Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, same YJ again... the background is our friend had her YJ out with us in the Pismo Dunes. She gets it stuck in the bottom of a bowl. While trying to get out, the rear axle started hopping, and she ended up breaking the spider gears.

Then one of the broken teeth wedged itself in the R&P, which locked the back end, and the Xfer case output shaft blew. So we flat towed her YJ home.

She's a poor student, so told her I'd fix it for free, she's just need to cover whatever parts are needed. Thanks to the generousity of 2 people on this BBS we got the Jeep back on the road lickity split... but its had a driveline vibe ever since.

Just this weekend I got the rear shaft down to a driveline shop, and sure enough, it was out of round. They didn't have time this weekend to re-tube it, so its still bent. (oh, and driveable... with only moderate vibes)

We could have the shaft retubed... but thought we'd start by finding a cheap, stock replacement. Any of you guys have your stock YJ rear drive shafts laying around? Email me and let me know what you want for it! Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Scott, I will not get home till about 9:00 tonight, can we meet after that? Where in San Jose are you?

Originally posted by swilson:
<STRONG>Excellent, assuming Denis is free later this evening, I'll be stopping by to buy his old shaft.

Thanks!</STRONG>

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didn't work out after all... the u-joint on the pinion-end of Denis' 92 drive shaft was much smaller than the one on Sara's YJ. Also the tube was longer than the tube on the 95. I'll be returning the shaft to him today.

Anyone in the south bay area have a stock driveshaft that will fit?

Can anyone tell me what years I can pull shafts from?? I had guessed that they were pretty much the same though the years....wrong.

Sara's is a 95 YJ with a Dana 35C rear end.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by swilson:
<STRONG>It didn't work out after all... the u-joint on the pinion-end of Denis' 92 drive shaft was much smaller than the one on Sara's YJ. Also the tube was longer than the tube on the 95. I'll be returning the shaft to him today.

Anyone in the south bay area have a stock driveshaft that will fit?

Can anyone tell me what years I can pull shafts from?? I had guessed that they were pretty much the same though the years....wrong.

Sara's is a 95 YJ with a Dana 35C rear end.</STRONG>

Is it a 5 speed or auto? I know that makes a difference on a TJ, prob does on a YJ also. I have a rear driveshaft out of a '93 with a 6-cyl and 5-speed. It would take a while to ship it to you but I'd sell it for $20 if you can't find one locally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts