Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been helping a friend/part time shop helper build his Jeep for the last few years.. Its finally about finished so I figured it was time to share the build.

This is what the jeep started out as

The basic build started as me being hired to build the 4 link susp. and swap in some one tons under it, and run some 42" tires.

Anthony bought some 1-tons and the build began.. Almost as fast as the build began, it had to be put on hold for financial reasons. It ended up sitting in the corner of my shop for almost a year before we got back on it. At this point, the build started to change directions and when from a simple axle swap and susp. build, to lets see how low we can make it sit. So at this point I began cutting things to make it sit as low as humanly possible

The jeep then got put on hiatus again, but not for very long.. The build plan kept evolving and a few things fell in line . A friend was parting out his rig http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550474 so we decided that the backhalved frame and a chopped tub would be a better option for a hardcore rig that was going to see alot of abuse. So with that I chopped the tub and we "recycled" another rig into this one.

The previous owner had hacked up the tubework some since I originally built it a few years ago, so that was going to need to be addressed

In the shop and ready to begin

More to come!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Are the rear tub sides going to be re-used ? If not, shoot me a PM, as I need a set of rear tub sides to finish my project.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So at this point I began building the 4 link for the 1-tons.. The direction of the build at this point was snowballing almost daily. A LT1/4L60E was purchased and put in place of the 4.0L. At this point the engine was dropped in, and I finished up the rear susp.

Overhead veiw of the rear double triangulated 4 link. Most of the interior cage tubes are getting cut out and redone

LT1/4L60E is mounted

42" swampers at full stuff.(we will trim whatever is needed to clear during articulation)

Rear frame mounts for the rear links

Rear lower link and shock mounts

Starting to look like a jeep again

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the rear tub sides going to be re-used ? If not, shoot me a PM, as I need a set of rear tub sides to finish my project.
It was chopped a few years ago.. I am just getting around to posting the build thread since progress has been so slow on the rig

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the original tubework wasnt going to work with what we had planned, so it was cut out and redone.

New front section of the cage. Anthony bent and notched these parts himslf, with a little help from me. He made one measurement error which resulted in the pillar having to be cut and spliced, but its not that big of a deal.

Sliced in a new rocker tube section, as well as added hip bars.. thes will run all the way to the firewall and connect to the tube fenders

One of the front coilovers mounted. We found out the front axle was a FUBAR'd POS and since none of the 42's Anthony had were holding air very dry rotted) we decided to make some more changes in the build

After many direction changes, this jeep has finally hit the end of the build spectrum. Not much else can be cut or modified and retain the major parts of the "jeep".

The original owner of the Busted Fury TJ(which this build now has the frame and cage from) had been building a buggy with rockwells, and 49's. That project was stopped dead in its tracks when he found out his wife was expecting,so the rockwells and 49's found a new home

Nice and low(well for 49's and rockwells :flipoff2: )

Start of the rear tube work. Still waiting on parts to build the rear susp.

Upper link mounts. They just clear at full stuff

Side view. Final wheelbase will be 120"

Since we have alot of swamp here, the 49's will be a better choice, and with a low ride height, it wont be to big

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we redid the rear tube work, a rear winch mount was on the agenda. The rear body panels will eventually follow it around and tie into the back plate

Rear coilovers are mounted

Bottom of the rear winch plate. The large cutout was left since the winch will be used mostly for sucking down the rear axle for climbs/decents

Pretty tight fit for the winch

I then moved to adding brace tubes in the rear section of the jeep

I'll post more of the build a little later

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics of all the tubework in the back finished up

Since it was a roller at this point we took some pics of it at full stuff

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a header kit from speedway motors so we could clear the upper links

The jeep will have rear steer, and I am a dealer for POS so its only natural that I would use Sean's steering components on the rig

The start of the front tubework

The idea was to high line the hood and keep the tube work tucked in along the hood. Here is where we ran into some problems.. The PO of the cage/frame had been involved in so many roll overs that the frame was tweaked pretty bad. The solution was to put anchors in the shop floor, use some turnbuckles and steel cable and pull everything back to square

Once we got everything square, the front shocks could be mounted and tubework completed

more pics in a bit

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for some more pics. Once we got all the new tubework in, we were able to remove the anchors holding the frame square. I threw a set of coilovers with spring that I had on it just to get an idea of where it would sit

Winch mount under construction.

Custom radiator clamp that Anthony made.

Rear steer valve mount

Along the way, Anthony was taught an important lesson about shop safety

luckily he got away with no damage other than a pair of ripped shorts

A few pics of the winch plate being finished up

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Winch plate pretty much done

Up next was the exhaust. Anthony wanted the exh. to run all the way to the back of the jeep, but be tucked away so it couldnt be seen so we put it in the "bed" area in the back of the jeep. Hopefully we wont have any issues with the heat on the winch or later fuel cell

Once the exhaust was done, we moved onto the steering, and other little things that had to be finished up
Started on the steering first. A few mods had to be done to the rockwell 3rd member

We wanted the steering ram as close to the 3rd as possible, and as high up as possible, and since the bearing cover is what determines bearing preload, we cut off the pinion snout that sticks out in order to get the ram closer. We then made a mounting plate that bolted off the pinion support for the ram mount

The fenders are plated finally

Anthony also finally got all the cage gussets and spreaders in and although its missing in this pic, a full engine cage has been built too

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear steering is done

Steering coolers. There are 2 of them, one for each pump, mounted up under the rear fenders

Firewall cage tie ins.. These bolt to the front tubework in the engine bay

I came up with an idea for a burly battery tray, and I had Anthony cut a bunch of shapes out and this is how it ended up

Engine oil cooler mounted to the firewall

Engine cage. You can also see the oil cooler and battery tray in the pic

Front driveline is in. I am not really happy about how this came out, but everything clears, and nothing binds so we'll see how it does. There isnt a whole lot of room to do anything else

The front driveshaft just clears the lower links

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuel cell is almost done. It will sit under a deck lid just behind the front seats

The fuel cell was made to use a TJ style fuel pump

This will get mounted to the fuel cell somewhere. Its a fuel solenoid that stays shut till 12v is supplied to it.. It will be used attached to a kill switch as a safety measure.. If for whatever reason the fuel cell becomes seperated from the jeep(like in a very hard rollover etc.) the valve will shut as it loses electrical connection, or if the master kill is hit, preventing fuel from leaving the cell, which could cause a fire

The fuel cell also has a center sump

These pics pretty much bring the build up to date where it sits right now. We will be tearing the rig down today to fully weld everything, and then finishing out the dash and other little things once it goes back together

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Lookin good, The old Busted Fury axles are two houses over from me and are living under a LJ.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, this thread hasnt been updated in a while.

Start of the steering fluid resivior

All finished

Fuel cell mounted

Battery mounted in the battery box

Rear upper link trus is done

Jeep as it sits right now

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more pics of this pile

Steering and brake lines. I will probably go back and redo/clean these up since we are no longer trying to meet a deadline for the jeep

Rear pinion brake

Fuel cell plumbed and wired

The Dash. Its still a good ways from being finished. We still have to build the side and bottom plates for it, as well as sand all the welds down smooth

Looks like a jeep again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts