) then turn a 3/16 deep by 18mm step into one side. Then cut 3/8 over all thick. Boom weld washer.

161 - 180 of 270 Posts