Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I welded the rear cage bars into Ruftoys 10 years ago, I knew that I would never be able to fit anything but a OE softtop onto the truck again. From that time until today, Ruftoys has pretty much garaged when not in use, so it wasn't and exposure issue. I made sure to squirrel away one Kayline repro top in the stash, along with the 5 or 6 sets of bows, and thought all would be good.

Slowly but surely over the years, one by one, my bows started to slip away. One set went to Jim Sickles over at Downey Off Road for an FJ40 project he never completed. Another went to David Tay, a fellow TLCA member. Another went to a real nice college kid I lost track of. Another went to Texas, where I can only assume it is in use.

By the time I got down to two sets, I was a little depressed. One of my wheeling buddies asked me about bows, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Seems he had picked up a very large military surplus tarp, something like 60 x 80 foot. :eek: Anyway, his plan was to have an OD green top made from this stuff. He said if I would sell him a set of bows, he would have a second top made up for me! :D That was about 4 years ago.

When he gave me the top, I rushed around looking for the two forward bows that tie the main hoop to the windshield frame AND COULDN'T FIND THEM. :mad3: It's been 4 years now, and I still haven't found them. :shaking:

Luckily, another cruiserhead picked up some extras from Ehsan and I got them from him a few months ago. In the process of pushing 3 of my truck projects forwards to see which gets to go to Surf N Turf, I installed the top today. WhoHoo!

Now my question is...............how long does it take for that oiled canvas smell to GO AWAY! :barf:

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
65SWB45 said:
Now my question is...............how long does it take for that oiled canvas smell to GO AWAY! :barf:
Until it goes a way or until you get use to it. :rolleyes:

Look good by the way :smokin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great looking top, Mark... Looks like a Surf & turf mobile to me

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Great retro look, Mark. I love that canvas look. I wonder if 303 would be a good product to protect the canvas from UV rays. Must be a better, canvas-specific thing to use.

I think I'd like the smell, too. Would remind me of a few deployments using GP medium tents. :smokin:

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4x4Poet said:
Great retro look, Mark. I love that canvas look. I wonder if 303 would be a good product to protect the canvas from UV rays. Must be a better, canvas-specific thing to use.

I think I'd like the smell, too. Would remind me of a few deployments using GP medium tents. :smokin:
Actually Walt, I was daydreaming earlier this year about making up something for the back of the 45LWB out of this stuff. Now I am ABSOLUTELY SURE I could not sleep inside anything made out of this!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sweet looking top. I have been scavenging OEM bow parts for a while and need a set of the forward bows to complete one set.

When I asked Eshan about buying parts, he didn't want to sell less than full sets :(

Maybe I'll try again...

Phil

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PJohnson said:
Sweet looking top. I have been scavenging OEM bow parts for a while and need a set of the forward bows to complete one set.

When I asked Eshan about buying parts, he didn't want to sell less than full sets :(

Maybe I'll try again...

Phil
I didn't get mine direct from Ehsan. A collector back east that puts stuff on Ebay from time to time put this pair up by themselves a few months back. Not sure why. They were not an exact match, but it only took like 2 minutes of tweaking each one to get them to work. They're definitely handmade, which matches the look of my top!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I have a spare set of the OEM bow parts that connect the windshield to the main forward bow. I bought them from Marv a few years back for $50 each, and then got a replica pair from Ehsan as they fit the newer door better. PM me if interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts