Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-Huge thanks to Dave's Off Road Supply for hooking up Carl & The Rescue Truck with Yukon gears and lockers, a ton of stuff from Ruff Stuff, PSC steering, Beard seats & harnesses.
-Thanks again to Brandon for letting his shop serve as Fat Boy Fab HQ.

The goal of the project is to transform Carl's '88 RCLB W150/W250 (more on this later) into a highly capable trail truck that will ultimately serve as our wheeling contingent's (aka Fat Boy Fabrication - Brandon, Carl, Andy, and a few friends from southern MD) work horse and trail rescue truck. The plan includes:
-Dodge 29 spline NV4500, Behemoth, & twin stick 205 swap
-GM D60 front, late model 14 bolt rear w/factory disk brakes
-Stock inner 60 shafts w/D70 outers, solid Spicer 60 u-joints & 35 spline hubs
-Stock 14 bolt rear shafts
-CUCV Detroit rear, LockRight front & CUCV 4.56s
-40" MTRs on KMC Machete XD bead locks
-PSC full hydro
-Raise inter-cooler to be able to recces the new winch into the new front hanger/winch mount
-6" - 8" front stretch w/52"s
-Move rear axle forward about 18" w/63"s
-Square tube & boat sided rockers, tube bed & cage
-Seats & harnesses
-KDP fix
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before we got really rolling on the build, Carl and his Dad fixed the 6BT's KDP, swapped out the A518 for the NV4500 out of a 2nd gen, new Behemoth, and a GM round pattern 205. They raised the intercooler a good bit and swapped in a PSC P-pump.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The new rear frame rails are a combination of 2"x3" x 3/16" and 2" x 4" x 3/16"
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
welding the new to old
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
more new to old
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then we started on the front frame rails and the new winch / front spring mount made to fit the 31.5" C-C Chevy D60 spring perch spacing. We spliced in 2" x 4" x3/16" into the existing frame horns, removed the factory front spring hangers from the frame (torched and ground the rivets), and incorporated them into the new hanger.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Fast forward; we cut and welded in several gusseting and reinforcement plates
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
back to the rear frame for a sec
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We're caught up in the last few pictures.
-Ride height will about 2" above what's shown here.
-Carl started trimming the fenders and core support to clear the tires at full stuff & full lock.
-The 40s won't contact the firewall at full stuff & full lock thanks to the stretch.
We're supposed to receive a ton of parts this week like Sky Mfg's D60 high steer arms, new leaf packs, stuff Ruff Stuff and Artec too. Next steps are going to focus on getting the front suspension and steering set. More to come.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,364 Posts
Interesting. I am curious to see where this is going. I hope that Warlock fender is only there for a mock-up. Original Utiline steel fenders are getting very rare and it would be a waste to dent one up on a trail rig. I'd toss a set of GM repop fiberglass stepside fenders on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The plan is to run those fenders and either protect them with some tastful tube work or make them removable for trail time. I feel like we’ve already given them new life, because the whole stepside bed was pulled from a local junk yard. Admittedly it’s quite amazing to find a set in this condition at all, let alone on the East coast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Why stack the new rear section of frame on top of the old section?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stacking the new over the old was mainly for simplicity and does a few things:
-Prevented us from having to fabricate the frame rails with steps in them over the axle which which saved time, material, and labor, and decreased our chances for error during the fabrication process.
-Raised the position of the rear bumper, rear recovery points, and shackles so hopefully they won't get knocked around as much as if they were mounted lower
-Provided more room for uptravel and/or lowering the truck's COG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After some quality time card board templating, torching, grinding and welding, we tied the new & old frame rails together, burned in the rear spring shackle hangers, hung the leafs and mocked up the smoothed bottom 14 bolt.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top