Pirate 4x4 banner

The straight poop on highway driven beadlocks?

3K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  TR 
#1 ·
First off, I've searched and searched. Most of the threads on the subject lead to posts stating search and never relay any useful information. Second, I'm not interested in the DOT legality issues so don't start. Okay, now to the topic at hand. I'm tired of beating up cheap steel wheels and slipping my tires on the rim enough to throw my balance off every wheeling trip. I'm about to order some MRT 18-bolt beadlocks and I need some input as to how they perform in the real world when they see 300 or so miles a week on the highway. I realize the bolts need to be retorqued periodically but other than that are there any drawbacks to running beadlocks on the highway? Are they difficult to balance? Has anyone had issues with the bolts shearing? I'll be running 34-35" tires on these rims in the 8" variety by the way. Any input from those who run beadlocks on the highway for prolonged periods of time is greatly apprecaited.

#2 ·
ballance issues- put some golf balls or bb's in there and forget about balance forever. If you dont know what I'm talkin about SEARCH.

bolt loosening- 300+ miles a week..... you're gonna hate them 'locks after a month of torqueing(sp?) twice a week.

Have heard reports of bolts breaking/shearing on highway use, vote is still out i belive on grade 5 or grade 8 bolts.

#3 ·
Just a thought here. Has anyone tried "safety wiring" the bolts on beadlocks? Would that effect wheel balance?

#7 ·
I run Eagle 589's converted to Champion beadlocks on my daily driver FJ40. 36 x 12.5 TSLs. I've had bolts loosen up only occasionally after hard wheelin runs. The only time I had trouble after highway driving was three slightly loose bolts following an 1100 mile drive out to Moab. I check them before and after every long trip.
I think a self centering beadlock is a must if you plan to drive it on the highway for any length of time or use it as a DD.

#9 ·
green73 said:
Just a thought here. Has anyone tried "safety wiring" the bolts on beadlocks? Would that effect wheel balance?
The bolts don't really loosen, but the Rubber they clamp to, moves around, so the bolt then come loose

#10 ·
I'm running the MRT 18 bolt beadlocks. They balance okay but they can leak. You sometimes have to seal the back of the bead to stop it. I've snapped about 6 bolts, doesn't matter what grade, I've snapped them all. Check for torque weekly. With that many miles a week I would think about street tires and off road tires, less hassle and save you some bucks in the long run.

#11 ·
I'm planning on streetability with my 32 bolt Rockstompers. They're not self centering, but it's not my DD either. I just wanna get it to the trail and back. Should be roll'n next week. I shall report. :D

#13 ·
you will blow a ring :D

nah its too much work to check the beadlocks every day, and the bolts work loose and they leak a bit

its a poor compromise, just get a nice set of bias tyres for offroad and lock em, like a TSL!

get a nice set of all terrains on chrome wheels :flipoff2: and street em!

#14 ·
godzuki said:
what about a hummer beadlock?
The Hummer beadlock is different.. since the "beadlock" is inside the rim, and bolts to itself, and the rim halves are clamping metal to metal, not metal to rubber.

Look at every Army Humvee.. I can only remember checking the torque on the rim half bolts once after changing a tire on my platoon's POS.

Basically, I wouldn't worry much about it, since it's not the same. But I would check the wheel bolt torque after the first run, and maybe a month or so after that... just to be safe.

#15 ·
RockBuggySupply.com makes a self centering DIY beadlock kit for 15" and 16" steelies. 32 3/8 grd8 buttonhead bolts---$80 per kit with the threaded inserts.
As far as shearing/breaking bolts? I have a theory that the countersunk bolts may be the hot ticket there. I think the countersunk bolts would be able to pivot a little to make up for the outer ring "coning."
I have the RBS locks and my rig is intended for street use, but not as a mandatory DD, I'm just gonna drive it when it runs/rolls!:D

#16 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm not going to run two sets of tires, mainly because I'm lazy. The trailready or chapion beadlocks would be ideal but they are just too much for my budget. I've decided against the 18 bolt MRT. If I decide to give beadlocks a try then I will go with the 32 bolt Allied. They aren't self-centering but I know a guy who has run two sets of them with Krawlers and 38" TSL's and his tires/wheels are smoother than my out-o-round steelies at 70 mph. I'm still up in the air so keep the comments and suggestions coming.

#17 ·
what about rockstompers beadlocks with nylock nuts,,would they be less likely to loosen,, i would think that the nylocks wouldnt loosen,,only thing that could cause a loose fit is if the tire moved around quite a bit i would think,,,i have no experience with these just thinkin out loud...maybe scott could chime in here..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.